Technical problems.

Image
    Bitches, gripes, complaints... post them here

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby SandChigger » 20 May 2010 03:25

If you can shoot ping pong balls out yer butt that usually gets his attention. :P

...

Actually, that usually gets most people's attention, come to think of it... :?

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18121
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby Freakzilla » 20 May 2010 03:48

I only got one PM about this, sorry. :oops:
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Technical problems.

Postby inhuien » 20 May 2010 04:19

SandChigger wrote:If you can shoot ping pong balls out yer butt that usually gets his attention. :P

...

Actually, that usually gets most people's attention, come to think of it... :?
I'm thinking about it now, thanks to you. The pictures are not pretty. :puke:
Image

User avatar
Sev
Posts: 313
Joined: 05 Mar 2009 11:51
Location: Peterborough, UK

Re: Technical problems.

Postby Sev » 20 May 2010 06:27

merkin muffley wrote:I registered with T(A)U a couple days ago, but haven't been activated. So, I'm just trying to inquire with the administrator.


Who is an admin at T(A)U? - I registered a week ago and haven't been activated.
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby SandChigger » 22 Jun 2010 06:39

Did the server go wonky for a while about two and half hours ago? I edited my OP in the "Fremen for Dunies" thread and then tried posting a new comment in the same thread and the board stopped responding. Couldn't raise T(A)U, either.

I pissed off for about two hours and when I came back, everything was apparently back to normal. Anyone else notice anything? (Or am I just losing it? :? )

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Technical problems.

Postby inhuien » 22 Jun 2010 06:51

All good from my end.
Image

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby SandChigger » 05 Nov 2010 04:49

Hey, Omph! Can you or Ragabash tell what's up with this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2560&start=0

It's not showing the correct number of replies/posts, in the topics list or on the thread pages.

When I was trying to post my second comment, the browser never completed the usual submit-message page-redisply cycle; it just stayed stuck on the edit/submit page with the activity indicator spinning. I stopped it and tried reposting several times, with the same results. The board was unresponsive for about 20-30 minutes or so, maybe. Later, when i was able to post again, I discovered it had posted three times. I deleted two copies and got a database/SQL error message on the second, but it apparently deleted OK. Now the count is off though.

Just thought I'd better let you guys know! :(

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6614
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby Omphalos » 05 Nov 2010 14:06

That's wierd. It shows 8 replies but there are actually 9 replies in there. Sounds like some db snafu, not the board, although I saw that we were (again) carpet bombed with page requests last night. It probably happened then. We'll look into it - but Raggy is at a gamecon in Las Vegas right now, so it wont be right away.

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby SandChigger » 05 Nov 2010 18:21

When I got the DB error I hit the URL again, so if the number of posts in a thread is stored as a number in a table (instead of being calculated by counting them), it might have been decreased even though the actual comment was already deleted.

I don't know. Not that familiar with how the boardware (especially the new version) uses the DB. :(

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby SandChigger » 10 Nov 2010 01:37

Let's see, it's Wed 00:58 EST right now.

The board has pretty much been unresponsive for the last three hours or so. (I logged in over on Facebook and Irulan commented about it as well.)

Was it something with the server, or another DOS-type attack from somewhere? :evil:

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby SandChigger » 17 Dec 2010 00:26

A little after 8:00 this morning when I posted this, I noticed something I wanted to change and tried editing. After I hit submit, I got the "spinning load-indicator of death" and the page never resolved. But the change appears to have gone through. I couldn't get any other response from the board after that; couldn't even log out.

Heavy load, or something else? :?

(Not bitching, just wanted to let you know in case there's a problem! :) )

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6614
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby Omphalos » 17 Dec 2010 00:29

Heavy load. Actually. We set it again for more users. Worm's was down at the same time. I thought it was my connection for a while.

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby SandChigger » 17 Dec 2010 01:17

Omphalos wrote:Heavy load. Actually. We set it again for more users. Worm's was down at the same time. I thought it was my connection for a while.

OK, thanks! I wondered if it was my connection, too. (At home; gets a little slow sometimes.)

Edit: Tell me about heavy load: HToD had 5.6 times its average number of hits the other day due to that Reddit link. :lol:

User avatar
Shaitan
Posts: 292
Joined: 27 Aug 2010 22:52
Location: Freeport, Maine USA
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby Shaitan » 18 Dec 2010 03:51

I wonder if it might be more than just getting hit by heavy user traffic bursts....maybe you guys might consider various tools available for throttling the rate at which search engine spiders can "slurp" the site's content?
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ

User avatar
Shaitan
Posts: 292
Joined: 27 Aug 2010 22:52
Location: Freeport, Maine USA
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby Shaitan » 18 Dec 2010 04:01

SandChigger wrote:Let's see, it's Wed 00:58 EST right now.

