It took less time than I thought

    Abandon all sanity ye who enter here

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

It took less time than I thought

Postby TheDukester » 16 Sep 2008 11:26

PoD has only been available for sale in this country for a few hours now (actually, most stores where I live won't even open for another hour or so), but that didn't stop our favorite tyrant from posting the first set of sales figures:

Image

Pathetic, Byron. It only proves there's a lot of 13-year-olds out there who like two-page "chapters." Using sales figures as "proof" is like saying that Dan Brown is the greatest author to ever write in English.

+++++

Interesting aside: right above that post was one that mildly chastised Byron for, essentially, telling other users how to think. It was accurate, pretty harmless, and did not violate any DN rules.

It was, of course, deleted.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

Ghost
Posts: 114
Joined: 04 Sep 2008 08:42
Location: Buenos Ares, Argentina

Postby Ghost » 16 Sep 2008 11:49

Well, what can you expect from someone that has BOARDADMIN as a nick in a forum that he administrates, and that 'job'' appears just below his nick.

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Postby TheDukester » 16 Sep 2008 11:51

LAWL!

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Yeah, "boardadmin" right above "Site Admin." Jesus wept.

We get it, Byron! Over-compensating much?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

User avatar
Ampoliros
Posts: 2518
Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

Postby Ampoliros » 16 Sep 2008 12:30

24th on the Scifi books, on Release day. did 23 other Major Sci-fi titles come out in the last 2 weeks that I don't know about?

EDIT: Just checked Amazon (to drop in my 1-star review) Its #1 on the scifi list at the moment. Calm down, Byron.

The Dukester wrote:Using sales figures as "proof" is like saying that Dan Brown is the greatest author to ever write in English.


QFT
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus

User avatar
Hunchback Jack
Posts: 1983
Joined: 30 May 2008 15:02
Location: California, USA

Postby Hunchback Jack » 16 Sep 2008 12:45

Great review, Ampoliros. Short, direct, to the point.

What ranking I see for PoD varies depending on which list I look at. Right now, ordering "Science Fiction" books by bestseller, it's #22.

Some of the better sellers include a couple of books that are probably required reading for school - Atlas Shrugged, Brave New World, for example. It's nice to see Neal Stephenson's Anathem near the top of the list. Seeing PoD top that would be depressing.

HBJ

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Postby TheDukester » 16 Sep 2008 12:54

Amazon's rankings are suspect, at best. There was a good article a couple of years ago (New York Times Magazine, I think ... or maybe it was Wired) about how there's much more randomness involved than people might think. Not to mention the fact that even Amazon itself couldn't explain how the rankings worked.

I've been taking them with a grain of salt for years. Actually, I never even look at them except in rare cases of mild curiosity.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

Purge
Posts: 82
Joined: 23 May 2008 15:34

Postby Purge » 16 Sep 2008 12:54

Everytime I used to sign in for some reason I would read boardadmin as boredadmin. Byron must be pretty bored to do so many of the petty things he has done.

User avatar
Tyrant
Posts: 381
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:45
Location: Kansas City, MO

Postby Tyrant » 16 Sep 2008 13:25

and of course it doesnt mention that not many books have actually sold....the number is how many copies the book stores order ...so all them sales...are still on the shelf waiting to sell...sadly ill buy it... i have to read it .... regardless of how bad it will be...i need to know whats being to done to our dune
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!

User avatar
Ampoliros
Posts: 2518
Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

Postby Ampoliros » 16 Sep 2008 13:53

Yeah I've said before, Bestseller lists mean Jack. You have to find the ones based of actual sales not Bookseller pre-orders. Barnes & Nobles list is based off sales (I assume Borders is as well). NYT list is based off pre-order.

l get all my Hardcover "Of Dune's" in the Bargain section shelf about a year after they come out for $5.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus

User avatar
Hunchback Jack
Posts: 1983
Joined: 30 May 2008 15:02
Location: California, USA

Postby Hunchback Jack » 16 Sep 2008 13:55

Tyrant, I understand your compulsion, but may I implore you to borrow it from a library? Assuming you don't need the satisfaction of destroying the book afterwards ...

HBJ,
not wanting to contribute *one cent* to the Heroes of Dune series.

User avatar
Ampoliros
Posts: 2518
Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

Postby Ampoliros » 16 Sep 2008 14:08

Working for a retail bookseller, in shipping, I got a peek when it first arrived and now that it's out i have it on book-loan. :twisted: So as long as I can resist the urge to destroy it, I can get it for $5 in a year when the company is just trying to clear unsellable inventory.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus

User avatar
sparafucile
Posts: 64
Joined: 29 May 2008 09:12

Postby sparafucile » 16 Sep 2008 14:46

A while ago, I mentioned that my local library only had one copy of PoD preordered, and it was an audio book at that. 1-2 months later, I just checked again, same thing, only an audiobook with only 9 requests, and my city is by no means tiny. This pleases me :twisted:.

I'm actually surprised not a single person has ordered it or that the library branch didn't go ahead and pick it up. This gives me hope. I had to convince my mother not to request that the library buy a copy... As fun as making fun of the HLP and nuDune is, enough is enough..

