Page 1 of 1

Howdy!

Posted: 06 May 2008 19:14
by trang
Name is Trang, been member of Dunenovels forum for over a year now. Dune fan since age 12, 40 now. Have read every book in the series.
Prefer FH original 6.
Have purchased everything that I can get my hands on that FH has written and read most of them.

Been trying to get registered here at jacurutu since I saw it started up but never could get past the security box thing, wouldnt take anything I entered, until today obviously.

at present I am into Military Sci-fi genre, have collected over 75 books and reading them at present.

I own from ButJihad thru Sandworms. Have Dune encyclopedia, and just about all of FH's books paper back version. I have collected some of Brian herberts as well.
Last FH I read were destination void, whipping star and dosadi experiment

glad to be aboard and join the flow of Dune conversation.

Be well, Fair Day,
Trang

Posted: 06 May 2008 20:07
by Mandy
Hi trang, nice to meet you.

Re: Howdy!

Posted: 06 May 2008 20:13
by Freakzilla
trang wrote:Name is Trang, been member of Dunenovels forum for over a year now. Dune fan since age 12, 40 now. Have read every book in the series.
Prefer FH original 6.
Have purchased everything that I can get my hands on that FH has written and read most of them.


Welcome!

trang wrote:Been trying to get registered here at jacurutu since I saw it started up but never could get past the security box thing, wouldnt take anything I entered, until today obviously.


Sorry about that! I didn't know there was a problem.

trang wrote:at present I am into Military Sci-fi genre, have collected over 75 books and reading them at present.

I own from ButJihad thru Sandworms. Have Dune encyclopedia, and just about all of FH's books paper back version. I have collected some of Brian herberts as well.
Last FH I read were destination void, whipping star and dosadi experiment

glad to be aboard and join the flow of Dune conversation.

Be well, Fair Day,
Trang



Butt Jihad :lol:

That sounds fun!

Posted: 06 May 2008 20:50
by Omphalos
The CATCHCA system we have installed is intentionally hard to read. The easier it is for the human eye, the easier it is for spambots OCR. We make it tough on purpose so the Freak and I do not have to research each and every person who tries to sign up. Sorry if it took you a long time to decipher, but thats the price we all have to pay for rock-solid security around here.

If any other potential users are wrestling with this, please contact either me or Freakzilla over at T(A)U or DN and tell us your desired username so that we can set you up with an account that you can then customize, change pass word, etc.

Posted: 06 May 2008 21:51
by GamePlayer
A big hello to the new person! :)

Posted: 07 May 2008 05:44
by orald
I'd welcome you, but I saw your post in Whipping Star where you hoped bH will take on that universe and write Jorj X. Mckie stories...so I'm not so sure anymore. :shock:

Well, welcome aboard, I'll pretend you were drunk at the time. :D

Posted: 07 May 2008 06:05
by inhuien
Hi Trang, welcome :)

edit to add
Missing R, sorry mate.

Posted: 07 May 2008 07:37
by SandChigger
Hello again. ;)

Posted: 07 May 2008 08:26
by trang
orald wrote:I'd welcome you, but I saw your post in Whipping Star where you hoped bH will take on that universe and write Jorj X. Mckie stories...so I'm not so sure anymore. :shock:

Well, welcome aboard, I'll pretend you were drunk at the time. :D


I assume your opinion of BH writing on his own isnt up to snuff? I have a few of his solo efforts I have yet to read, so I cant say how good he is.

The colaberation with KJA has produced readable additions but not canon by no strecth of the imagination. Like I had stated I prefer the Original series by FH and love eveyrthing else so far I have of his.

I have seen posts of most of the folks here, and understand fully that KJA gets no luv. His writings are overdefined and reptative.

Maybe if KJA is dropped, removed, excercised, or warded away, BH can start working solo and maybe channel FH.

I dont have some of the more intimate details or relationships with anyone involved with the HLP, so All I know is what I garner from posts on dunenovels and here.

So anyway, thanks for welcome and look forward to lively discussion about dune and other topics.

Trang

Posted: 07 May 2008 10:50
by orald
All I've heard from people here who read BH's solo works is they're just as bad.

I've had this question in mind and never got to find out the truth- A Man of Two Worlds was written by FH with BH, but the publishing date would suggest FH died or couldn't participate much before the book was finished due to his illness(though it could be it was out at the begining of the year, several months before his final departure).

I've read it a few years back, and it starts well, but towards the end it seems a little of a rush job, and something's lacking.
So, did FH die before it was completed and the ending is all BH writing(granted, with FH's directions still in mind, but that never stopped BH from ignoring his father's will)? Is that why it goes downhill so rapidly?
It's been too long to remember what exactly is bad about it, but I still have that lasting impression.

SC, I think it's you who constantly points at the female abuse in the prequels, so who was it you blamed for it, BH or KJA? I seem to have an impression of some female abuse(or just "bad shit happens") at the end of AMoTW.

Posted: 07 May 2008 11:26
by A Thing of Eternity
orald wrote:All I've heard from people here who read BH's solo works is they're just as bad.

