K&B PoD Q&A on YouTube

    Abandon all sanity ye who enter here

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

K&B PoD Q&A on YouTube

Postby SandChigger » 01 Oct 2008 23:29

Courtesy of everyone's favorite "I know them" suck-up, Web Dud:

http://www.suvudu.com/2008/10/video-bri ... -j-an.html

(Catch Brian saying that his father definitely would have written a Butlerian Jihad book...probably one novel, not three like he and Kevin have done. :roll: )


BE warned: SHITTY sound quality. (Shawn is just amazingly talented at everything he does, no?)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

User avatar
Rakis
Posts: 1583
Joined: 16 Feb 2008 00:00

Postby Rakis » 01 Oct 2008 23:32

Such a waste of bandwith use... :(
Image

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6677
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Postby Omphalos » 02 Oct 2008 00:56

That is the one I was there for. Duane, the guy who runs the place, was the one who adjusted the microphone.

I wonder who that OH in England was who said "there were no unanswered questions. Why did they write this?" I'd like to find him and invite him here. But I guess he did "forget about the billions of people who were killed in the name of the hero." :roll: I love it when these assholes try to sound like scholars.

Ugh. I wanted to listed to all six tonight, but I'm getting hives. Maybe later.

User avatar
Ampoliros
Posts: 2518
Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

Postby Ampoliros » 02 Oct 2008 03:12

At least there was one gem out of this, I didn't know Frank Herbert was a Republican Speech writer, although I did know his opinion of Nixon over Kennedy.

KJA wrote:If you think someone in that position is going to write everything exactly accurately warts and all you're not looking at history very much."


Hmm, no I think your the spin doctors, you just forgot that it takes more than a gentle cycle with a couple scoops of Tide to get out skidmarks of bullshit.

BH wrote:'There will be a few representative scenes of killing Duncans' 'Leto is Dark in God Emperor of Dune'

No Comment on your up coming Emo God Serial Killer of Dune.

"We have to make sure its not Paperclips of Dune, its going to be something that we really put everything into."

He wouldn't have written as many as Kevin and I..."
"...he wasn't as fast of a writter"
"no, we...we're pretty quick"


Kevin looks a little uncomfortable while Brian talks about the notes....

again, the scene with Leto/Jessica. can we get another example? 1500 pages and we get the same scene over and over.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 02 Oct 2008 04:00

What Kevin says in Part 6 seem to directly contradict what he wrote me in an email, that the Leto-Jessica scene (which contradicts Dune) was written for the Lynch movie.

So which time was the shithead lying, in the email or in this Q&A session?

:roll:

Well, at least Brian seems more animated in these. I guess those new meds are working out OK.

:lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

User avatar
Mr. Teg
Moderator
Posts: 699
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
Location: Chair
Contact:

Postby Mr. Teg » 02 Oct 2008 04:17

Um, anyone else like the bin laden example?
Oh, now the writing on one of the disks was someone else's handwriting :roll:
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3637
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03

Postby inhuien » 02 Oct 2008 04:40

That link was a 404, or whatever operas version is, for me. Here's the youtub link if anyone else has the trouble. the other parts are all in the Related Videos field.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BwmEi6FKq8k

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 02 Oct 2008 17:24

Mr. Teg wrote:Um, anyone else like the bin laden example?
Oh, now the writing on one of the disks was someone else's handwriting :roll:

Caught that, too, eh? ;)

Brian seems to be going with the "we didn't have a key" version for the time being.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 566
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Postby Simon » 02 Oct 2008 23:32

:lol: Ahhh, you guys are going to hate me. The little bit about Leto of Dune actually sounded interesting. I always figured his links to humanity would wain with the deaths of his friends and family (at least a part of the reason he kept Duncan around).

We'll see what we see of course, but I am looking forward to it.

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 02 Oct 2008 23:38

Simon wrote::lol: Ahhh, you guys are going to hate me. The little bit about Leto of Dune actually sounded interesting. I always figured his links to humanity would wain with the deaths of his friends and family (at least a part of the reason he kept Duncan around).

We'll see what we see of course, but I am looking forward to it.


I am more scared of this book than any yet written. I do understand what you like about old and new dune respectively, but how can you not be scared of this?

