Memo to By-By and Bri-Bri: THIS is how you do it

    Abandon all sanity ye who enter here

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 10 Feb 2009 02:12

shintemaster wrote:The project has been given to an author who has been a fan of the books since they first began, apparently they inspired him to become an author in the first place.

That sounds uncannily like Kevin's line. :shock:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

shintemaster
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Nov 2008 22:35

Postby shintemaster » 10 Feb 2009 17:05

SandChigger wrote:
shintemaster wrote:The project has been given to an author who has been a fan of the books since they first began, apparently they inspired him to become an author in the first place.

That sounds uncannily like Kevin's line. :shock:


:) Like I said, time will tell. The fact that the guy can argue plot points, over arching theories and knows the books back to front certainly bodes a lot better than Kevin "I'll just write what I want and then change the meaning of Frank's books later" Hack Anderson.

User avatar
Robspierre
Posts: 2161
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 10:49
Location: Cascadia

Postby Robspierre » 11 Feb 2009 13:40

shintemaster wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
shintemaster wrote:The project has been given to an author who has been a fan of the books since they first began, apparently they inspired him to become an author in the first place.

That sounds uncannily like Kevin's line. :shock:


:) Like I said, time will tell. The fact that the guy can argue plot points, over arching theories and knows the books back to front certainly bodes a lot better than Kevin "I'll just write what I want and then change the meaning of Frank's books later" Hack Anderson.


Jordan's wife was also an editor at TOR for twelve years, one of the real good ones according to various authors on line, so I think their is an editorial overview that Dune has been missing.

Rob

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1991
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Postby DuneFishUK » 11 Feb 2009 14:03

Robspierre wrote:
shintemaster wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
shintemaster wrote:The project has been given to an author who has been a fan of the books since they first began, apparently they inspired him to become an author in the first place.

That sounds uncannily like Kevin's line. :shock:


:) Like I said, time will tell. The fact that the guy can argue plot points, over arching theories and knows the books back to front certainly bodes a lot better than Kevin "I'll just write what I want and then change the meaning of Frank's books later" Hack Anderson.


Jordan's wife was also an editor at TOR for twelve years, one of the real good ones according to various authors on line, so I think their is an editorial overview that Dune has been missing.

Rob


A half decent editor / monkey with a red pen would improve nu-Dune tenfold. A decent editor with the right sort of overview and the means to enforce changes before publication might make it readable.

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 11 Feb 2009 15:43

Well, after all, Kevin shi...er, dictates perfect prose, so there's really nothing for an editor to do. :P

Eightyeight
Posts: 3
Joined: 11 Feb 2009 20:50

Postby Eightyeight » 11 Feb 2009 20:54

Freakzilla wrote:I don't think Pinky & The Brian could have done a good job with a trillion pages of notes.


Don't you mean they couldn't have pulled off a Dune book with 99% of the pages already written and done by of Frank.

They can't even get the main character's motivations right, with six effin books already written about them.