The board has pretty much been unresponsive for the last three hours or so. (I logged in over on Facebook and Irulan commented about it as well.)

Was it something with the server, or another DOS-type attack from somewhere? :evil:


I forget if we do FB or just the Twittelator, but I was posting about it too around the same time. I just hate to see the rare gem of a great site go down :romance-grouphug: :romance-inlove:
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby SandChigger » 18 Dec 2010 04:48

Yeah... leaves me feeling kinda lost whenever I can't log in, too. ;)

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6614
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby Omphalos » 18 Dec 2010 15:38

Shaitan wrote:I wonder if it might be more than just getting hit by heavy user traffic bursts....maybe you guys might consider various tools available for throttling the rate at which search engine spiders can "slurp" the site's content?


We can do that with this software if needed. I'd rather not though. We have a ton of other blogs and boards on this server, so just be patient when it happens, and we'll get it fixed. We come to this board all the time, and use it as a weather vane for the rest of the server.

User avatar
Shaitan
Posts: 292
Joined: 27 Aug 2010 22:52
Location: Freeport, Maine USA
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby Shaitan » 20 Dec 2010 01:24

Omphalos wrote:
Shaitan wrote:I wonder if it might be more than just getting hit by heavy user traffic bursts....maybe you guys might consider various tools available for throttling the rate at which search engine spiders can "slurp" the site's content?


We can do that with this software if needed. I'd rather not though. We have a ton of other blogs and boards on this server, so just be patient when it happens, and we'll get it fixed. We come to this board all the time, and use it as a weather vane for the rest of the server.


I see. Makes sense.
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6614
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby Omphalos » 09 Jan 2011 01:18

Hi all. We figured out why the boards have been slowing down so much during the daytime. There was some buggy code in the search page at Omphalos Book Reviews that was doing it. We found it and took it out, so surfing should speed up, or at least shoud not get so slow again.

User avatar
lotek
Posts: 5734
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

Re: Technical problems.

Postby lotek » 09 Jan 2011 06:53

Omphalos wrote:Hi all. We figured out why the boards have been slowing down so much during the daytime. There was some buggy code in the search page at Omphalos Book Reviews that was doing it. We found it and took it out, so surfing should speed up, or at least shoud not get so slow again.


good job !!
Image
Spice is the worm's gonads.

User avatar
Talos Aquinas
Posts: 71
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 14:43
Location: Lurking in Alia's Other Memory...

Re: Technical problems.

Postby Talos Aquinas » 01 Mar 2011 19:35

I'm not getting the Poll creation tab in either of the subforums I moderate. (It does show up if I try to start a thread in the Test Forum, though.)

Also, I'm not getting the options to mark new threads as announcements, stickied, etc.

(Oh, and could you also remove all moderator privileges from the SandChigger account? I'm not sure what (sub)forum they're good on, but I see the Moderator link when I log in.)

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6614
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby Omphalos » 01 Mar 2011 20:24

Talos Aquinas wrote:I'm not getting the Poll creation tab in either of the subforums I moderate. (It does show up if I try to start a thread in the Test Forum, though.)

Also, I'm not getting the options to mark new threads as announcements, stickied, etc.

(Oh, and could you also remove all moderator privileges from the SandChigger account? I'm not sure what (sub)forum they're good on, but I see the Moderator link when I log in.)


Probably a permissions issue. Ill look at it when I get home tonight.

User avatar
Eyes High
Patience Personified
Posts: 2320
Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

Re: Technical problems.

Postby Eyes High » 08 Mar 2011 06:20

I have a question maybe one of y'all can answer. It's 05:31 where I am but the board says it's 06:16. Why the 45 minutes difference? I thought time zones were marked off in hour increments?
:think:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Technical problems.

Postby inhuien » 08 Mar 2011 06:59

I have noticed that myself, but don't have an answer other than the time on the server is wrong...
Image

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6614
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Technical problems.

Postby Omphalos » 08 Mar 2011 14:56

Eyes High wrote:I have a question maybe one of y'all can answer. It's 05:31 where I am but the board says it's 06:16. Why the 45 minutes difference? I thought time zones were marked off in hour increments?
:think:


The server clock keeps getting fucked up. The board has to reconcile your local clock, the local time the board is set to (Atlanta, IIRC), the clock on the box the board is hosted on (Seattle), and the clock at the server farm where the boxes are hosted. It just gets confused, and there isn't too much we can do, since we only control two of those four clocks.


Return to “˱”