If they can't handle the complexities of lasgun mechanics how could they possibly write a character like LetoII? I mean, they portrayed every character that they didn't create in Hunters and Sandworms waaaaay off base from what FH had - how could they deal with LetoII? Even FH must have had trouble getting him just right, let alone these two amateurs.
Image

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 03 Oct 2008 00:08

Yawn. The only idiots I have time to hate now are Pinky and The Brian. You small fry can get irradiated or not depending on whether you're up one or the other's ass at the time.

(Am I the only one overcome with an urge while watching these things to grab Kevin by the scruff of the neck and repeatedly bash his face into the podium? Smarmy prick.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 566
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Postby Simon » 03 Oct 2008 00:33

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Simon wrote::lol: Ahhh, you guys are going to hate me. The little bit about Leto of Dune actually sounded interesting. I always figured his links to humanity would wain with the deaths of his friends and family (at least a part of the reason he kept Duncan around).

We'll see what we see of course, but I am looking forward to it.


I am more scared of this book than any yet written. I do understand what you like about old and new dune respectively, but how can you not be scared of this?


I'm not expecting GEoD. I know that's not going to happen, so there is nothing to dread. I expect it will be something in the vein of what we've seen thus far, hence: good for some, bad for others.

It comes back to what SimonH's comment in my PoD review thread made me think of as my "final argument" (In regards to a blow by blow logical defense of the books). Basically, I have none, yes there are some slight errors but my enjoyment doesn't come hand in hand with every bean being counted. Every fall I go up buy a Dune book and have always been entertained. That's good enough for me.

They won me over with LoD. Though it didn't escape my attention that this is also the series which totally jumped the shark for most of you...

I'm a visualist, so maybe that's why I dig BH and KJA's style. Their "cinematic" leanings mirror my own school of thought, I like drawing visually exciting things. You will never find a piece of art I've done which would consist of "man sitting by the window on a gray day, torn" (well, at least not many, I have some crap I saved from high school :roll: :P ). I appreciate fine art, but wouldn't claim it to be my main thing. It's an artistic strength and weakness. It makes me really good in my chosen field (comic book style art) but at the expense of versatility (meaning, I will never paint a "Mona Lisa"). :lol:

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 566
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Postby Simon » 03 Oct 2008 00:34

SandChigger wrote:Yawn. The only idiots I have time to hate now are Pinky and The Brian. You small fry can get irradiated or not depending on whether you're up one or the other's ass at the time.

(Am I the only one overcome with an urge while watching these things to grab Kevin by the scruff of the neck and repeatedly bash his face into the podium? Smarmy prick.)


Still going to be in Dayton tomorrow?

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 03 Oct 2008 02:01

Simon wrote:Still going to be in Dayton tomorrow?

Wild whoreses couldn't stop me....
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

User avatar
Laphtiya
Posts: 215
Joined: 29 Aug 2008 11:57
Location: In an outpost, on the edge of space!

Postby Laphtiya » 03 Oct 2008 03:16

Its too dark I can't see!! Seriously whats with all this darkness crap! Paul wasn't a Tyrant! Read Dune messiah, he has no choice he saw it himself there was no escaping the Jihad. It was more like the tragic hero in the greek stories.

Leto okay could be seen as being "dark" from a human point of view because he saw what had to be done and he had the means to do it. So yes that could be explained as dark but seriously! Jessica does something really dark! ooooooo!!!

I just loved the opening. Overthrown the evil Emperor and going to marry the princess. He makes it sound so lovely, yeah he is marrying the princess to make his hold on the thrown lagit not because he loves her or anything!

I'll read these books but only because of what I keep saying, that I don't really have an opinion on something unless I see/read/hear it for myself. But there was nothing to explain read messiah and Children of Dune and the gap between Dune and messiah is explained just fine thank you.

User avatar
SimonH
Posts: 179
Joined: 10 Feb 2008 18:28

Postby SimonH » 03 Oct 2008 06:10

Laphtiya wrote:Its too dark I can't see!! Seriously whats with all this darkness crap! Paul wasn't a Tyrant! Read Dune messiah, he has no choice he saw it himself there was no escaping the Jihad. It was more like the tragic hero in the greek stories.

