Well, I finished it but I've only just come to terms with it. What can I say that hasn't been said a thousand times before? It was mesmerisingly bad, I don't think I've come across anything quite like it. It's like reading a transcript of a debate between Dubya Bush and Lipstick Bulldog Woman.
Scenes of particular note -
- the planet Prix. Apparently, some Honoured Matres were raised communally on Prix. I'm not sure if that was meant to be a joke, but it was the only part of the book which made me chuckle
- whores whores whores, look out for the whores, the whores are coming, did you hear the whores have joined the Bene Gesserit typical of the whores did I hear you say whore? Yes you did and I'll say it again whores whores whores!
- Yueh unplugging the axlotl tank to kill the baby Piter but no! He was wrong, he has killed the foetus of the baby Leto, the Red Duke! Oh, the humanity! Apparently, when Yueh was told this, he looked like he had been felled with an axe. I have never seen someone felled with an axe, although I have seen the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and I imagine it would look something like a scene from that movie. The language in this book is so bad it's astonishing
- the story of the dagger which was the dagger given by Shaddam to Leto as a gift and later Leto gave it back to Shaddam at his trial but then Shaddam gave it to Feyd-Rautha in the duel with Paul and then Hasimir stabbed Paul with it and they found the dagger with some blood and grew the ghola of Paolo and then Erasmus says "I love convoluted stories". What a pile of shit, the only people who would find this story convoluted are idiots. Anyone else would just find it tedious.
- Paul sucking his blood back in like a sponge, in the same way preeks suck this shit-filled drivel into their brains and somehow convert it into "a good book"
- the Face Dancer plot is revealed, and Paul lets out a whistle. Paul has been turned into an all-American retard. I'm surprised he didn't say, "dude, that's freakin AWESOME!"
- never again will Tleilaxu females become tanks, as Scytale is now a good guy! I think this is the worst scene, it's is so infantile that you would laugh at it if you weren't so numb from the pages of shite which had preceded it
I had a grudging respect for preeks at one point, as I thought the books weren't that bad, and it was just a matter of taste. This book is so fucking crap and I am amazed that anyone would even try to defend it. It doesn't deserve the word "DUNE" on the title, but let's face it, without that one word there's no way anyone would buy this shit.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.