Paul of Dune..can u smell it yet?

    Abandon all sanity ye who enter here

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

User avatar
Tleilax Master B
Posts: 674
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:54
Location: Desert of New Mexico

Paul of Dune..can u smell it yet?

Postby Tleilax Master B » 11 Jun 2008 13:14

I was farting around today and came across this advertisement for the new Pall of Dune steamer:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/serie ... f-dune.htm

Here is the little blurb they have on it:

Frank Herbert's Dune ended with Paul Muad'Dib in control of the planet Dune. Herbert's next Dune book, Dune Messiah, picked up the story several years later after Paul's armies had conquered the galaxy. But what happened between Dune and Dune Messiah? How did Paul�create his empire and become the Messiah? Following in the footsteps of Frank Herbert, New York Times bestselling authors Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson are answering these questions in Paul of Dune.

The Muad'Dib's jihad is in full swing. His warrior legions march from victory to victory. But beneath the joy of victory there are dangerous undercurrents. Paul, like nearly every great conqueror, has enemies--those who would betray him to steal the awesome power he commands. . . .

And Paul himself begins to have doubts: Is the jihad getting out of his control? Has he created anarchy? Has he been betrayed by those he loves and trusts the most? And most of all, he wonders: Am I going mad?

Paul of Dune is a novel everyone will want to read and no one will be able to forget.


Dreadful. But I wouldn't be living up to my reputation if I didn't pick it apart and trash it, mostly out-of-context :wink:


And Paul himself begins to have doubts: Is the jihad getting out of his control?

That was already established in Dune, dumbshits. Paul states quite explicitly that the Jihad would roll on with or without him.

Has he been betrayed by those he loves and trusts the most?


Yes, Yueh. Frank already took care of that little plot line.
(Oh, the suspense is killing me..... :roll: )

And most of all, he wonders: Am I going mad?


Oh, for the love of gawd. I think i just threw up in my little, gray mouth. You know this is going to take stupid to all new levels. Hope he is cured by the time it gets to the sequel to Paul of Dune--Dune Messiah. I'm dreading this....

Paul of Dune is a novel everyone will want to read and no one will be able to forget.


Oh I'm certain of that. I'll want to read it to lambaste the shit out of it. And I doubt I will be able to forget it, as it will likely take sucking to levels that have never been achieved by mere mortals... :evil:
Image

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 11 Jun 2008 13:29

How did Paul�create his empire and become the Messiah?


Umm. Well, he did this thing where he threatended to destroy all spice production unless they gave him the job of emperor - and ah, he became the fremen messiah by exploiting the missionaria legends of the people, helped a bit being the KH and all...

I can't believe some of the shit I'm reading about this book.
Image

User avatar
trang
Posts: 1224
Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
Location: Hot Tub Time Machine
Contact:

Postby trang » 11 Jun 2008 14:38

Sucking Sign the likes God has never seen!!!!!!
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Image

User avatar
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener
Posts: 3294
Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

Re: Paul of Dune..can u smell it yet?

Postby Nekhrun » 11 Jun 2008 15:14

Tleilax Master B wrote:
And most of all, he wonders: Am I going mad?

Oh, for the love of gawd. I think i just threw up in my little, gray mouth. You know this is going to take stupid to all new levels. Hope he is cured by the time it gets to the sequel to Paul of Dune--Dune Messiah. I'm dreading this....

Ready to see him get lost in his visions like Paulo in Sadworms? I wonder how he'll snap out of it?

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Re: Paul of Dune..can u smell it yet?

Postby orald » 11 Jun 2008 16:17

Nekhrun wrote:Ready to see him get lost in his visions like Paulo in Sadworms? I wonder how he'll snap out of it?

Irulan will give him a BJ the way only a fully qualified BG can. :wink:

Bet lil' Brian would've liked to see that with Jessica and Chani waking up Paul in Dune, the dirty bastard. :shock:
Last edited by orald on 11 Jun 2008 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6677
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Paul of Dune..can u smell it yet?

Postby Omphalos » 11 Jun 2008 16:18

orald wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:Ready to see him get lost in his visions like Paulo in Sadworms? I wonder how he'll snap out of it?

Irulan will give him a BJ the way only a fully qualified BG can. :wink:

Bet lil' Brian would've liked to see that with Jessica and Chaney waking up Paul in Dune, the dirty bastard. :shock:


I'm telling you now. There will be a scene in that book where Paul sexually humiliates Irulan as a way of letting off steam of the jihad, mark my words.

User avatar
Hunchback Jack
Posts: 1983
Joined: 30 May 2008 15:02
Location: California, USA

Postby Hunchback Jack » 11 Jun 2008 18:28

The Muad'Dib's jihad is in full swing. His warrior legions march from victory to victory. But beneath the joy of victory there are dangerous undercurrents.


Joy of victory? Lord have mercy.

I don't remember Paul ever being really happy about the idea of the jihad. I mean, I think he was happy to get rid of Shaddam and become emperor, from a revenge-my-dad perspective, but he never wanted to be a messiah.