Leto okay could be seen as being "dark" from a human point of view because he saw what had to be done and he had the means to do it. So yes that could be explained as dark but seriously! Jessica does something really dark! ooooooo!!!

I just loved the opening. Overthrown the evil Emperor and going to marry the princess. He makes it sound so lovely, yeah he is marrying the princess to make his hold on the thrown lagit not because he loves her or anything!

I'll read these books but only because of what I keep saying, that I don't really have an opinion on something unless I see/read/hear it for myself. But there was nothing to explain read messiah and Children of Dune and the gap between Dune and messiah is explained just fine thank you.


I agree, all 'round :)

User avatar
Mr. Teg
Moderator
Posts: 699
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
Location: Chair
Contact:

Postby Mr. Teg » 03 Oct 2008 06:49

SandChigger wrote:
Simon wrote:Still going to be in Dayton tomorrow?

Wild whoreses couldn't stop me....


Free range hyppos just might:wink:

Be safe!
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP

User avatar
Mr. Teg
Moderator
Posts: 699
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
Location: Chair
Contact:

Postby Mr. Teg » 03 Oct 2008 06:55

SimonH wrote:
Laphtiya wrote:Its too dark I can't see!! Seriously whats with all this darkness crap! Paul wasn't a Tyrant! Read Dune messiah, he has no choice he saw it himself there was no escaping the Jihad. It was more like the tragic hero in the greek stories.

Leto okay could be seen as being "dark" from a human point of view because he saw what had to be done and he had the means to do it. So yes that could be explained as dark but seriously! Jessica does something really dark! ooooooo!!!

I just loved the opening. Overthrown the evil Emperor and going to marry the princess. He makes it sound so lovely, yeah he is marrying the princess to make his hold on the thrown lagit not because he loves her or anything!

I'll read these books but only because of what I keep saying, that I don't really have an opinion on something unless I see/read/hear it for myself. But there was nothing to explain read messiah and Children of Dune and the gap between Dune and messiah is explained just fine thank you.


I agree, all 'round :)


Ditto. Paul the Tyrant :roll: Why Leto becomes a "monster" :roll:

My favorite...

Q:Where are the notes?
A:...hehe(giggling like a school girl)...there's a 3rd secret stash at Fullerton.

The SECRET stash at Fullerton! :roll: :wink:
I thought that just sumed it all up for me.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18345
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 03 Oct 2008 09:47

Umm... Paul WAS a tyrant, but his tyranny was overshaadowed by Leto II.

I believe he's refered to as such in DM.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Mr. Teg
Moderator
Posts: 699
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
Location: Chair
Contact:

Postby Mr. Teg » 03 Oct 2008 09:53

Freakzilla wrote:Umm... Paul WAS a tyrant, but his tyranny was overshaadowed by Leto II.

I believe he's refered to as such in DM.


No, Pinky & the Brain and doing something else with this.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP

User avatar
Ampoliros
Posts: 2518
Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

Postby Ampoliros » 03 Oct 2008 14:41

Don't forget Paul made drums from the skins of his enemies. IN DUNE. Heroes do that.

Paul was a Fremen leader. The Imperium would view him as a tyrant regardless of his policies. Paul knew the consequences of his actions, but was unwilling to take on the mantle of God-Emperor. It seems he even refused to look down that path until Leto took control of the vision.

Ultimately, Paul is a liberator but the motive that put him on that path was selfish. He knows that freeing the fremen will unleash the Jihad. I might be wrong about some of this, but it seems that Paul realized early on that by even suggesting that he might possibly be the Lisan-al-gaib would unleash the Jihad. He followed the path he did to protect his loved ones, namely Chani. Once she was gone he was free to go into the desert and die.

Enough with the corrupt Shaddam. He wasn't any more corrupt than any other Emperor would have been. It doesn't even matter if he was corrupt or not. In fact, it would have been more interesting if Shaddam was considered to be a good Emperor!
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 566
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Postby Simon » 03 Oct 2008 14:44

SandChigger wrote:
Simon wrote:Still going to be in Dayton tomorrow?

Wild whoreses couldn't stop me....


Yeah I figured once I saw you with Touchdown Jesus. :lol:

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 03 Oct 2008 20:58

SandChigger wrote:
Simon wrote:Still going to be in Dayton tomorrow?