Sole Man

on this guy read POD

Postby Sole Man » 16 Sep 2008 14:58

Tyrant wrote:and of course it doesnt mention that not many books have actually sold....the number is how many copies the book stores order ...so all them sales...are still on the shelf waiting to sell...sadly ill buy it... i have to read it .... regardless of how bad it will be...i need to know whats being to done to our dune


I salute you!

User avatar
Ampoliros
Posts: 2518
Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

Postby Ampoliros » 16 Sep 2008 15:56

sparafucile wrote:A while ago, I mentioned that my local library only had one copy of PoD preordered, and it was an audio book at that. 1-2 months later, I just checked again, same thing, only an audiobook with only 9 requests, and my city is by no means tiny. This pleases me :twisted:.

I'm actually surprised not a single person has ordered it or that the library branch didn't go ahead and pick it up. This gives me hope. I had to convince my mother not to request that the library buy a copy... As fun as making fun of the HLP and nuDune is, enough is enough..


It's probably because the Library's job is to hold literary art in trust for the good of the community.

Three strikes against PoD.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus

User avatar
sparafucile
Posts: 64
Joined: 29 May 2008 09:12

Postby sparafucile » 16 Sep 2008 15:59

Ampoliros wrote:
sparafucile wrote:A while ago, I mentioned that my local library only had one copy of PoD preordered, and it was an audio book at that. 1-2 months later, I just checked again, same thing, only an audiobook with only 9 requests, and my city is by no means tiny. This pleases me :twisted:.

I'm actually surprised not a single person has ordered it or that the library branch didn't go ahead and pick it up. This gives me hope. I had to convince my mother not to request that the library buy a copy... As fun as making fun of the HLP and nuDune is, enough is enough..


It's probably because the Library's job is to hold literary art in trust for the good of the community.

Three strikes against PoD.


Unfortunately, they still have all the other prequels/sequels :/ Hopefully it means the libraries are coming to their senses :wink:

User avatar
Tleszer
Posts: 2161
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:02

Postby Tleszer » 16 Sep 2008 16:19

I'm going the library route, but it may take some time since I'm in the middle of A Clash of Kings... orald "suggested" that I finish reading A Song of Ice and Fire before reading Destination: Void, so I'm sure his anger would seethe through the Internets if I started PoD before finishing ASoIaF :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie

User avatar
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener
Posts: 3293
Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

Postby Nekhrun » 16 Sep 2008 16:49

I'm going out to get it after work today. I've got a BN membership and a 15% off coupon. Some of you though are aware of my philosophy that we should continue to support the HLP financially so that they will eventually stagnate in their own filth.

Look forward to this year's edition of Nekhrun's Notes and my new and improved Myspace review in a couple days! :wink:

User avatar
Rakis
Posts: 1583
Joined: 16 Feb 2008 00:00

Postby Rakis » 16 Sep 2008 22:36

IF i ever read it, i will download it as a e-book for FREE in about six months... :)
Image

User avatar
Lisan Al-Gaib
Posts: 418
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 15:34
Location: In the Heart of My Religion.

Postby Lisan Al-Gaib » 16 Sep 2008 23:57

Rakis wrote:IF i ever read it, i will download it as a e-book for FREE in about six months... :)


Me too :wink:

We don't have the BH&KJA books in Portuguese here, so we have to buy it from another country or read it by E-book.

Yes, I know, I'm lucky. When DUNE is discussed here the people only remember the FH's books!
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals


Nebiros
Posts: 315
Joined: 23 Apr 2008 01:55
Location: Cedon

Postby Nebiros » 17 Sep 2008 05:55

Whoever get's the book today or tomorrow, skim through the pages and tell me if the name Norma comes up. With that my decision to buy the book or not will be made.

If the Normacle is in it, I will not buy the book. But if not I can hope that it will be as good as the House trilogy which I do in fact like as well as the Road to Dune. Legends and Hunters not so much. Sandworms I hated!

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 17 Sep 2008 08:00

Nebby, I've been pretty much through all of it now and I haven't noticed the name Norma or anything resembling "The Oracle" anywhere in it.

But seriously, get it from a library.

Or wait until I get it scanned. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

Sole Man

on PoD

Postby Sole Man » 17 Sep 2008 15:22

I think we should sharpies and mark through the barcodes on the back of the books. Then they won't be able to sell...

AH AH A HA HA HAH AH AH HA HH HAHA HAHA HA HAH AHHA HAH HA HQAHHA HAHAAH AHHA :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

User avatar
Rakis
Posts: 1583
Joined: 16 Feb 2008 00:00

Postby Rakis » 17 Sep 2008 22:44

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
Rakis wrote:IF i ever read it, i will download it as a e-book for FREE in about six months... :)


Me too :wink:

We don't have the BH&KJA books in Portuguese here, so we have to buy it from another country or read it by E-book.

Yes, I know, I'm lucky. When DUNE is discussed here the people only remember the FH's books!


Bless your people...Image
Image