at present I am into Military Sci-fi genre, have collected over 75 books and reading them at present.
OK. I remember you now, I think. Were you the guy who did the Starfist
review over at DN?
yes I did write the review. Its a fun and fast series, Im a former Marine so partial to it. I also am active on forums for series over at http://www.starfisthq.org
the authors Dave Sherman and Dan Cragg
are active posters and its cool to have them to interact with.
I read and have read all facets of SCi-fi, including dune. Golden age authors, current authors, classic authors as a well military SCi-fi.
Im just in a grove with Military sci-fi, cant explain why, it just bit into me and the more I research the genre the more books and authors I find.
I dont throw this out for a boast, just an intro to my varied tastes and read/watch list.
I have been thru the following in the past year(this doesnt include the other non military sci fi I have read, FH books, Assimov, Niven etc):
1. Starfist (12 books main series, 2 books in sub series, 1 for each due out this year) Dave Sherman and Dan Craig
2. Demontech (3 book series, military fanatasy, but still good) Dave Sherman
3. Starwars Jedi Trial (attempt to militarize Anakin, fair book) Dave Sherman and Dan Craig
4. Heritage, Legacy, Inheritance trilogies ( 7 books) Ian douglas
5. Seafort Saga (7 books) Dave Feintuch
6. Armor John steakley
7. Starship Troopers (5th reread) Robert A. Heinlein
8. Forever War ( 4th reread ) Joe Haldeman
9. Forever Free, Joe Haldaman
10. Titan, Wizard, Demon, John Varley
My que (Military Sci-fi) to read is fairly large and working thru it, I break every so often to take in other authors for a break, but mainly plowing thru. Its been about a year and a half now since finished Dune end to end so probably will take a break inbetween to reread the core six. Here is what I have stacked up so far:
1. Dirigent Military Corps series (6 books), 13th Space Borne series(3 books), Spec-ops Squad Series (3 books), Second Commonwealth War series (3 books), Rick Shelley
2. Last Legion series, (4 books), Sten series (8 books) Chris bunch
3. Forever Peace, Joe haldeman
4. Honor Harrington Series (11 books), David Weber
5. Hammers Slammers (8 books), Fleet series (6 books), David Drake
6. There will be war (11 books), Falkenberg sereis (4 books) Jerry Pournelle
7. Legion of the Dammed, (8 Books), William C. Dietz
8. Heechee saga (5 books) Frederick Pohl
9. Childe Cylce (Dorsai)(11 books), Combat SF(Military Sci-Fi Short storry collection), Gorden R. Dickson
10. Stainless Steel Rat series (10 Books), Bill the Galactic hero Series (8 books) Harry Harrison
11. Old man's War/GHost Brigade/last Colony, John Scalzi
12. Orphan series (3 Books) Robert Buettner
13 Retief Series (18 books), Bolo series (4 Books), Imperium Series (4 Books), keith Laumer
14. Warstrider series (6 books) William Keith
15. Man/kzin wars (7 books) Larry Niven
Thats just the ones I have purhased from half price books stores/Amazon and are stacked up behind my chair in my office at home.
It doesnt even scratch the surface of the other sci fi I want to read just by author its pretty daunting task but will persist to read as much as I can.
Asimov, Adams, Anderson,Bradbury, Baxter, Bear, Bova, Burroughs, Brackett, Card, Clarke, Cook, Cherryh, Dick, Ellison, Herbert, Heinlein, Macaffrey, Norton, Niven, Robinson, Silverberg, Vance, Verne, Vogt, Wells,Willams, Zelazney etc
Star wars, Star trek, a few others.
The first Sci Fi story I ever read was when I was 7 years old, it was a short story by Ray Bradury called the "long Rain" I really liked it and since then been down the road of Sci-fi. I read fantasy too, but thats another story.
I have, watch and collect Sci-fi series and Movies on video, have most things:
Andromeda,B5,Firefly,Space Above and beyond, Star Trek Original,Space 1999, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Star Trek NG, Star Trek DS9,Star Trek Enterprise, Earth Final Conflict, Farscape, BSG original Series, BSG New Series, Star Trek Movies, Star Wars Movies, Logans run Series, Alien series, Matrix Series, Rosewell series. Dune 1984, Dune & COD series.
Movie list is too long but you get the idea.
I know Jacarutu is for DUNE, and I luv and am as passionate about it as anyone, FH just does that to ya. I just thought I would throw out some of my other interests. If you think my list is to big, well so do I, but im currently churning thru about 4 - 5 books a week so it goes pretty fast, and is a hell of a ride reading wise.
Be well, Fair Day,