I've had this question in mind and never got to find out the truth- A Man of Two Worlds was written by FH with BH, but the publishing date would suggest FH died or couldn't participate much before the book was finished due to his illness(though it could be it was out at the begining of the year, several months before his final departure).

I've read it a few years back, and it starts well, but towards the end it seems a little of a rush job, and something's lacking.
So, did FH die before it was completed and the ending is all BH writing(granted, with FH's directions still in mind, but that never stopped BH from ignoring his father's will)? Is that why it goes downhill so rapidly?
It's been too long to remember what exactly is bad about it, but I still have that lasting impression.

SC, I think it's you who constantly points at the female abuse in the prequels, so who was it you blamed for it, BH or KJA? I seem to have an impression of some female abuse(or just "bad shit happens") at the end of AMoTW.

That's actually the first FH book I ever read when I was a kid, then it sat in my collection for so long that I think I made it all the way to Heretics before I realized that I had allready read some of his stuff. I'd have to re-read it to comment (haven't read it since the first time) but I don't remember it being overly strong.

Trang - welcome

Posted: 07 May 2008 15:35
by orald
The premise and start of it are very promising, that at least I can tell for sure.

Posted: 07 May 2008 15:51
by Serkanner
Judging by the way he has written the biography I am almost coming to the conclusion that KJA is even a less worse writer then BH.

It is far too long ago that I haveread "Man of two worlds", so I can't judge it now. It is very hard to find over here as well. Should put some more effort finding it perhaps.

Hello Trang, welcome!

Posted: 07 May 2008 16:10
by Spicelon
Howdy howdy ho!!

Posted: 07 May 2008 16:48
by Omphalos
at present I am into Military Sci-fi genre, have collected over 75 books and reading them at present.


OK. I remember you now, I think. Were you the guy who did the Starfist review over at DN?

Welcome.

Posted: 07 May 2008 18:20
by SandChigger
orald wrote:SC, I think it's you who constantly points at the female abuse in the prequels, so who was it you blamed for it, BH or KJA? I seem to have an impression of some female abuse(or just "bad shit happens") at the end of AMoTW.

I've mentioned it a few times. I think it's from KJA because I prefer to believe he's a misogynist. :D

I mean, have you seen his wife?

(Oh...yesss! Collateral damage! Jan and Kim are off-limits for now but 'Becca has "stood by her man" and his stupid opinions so as far as I'm concerned she's fair...er, so to speak...game! :twisted: )

I haven't read AMoTW, but think I'll start looking for a copy. (Teg loaned me his copy of Sidney's Comet yesterday, so it'll be interesting to have a look at some pre-Andersonian Brian Herbert. ;) )

Posted: 08 May 2008 18:49
by trang
Omphalos wrote:
at present I am into Military Sci-fi genre, have collected over 75 books and reading them at present.


OK. I remember you now, I think. Were you the guy who did the Starfist review over at DN?

Welcome.


yes I did write the review. Its a fun and fast series, Im a former Marine so partial to it. I also am active on forums for series over at http://www.starfisthq.org the authors Dave Sherman and Dan Cragg
are active posters and its cool to have them to interact with.

I read and have read all facets of SCi-fi, including dune. Golden age authors, current authors, classic authors as a well military SCi-fi.

Im just in a grove with Military sci-fi, cant explain why, it just bit into me and the more I research the genre the more books and authors I find.

I dont throw this out for a boast, just an intro to my varied tastes and read/watch list.

I have been thru the following in the past year(this doesnt include the other non military sci fi I have read, FH books, Assimov, Niven etc):

1. Starfist (12 books main series, 2 books in sub series, 1 for each due out this year) Dave Sherman and Dan Craig

2. Demontech (3 book series, military fanatasy, but still good) Dave Sherman

3. Starwars Jedi Trial (attempt to militarize Anakin, fair book) Dave Sherman and Dan Craig

4. Heritage, Legacy, Inheritance trilogies ( 7 books) Ian douglas

5. Seafort Saga (7 books) Dave Feintuch

6. Armor John steakley

7. Starship Troopers (5th reread) Robert A. Heinlein

8. Forever War ( 4th reread ) Joe Haldeman

9. Forever Free, Joe Haldaman

10. Titan, Wizard, Demon, John Varley

My que (Military Sci-fi) to read is fairly large and working thru it, I break every so often to take in other authors for a break, but mainly plowing thru. Its been about a year and a half now since finished Dune end to end so probably will take a break inbetween to reread the core six. Here is what I have stacked up so far:

1. Dirigent Military Corps series (6 books), 13th Space Borne series(3 books), Spec-ops Squad Series (3 books), Second Commonwealth War series (3 books), Rick Shelley