When I read the synopsis of this book, for every subject that is raised, I think either "but that was explained in Dune", or "but that was explained in Dune Messiah", or "but that's not what happened".

(BTW, I do think Paul was a hero, but a deeply conflicted, deeply flawed hero. Not a "jump in my starfighter and shoot up the bad guys" kind of hero)

HBJ
Last edited by Hunchback Jack on 11 Jun 2008 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Crysknife
Posts: 593
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 02:15
Location: SLC, punk

Postby Crysknife » 11 Jun 2008 18:32

Lord, will a plane please fall on KJA's house....
Image

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 11 Jun 2008 18:35

Hunchback Jack wrote:
The Muad'Dib's jihad is in full swing. His warrior legions march from victory to victory. But beneath the joy of victory there are dangerous undercurrents.


Joy of victory? Lord have mercy.

I don't remember Paul every being really happy about the idea of the jihad. I mean, I think he was happy to get rid of Shaddam and become emperor, from a revenge-my-dad perspective, but he never wanted to be a messiah.

When I read the synopsis of this book, for every subject that is raised, I think either "but that was explained in Dune", or "but that was explained in Dune Messiah", or "but that's not what happened".

(BTW, I do think Paul was a hero, but a deeply conflicted, deeply flawed hero. Not a "jump in my starfighter and shoot up the bad guys" kind of hero)

HBJ


Also, just to poke fun at who ever wrote it, they use the word victory three times out of nine words.
Image

User avatar
Tleszer
Posts: 2161
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:02

Postby Tleszer » 11 Jun 2008 18:58

Crysknife wrote:Lord, will a plane please fall on KJA's house....


**cue music from Mad World**

Frank the Bunny says: "No effing chance."
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 11 Jun 2008 19:00

And, as I have pointed out before, "The Muad'Dib's Jihad" is NOT NATIVE ENGLISH the way I speak (and TEACH) it.

Names [proper noun phrases] take articles in English only as exceptions to the rule. Dune, Arrakis, Paul, Chani, and the Landsraad, the Bene Gesserit, the Imperium, but NEVER the Muad'Dib.

Furthermore, names in possessive case act like determiners [articles] in English and you can't have two determiners of the same type in one noun phrase, so the the there can't be paired with Jihad because Muad'Dib's blocks it.

This is the kind of error my freshman students sometimes make. (You can get away with it in Japanese, so they just carry it over.) And I assume you all have noticed that it's being REPOSTED EVERYWHERE? :evil:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

User avatar
Phaedrus
Posts: 551
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 04:35

Postby Phaedrus » 11 Jun 2008 19:06

SandChigger wrote:And, as I have pointed out before, "The Muad'Dib's Jihad" is NOT NATIVE ENGLISH the way I speak (and TEACH) it.

Names [proper noun phrases] take articles in English only as exceptions to the rule. Dune, Arrakis, Paul, Chani, and the Landsraad, the Bene Gesserit, the Imperium, but NEVER the Muad'Dib.

Furthermore, names in possessive case act like determiners [articles] in English and you can't have two determiners of the same type in one noun phrase, so the the there can't be paired with Jihad because Muad'Dib's blocks it.

This is the kind of error my freshman students sometimes make. (You can get away with it in Japanese, so they just carry it over.) And I assume you all have noticed that it's being REPOSTED EVERYWHERE? :evil:


Oh, no. The grammar is intentional. They mean to call it The Mouse's Jihad.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 11 Jun 2008 19:21

No, not really.

But the non-native flavor of this one (which could be just a typo...but PROOFREAD FOR FOOK'S SAKE!!!) caught my eye.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

User avatar
Mr. Teg
Moderator
Posts: 699
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
Location: Chair
Contact:

Re: Paul of Dune..can u smell it yet?

Postby Mr. Teg » 11 Jun 2008 20:57

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Frank Herbert's Dune ended with Paul Muad'Dib in control of the planet Dune. Herbert's next Dune book, Dune Messiah, picked up the story several years later after Paul's armies had conquered the galaxy. But what happened between Dune and Dune Messiah? How did Paul�create his empire and become the Messiah? Following in the footsteps of Frank Herbert, New York Times bestselling authors Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson are answering these questions in Paul of Dune.

The Muad'Dib's jihad is in full swing. His warrior legions march from victory to victory. But beneath the joy of victory there are dangerous undercurrents. Paul, like nearly every great conqueror, has enemies--those who would betray him to steal the awesome power he commands. . . .

And Paul himself begins to have doubts: Is the jihad getting out of his control? Has he created anarchy? Has he been betrayed by those he loves and trusts the most? And most of all, he wonders: Am I going mad?

Paul of Dune is a novel everyone will want to read and no one will be able to forget.


Brian of Dune

Brian, like every writer, has critics--those who would judge him.

Brian himself begins to have doubts: Is the Franchise getting out of his control? Has he created a mediocracy? Has he betrayed those who loved and cherished his father's work? And most of all, he wonders: Am I going mad?