Wild whoreses couldn't stop me....

IF I weren't already back in Japan a week now.

:lol:

Remember that THEIR Shaddam is corrupt. He's a confirmed patricide in THEIR Duniverse (instead of just a potential, rumored one in FH's). And the Imperium is EVIL...they've said it is.

Simple, black and white. That's what the idiots can understand.

(The social order of the Imperium WAS evil, in my opinion, because it was stagnant and limited the growth [both expansion and development] of the species.)

Finally, wasn't revenge also one of Paul's motivations?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

User avatar
trang
Posts: 1224
Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
Location: Hot Tub Time Machine
Contact:

Postby trang » 04 Oct 2008 09:02

A most telling interview to say the least. Most active have seen of Brian in any media at all. They said prety much the same malarky they always say, althought I found it interesting that they actually gave the location of the bank where the SDB's were, as well as, the names of the parties involved. Brian also says he reccomends that FH keep his stuff in SDB's but was unaware that FH actually did it and only became aware 11 years after his death from a call from estate attorneys?? seems fishy to me.


Estate Lawyers Walt tabler and Jane Cunningham.
Bank is Seattle First National, now bank of america, in Bellview, WA.

This might have been in Dreamer of Dune or another interview, but is news to me.

Brian also said Jane wrote down everything in the boxes on a yellow
notepad, be interesting to see it.

How can you have two floppy disks labled in different hand writnig and they be the same? maybe he just confused himself. After print out were
30-35 pages, more than I heard before, thought they said previously 6-7 pages and more of a simple outline?

Second set of notes in his attic with manuscripts, be nice to see those!!!
or own!!! but 1500 HUNDRED pages of notes... wow like to see those.

The notes currently reside in Brians Firesafe.

another set at Cal State Fullerton. Might be intersing to go see if this is true.


The part where KJA is talking like FH wasnt able to write detail, and they were was insulting. He had kind of a sneer and evil chuckle about it that wasnt cool.

They said that HUnters/Sandworms WAS the plot written by FH. This is false for sure. OLD ground I know, just have to state it.

The most telling other than the notes was the layout of the future for their Dune books.

I thought It was funny and showed what a dolt KJA is when he said "they were going to write their new epic, HELLHOLE, a trilogy, that has 3 books in it" like we dont know what a trilogy is, dumbass.


(rough estimate fromt interview, they mentioned great schools books by name, Sisterhood, SwordMasters and Mentats)

2009 Jessica of dune

2010 Hellhole part 1. New Berg Dune Movie?? if success will other's fill the hell hole gap years?

2011 Irulan of Dune

2012 Hellhole part 2 ( berg Dune messiah.Children combo movie? Sprinkle of POD in it?)

2013 Leto of Dune

2014 Hellhole part 3 (Could berg be stupid enough to try GOED??)

2015 Great Schools of DUNE Part 1

2016 ???? (berg Heretics of Dune)

2017 Great Schools of Dune Part 2


2018 ???? (Berg Chapterhouse?)

2019 Great Schools of Dune part 3

2020 .....(Berg Hunters/Sandworms of Dune??)

And beyond.... Just a point of contention... Brian Herbert was born in 1947, which makes him 61 in 2008. I hope he has a healthy life regimen
cause he's gonna need it if they keep this pace. KJA is only 46 so I would guess the sci-fi literary world is stuck with him for quite a while. If Brian doesnt make it does KJA go on alone??? who knows.

But from listening to them it looks like 2013 ( lucky number year!!) will be the Year they Tackle LETO, and we have a total of about 10 years of more literary pain from them.


Again telling and depressing all at the same time.

Just my thoughts.
Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Image

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 04 Oct 2008 17:01

I didn't catch anything about them saying FH couldn't write in detail. It was more that FH didn't write as quickly as they do.

Like finishing fast is a good thing. :roll:

(I'm sure that's how 'Becca feels, of course. "Oh, thank Gawd, I think he just came. Let's hope he heads for the trails now and gets out of my hair.")

Did you catch Brian saying that Kevin also has a copy of the notes?

That settles it: the Herberts are, individually and collectively, FUCKING STUPID.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"