2. Last Legion series, (4 books), Sten series (8 books) Chris bunch

3. Forever Peace, Joe haldeman

4. Honor Harrington Series (11 books), David Weber

5. Hammers Slammers (8 books), Fleet series (6 books), David Drake

6. There will be war (11 books), Falkenberg sereis (4 books) Jerry Pournelle

7. Legion of the Dammed, (8 Books), William C. Dietz

8. Heechee saga (5 books) Frederick Pohl

9. Childe Cylce (Dorsai)(11 books), Combat SF(Military Sci-Fi Short storry collection), Gorden R. Dickson

10. Stainless Steel Rat series (10 Books), Bill the Galactic hero Series (8 books) Harry Harrison

11. Old man's War/GHost Brigade/last Colony, John Scalzi

12. Orphan series (3 Books) Robert Buettner

13 Retief Series (18 books), Bolo series (4 Books), Imperium Series (4 Books), keith Laumer

14. Warstrider series (6 books) William Keith

15. Man/kzin wars (7 books) Larry Niven


Thats just the ones I have purhased from half price books stores/Amazon and are stacked up behind my chair in my office at home.

It doesnt even scratch the surface of the other sci fi I want to read just by author its pretty daunting task but will persist to read as much as I can.

Works by:
Asimov, Adams, Anderson,Bradbury, Baxter, Bear, Bova, Burroughs, Brackett, Card, Clarke, Cook, Cherryh, Dick, Ellison, Herbert, Heinlein, Macaffrey, Norton, Niven, Robinson, Silverberg, Vance, Verne, Vogt, Wells,Willams, Zelazney etc

Areas:
Star wars, Star trek, a few others.

The first Sci Fi story I ever read was when I was 7 years old, it was a short story by Ray Bradury called the "long Rain" I really liked it and since then been down the road of Sci-fi. I read fantasy too, but thats another story.

I have, watch and collect Sci-fi series and Movies on video, have most things:

Andromeda,B5,Firefly,Space Above and beyond, Star Trek Original,Space 1999, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Star Trek NG, Star Trek DS9,Star Trek Enterprise, Earth Final Conflict, Farscape, BSG original Series, BSG New Series, Star Trek Movies, Star Wars Movies, Logans run Series, Alien series, Matrix Series, Rosewell series. Dune 1984, Dune & COD series.

Movie list is too long but you get the idea.


I know Jacarutu is for DUNE, and I luv and am as passionate about it as anyone, FH just does that to ya. I just thought I would throw out some of my other interests. If you think my list is to big, well so do I, but im currently churning thru about 4 - 5 books a week so it goes pretty fast, and is a hell of a ride reading wise.

Be well, Fair Day,
Trang

Posted: 08 May 2008 19:10
by A Thing of Eternity
Thats funny, I just picked up a copy of Forever War yesterday and am a couple chapters in right now. I'd read it was a classic somewhere and it caught my eye at the used book store. Pretty good so far.

Posted: 08 May 2008 21:22
by GamePlayer
You're definitely safe enjoying a wide variety of art and entertainment here. There are plenty of topics about almost everything, plus we do love to go off on tangents in our threads :)

Posted: 09 May 2008 02:12
by chanilover
Hi.

Posted: 09 May 2008 02:24
by orald
GamePlayer wrote:You're definitely safe enjoying a wide variety of art and entertainment here. There are plenty of topics about almost everything, plus we do love to go off on tangents in our threads :)

Blasphemy! There shall be no god but God Leto! There shall be no reading but Dune! :x

Posted: 10 May 2008 14:39
by trang
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Thats funny, I just picked up a copy of Forever War yesterday and am a couple chapters in right now. I'd read it was a classic somewhere and it caught my eye at the used book store. Pretty good so far.


Forever War is great, if you do like it when its done. Joe Haldeman wrote two more in the series, sequels, of a sort. Forever peace, and then Forever free.

If you decide to get, Suggest you read Forever Free first, its more of a direct sequel, then Forever Peace. They are pretty decent.

Trang

Posted: 10 May 2008 15:10
by Omphalos
trang wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Thats funny, I just picked up a copy of Forever War yesterday and am a couple chapters in right now. I'd read it was a classic somewhere and it caught my eye at the used book store. Pretty good so far.


Forever War is great, if you do like it when its done. Joe Haldeman wrote two more in the series, sequels, of a sort. Forever peace, and then Forever free.

If you decide to get, Suggest you read Forever Free first, its more of a direct sequel, then Forever Peace. They are pretty decent.

Trang


I didnt like either one of them. Camouflage was not much better, but it was better than those two non-sequels.

Posted: 10 May 2008 21:01
by Robspierre
The Chylde Cycle is good reading, a bit more political compared to some of the other stuff on the list but more satisfying reads for me. That reminds me, I think I need a couple of books to finish my set.

Rob

Posted: 11 May 2008 22:44
by A Thing of Eternity
trang wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Thats funny, I just picked up a copy of Forever War yesterday and am a couple chapters in right now. I'd read it was a classic somewhere and it caught my eye at the used book store. Pretty good so far.


Forever War is great, if you do like it when its done. Joe Haldeman wrote two more in the series, sequels, of a sort. Forever peace, and then Forever free.

If you decide to get, Suggest you read Forever Free first, its more of a direct sequel, then Forever Peace. They are pretty decent.

Trang

Thanks, I will.