Brian of Dune is a biography everyone will want to read and no one will be able to forget.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP

User avatar
Tleilax Master B
Posts: 674
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:54
Location: Desert of New Mexico

Postby Tleilax Master B » 11 Jun 2008 21:35

trang wrote: Sucking Sign the likes God has never seen!!!!!!


Hehe. I like that :lol:
(inserting "of which" would make it perfect :P )
Image

User avatar
Robspierre
Posts: 2161
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 10:49
Location: Cascadia

Postby Robspierre » 12 Jun 2008 13:12

It's bad folks, from the latest Anderzone issue (which I get cause I got the Shatworms stickies):


The first book in this sequence, PAUL OF DUNE, is in effect a DIRECT SEQUEL (emphasis mine) to DUNE, filling in much of the story of Paul's Jihad; JESSICA OF DUNE also fits mostly into this time period. IRULAN OF DINE, a sequel to DUNE MESSIAH takes place after a blind Paul has walked off into the desert, leaving his empire in the hands of Alia. LETO OF DUNE takes place immediately after CHILDREN OF DUNE, showcasing the first years of the God Emperor's reign. (This latter novel is the story most requested in the fan mail we receive.)

User avatar
Phaedrus
Posts: 551
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 04:35

Postby Phaedrus » 12 Jun 2008 13:16

Irulan of Dine?

Perhaps it's effectively a manual on how to hold your chopsticks at the Imperial table?
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

User avatar
Robspierre
Posts: 2161
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 10:49
Location: Cascadia

Postby Robspierre » 12 Jun 2008 13:20

Phaedrus wrote:Irulan of Dine?

Perhaps it's effectively a manual on how to hold your chopsticks at the Imperial table?


I know it won't be dealing with her sexual frustration from being cut off from Paul's sandworm :D

Rob

User avatar
Serkanner
Administrator
Posts: 2903
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Postby Serkanner » 12 Jun 2008 17:28

Robspierre wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:Irulan of Dine?

Perhaps it's effectively a manual on how to hold your chopsticks at the Imperial table?


I know it won't be dealing with her sexual frustration from being cut off from Paul's sandworm :D

Rob


That one will be called "Urinal of Doom"

User avatar
chanilover
Posts: 1644
Joined: 18 Feb 2008 08:29

Postby chanilover » 14 Jun 2008 13:28

IRULAN OF DUNE

The new international best-seller from the pens of Kevin Anderson and Brian Herbert.

The Direct Successor to Dune the Messiah and the prequel to Children of the Dune

Paul-the-Muad’Dib, prophet of a tribe of desert religious maniacs, in a stroke of supreme irony, has been struck blind by the lasers fired from the eyes of a cymek who was hiding in the cupboard of that Fedaykin’s house, the one with the druggee daughter who was impersonated by that Face Dancer guy.

Will Paul accept eyes from the Thlieslaxu, or will he remain proudly blind? The future of the empire hangs in the balance as Paul’s prescience fails him when he receives a very bad blow job and is unable to correctly identify the fellator. Was it Chani, or Irulan in disguise?
The evil arch-enemy, Comb-Over Harkonnen, arrives on the scene with this army of admiring cocksuckers and arselickers, explaining how “born” really means “naming ceremony”, and casually re-writing history to cover up his fuck-ups. His legion of unquestioning sycophants gleefully munch on his shit, and in a twist which leaves the reader reeling, the identity of person who gave Paul the very bad blow-job is revealed to be none other than Comb-Over himself, when the Muad-Dibs jizz is discovered in Comb-Over’s hair.

A further surprise awaits the reader of this much-anticipated book, which involves Norma, a dirty toilet brush and a packet of Roast Beef Monster Munch. This book will live in the reader’s imagination for minutes.

Advance Praise for IRULAN OF DUNE –

Fucking great, although I found the language to be a bit fruity for my usual puritan tastes, and the sex scenes were derivative and unimaginative. Not a sniff of a lesbian minge-eating session in sight, most disappointing. ” – Hyppo of Arrakeen

The love scenes were sensational. I was actually moist on finishing the book” – Harriet Klausner

Compulsive reading, just like my eating disorder” – Anne McCaffrey

Magnufischent” – Mr R.E.Tard

I surmised it to be better than Dune the Messiah, but do’nut quote me on that” – Brian Herbert

Suck my sloppy cock, you OH bastards!” – Kevin J. Anderson

Kevin must die” – Orald of Jacurutu
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Image
Image

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18340
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 14 Jun 2008 17:20

Love the quotes. :lol:
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 14 Jun 2008 17:28

I was actually laughing out loud at the "live in the reader's imagination for minutes" and the quotes. Nicely done, nicely done.
Image

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 14 Jun 2008 17:35

Harriet lives! :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6677
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Postby Omphalos » 14 Jun 2008 17:42

Well, there is at least one book we know Harriet actually finished. :wink:

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Postby orald » 15 Jun 2008 08:51

chanilover wrote:Kevin must die” – Orald of Jacurutu

8)
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.



I wish I could have been with you that one last time.