Analogies for New Dune!

    Abandon all sanity ye who enter here

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

User avatar
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener
Posts: 3294
Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

Analogies for New Dune!

Postby Nekhrun » 10 Jun 2008 13:32

I didn't think the metaphor thread was enough so...

New Dune:Science Fiction::Condom:Having lots of kids

New Dune:Enjoyment::arnoldo:Smart

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18345
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 10 Jun 2008 13:51

New Dune:Sci-Fi::MD 20/20:Liquor
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener
Posts: 3294
Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

Postby Nekhrun » 10 Jun 2008 14:54

You're lucky you didn't use Boone's Farm. Then we'd have to have words. :D

User avatar
Tleilax Master B
Posts: 674
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:54
Location: Desert of New Mexico

Postby Tleilax Master B » 10 Jun 2008 15:04

Nekhrun wrote:You're lucky you didn't use Boone's Farm. Then we'd have to have words. :D


Yuck, you minnesotans have no taste :wink:

KJA:Good Author::My Turds:Chocolate
Image

User avatar
Phaedrus
Posts: 551
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 04:35

Postby Phaedrus » 10 Jun 2008 15:13

New Dune: books :: McDonald's : food

New Dune: literature :: Brittney Spears: music.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18345
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 10 Jun 2008 15:17

Nekhrun wrote:You're lucky you didn't use Boone's Farm. Then we'd have to have words. :D


I considered Night Train, but I'm wasn't sure everyone would know that one.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Postby orald » 10 Jun 2008 15:58

I seriously doubt McDonalds have such bad food as the trendy liberal, tree-hugging fad claims...Food for the stomach, as opposed to for the brain, is different in that every human creature has at least some shread of natural, intinctive taste, and won't come back to eat it each time if it was that bad(and it's pricey too, no? maybe just here, though frankly I'll be dead before I waste my money on that kind of stuff, shuarma and falafel are much better than any hamburger can be).

Just my rant, it's getting annoying how much people diss McDonalds.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 10 Jun 2008 16:31

orald wrote:I seriously doubt McDonalds have such bad food as the trendy liberal, tree-hugging fad claims...Food for the stomach, as opposed to for the brain, is different in that every human creature has at least some shread of natural, intinctive taste, and won't come back to eat it each time if it was that bad(and it's pricey too, no? maybe just here, though frankly I'll be dead before I waste my money on that kind of stuff, shuarma and falafel are much better than any hamburger can be).

Just my rant, it's getting annoying how much people diss McDonalds.


I wouldn't bet on it. That shit's barely even digestable. Bleached grain bread that's mostly sugar and preservatives, "100% real beef" is the name of the company that makes the patties, not what's actually in them, and there's something like three times your daily salt requirements in one of their meals.

Trust me... it ain't nutrituos.
Image

User avatar
Serkanner
Administrator
Posts: 2904
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Postby Serkanner » 10 Jun 2008 16:52

orald wrote: intinctive taste, and won't come back to eat it each time if it was that bad(and it's pricey too, no?


Your post actually illustrates my comparison between the new dune and McDonalds perfectly. I fell for the burger six times before I really started to "taste" it and didn't start on the last two ( for the time being ).

It's all instinct!

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Postby orald » 10 Jun 2008 17:21

AToE wrote:Trust me... it ain't nutrituos.

Never said it was, just that it doesn't taste like shit if people pay overmuch to eat it.

Serk, Reading is a bit different than eating, that's my point.
You don't have to be a brain-surgeon to know if something tastes like shit, but you can eat well and read shit and like it 'cause you're dumb. Taste buds don't require much brain power.

I'd compare the pre's, for a preek, to some over-sweet candy- full of explosions, shallow(and thus understandable for simpletons) writing and cheap sex scenes- just what a dumb kid(i.e preek) likes.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.



I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

User avatar
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener
Posts: 3294
Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

Postby Nekhrun » 10 Jun 2008 17:38

I don't get it, were those supposed to be analogies?

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Postby orald » 10 Jun 2008 18:01

Umm...of course? :P

To paraphrase a truly great man:

I would venture to say that the prequels are like(=analogy, right? right?) a small section of toilet paper that I used to wipe my bum on and discard into a port-a-pottie where it sits atop other fecal material only to fester amongst the mound of shite-eating flies that buzz around them before another large turd comes flying downward on top of them.

:wink:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.



I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

User avatar
Phaedrus
Posts: 551
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 04:35

Postby Phaedrus » 10 Jun 2008 19:33

orald wrote:like(=analogy, right? right?)


Nope.
Metaphors and similes are similar, but not the same. Those two are when you compare one thing to another, usually for imagery. The difference is that similes use "like" or "as," while metaphors are direct equivalences.

Analogies have more to do with relationships between things, and applying the same concept more than once. I have trouble defining these terms explicitly, but read through the threads for examples.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

User avatar
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener
Posts: 3294
Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

Postby Nekhrun » 10 Jun 2008 21:10

Phaedrus wrote:
orald wrote:like(=analogy, right? right?)


Nope.
Metaphors and similes are similar, but not the same. Those two are when you compare one thing to another, usually for imagery. The difference is that similes use "like" or "as," while metaphors are direct equivalences.

Analogies have more to do with relationships between things, and applying the same concept more than once. I have trouble defining these terms explicitly, but read through the threads for examples.

I should've seen this coming.

Metaphor--comparison where the thing you're comparing is/takes on the qualities of what you're comparing it to.

Simile--comparison using "like" or "as".

Analogy--similarity between things on which a comparison can be based.
_______is to________ as________is to________.

:wink:

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Postby orald » 11 Jun 2008 03:20

:roll:

Shall I go repost my beautiful simile at the appropriate thread then? :wink:

McDune:Dune::Hillary:Sanity.

Wordcount:KJA::Money:$ceintology.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.



I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

User avatar
Mr. Teg
Moderator
Posts: 699
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
Location: Chair
Contact:

Postby Mr. Teg » 11 Jun 2008 07:33

orald wrote:Umm...of course? :P

To paraphrase a truly great man:

I would venture to say that the prequels are like(=analogy, right? right?) a small section of toilet paper that I used to wipe my bum on and discard into a port-a-pottie where it sits atop other fecal material only to fester amongst the mound of shite-eating flies that buzz around them before another large turd comes flying downward on top of them.

:wink:


:lol:
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP

User avatar
Tleilax Master B
Posts: 674
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:54
Location: Desert of New Mexico

Postby Tleilax Master B » 11 Jun 2008 08:28

orald wrote:I seriously doubt McDonalds have such bad food as the trendy liberal, tree-hugging fad claims...Food for the stomach, as opposed to for the brain, is different in that every human creature has at least some shread of natural, intinctive taste, and won't come back to eat it each time if it was that bad(and it's pricey too, no? maybe just here, though frankly I'll be dead before I waste my money on that kind of stuff, shuarma and falafel are much better than any hamburger can be).

Just my rant, it's getting annoying how much people diss McDonalds.


Ever seen the movie Super Size Me? Watch that and you'll see what McDonalds does to someone who eats there regularly--it aint pretty.....

Just FYI too Orald, McDonalds is cheap, not pricey.
Image

User avatar
Hunchback Jack
Posts: 1983
Joined: 30 May 2008 15:02
Location: California, USA

Postby Hunchback Jack » 11 Jun 2008 11:59

Off topic, but whenever I see this thread in the list under "The Prequels/Sequels", I always read it as "Apologies for New Dune".

Oh, if only that were the case ...

HBJ

User avatar
Mandy
Cat Herder
Posts: 1702
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18
Contact:

Postby Mandy » 11 Jun 2008 14:37

Hunchback Jack wrote:Off topic, but whenever I see this thread in the list under "The Prequels/Sequels", I always read it as "Apologies for New Dune".

Oh, if only that were the case ...

HBJ


lol.. me too! But I keep thinking of it in the same way as Christian apologetics.

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Postby orald » 11 Jun 2008 14:57

Tleilax Master B wrote:Ever seen the movie Super Size Me? Watch that and you'll see what McDonalds does to someone who eats there regularly--it aint pretty.....

I hear that movie is about as objective as a Michael Moore propoganda special. :roll:
I know what happens when one eas lots of fatty foods and without fruits etc.

Just FYI too Orald, McDonalds is cheap, not pricey.

Maybe just here then. I mean, a falafel dish etc costs at least half or even less than half AFAIK.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.



I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 11 Jun 2008 15:20

mmmmm... Falafel.
Image

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18345
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 11 Jun 2008 15:22

Supersize Me is not objective at all, but that's the point. He eats nothing but McDonalds for 30 days and it damn near kills him.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Phaedrus
Posts: 551
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 04:35

Postby Phaedrus » 11 Jun 2008 15:36

orald wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:Ever seen the movie Super Size Me? Watch that and you'll see what McDonalds does to someone who eats there regularly--it aint pretty.....

I hear that movie is about as objective as a Michael Moore propoganda special. :roll:
I know what happens when one eas lots of fatty foods and without fruits etc.


I haven't seen the entire movie, but I know he has to eat every item on the menu at least once, in a sort of balanced way.

The point is that there's no way eating McDonald's can be healthy for you.

And, that movie helped. The last few times I've been to McDonald's, they've put a lot of effort into improving their menu and image. It's nice to walk into a clean restaurant and actually get to eat a half-decent burger for a good price. It's still not the best thing in the world(or even close, it still kind of sucks, but that's expected of fast food), but I think it's gotten at least a tiny bit better. Any improvement is better than nothing.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Postby orald » 11 Jun 2008 16:12

CLEAN SWEET CLEAN BRIGHT CLEAN PURE CLEAN:Harkonnen::Norma stops lasgun explosions with her latent prescience, narf!:KJA.

AToE wrote:mmmmm... Falafel.

And that's just humus grains, when there's meat(shuarma etc) it's way better! :D
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.



I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

User avatar
Hunchback Jack
Posts: 1983
Joined: 30 May 2008 15:02
Location: California, USA

Postby Hunchback Jack » 11 Jun 2008 18:06

Mmm ... shuarma.

We've got a great Shuama place just near where I work. Tasty.

HBJ,
hasn't had lunch yet.