Page 1 of 1

Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 28 May 2010 19:56
by Redstar


Some footage Sean Young shot using an 8mm camera on the set of Dune. Some pretty nice stuff here, including the creation of the stillsuits, Kenneth McMillan without the fat suit, and Francesca Annis flashing her panties at one point.

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 07:42
by Serkanner
Nice find!

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 08:39
by Freakzilla
I noticed Sean Young was reading GEoD... she just got even hotter.

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 09:01
by merkin muffley
Really interesting, thanks for posting that. So many great people working on that movie, and they ended up with complete shite.

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 09:12
by Freakzilla
Well, if "weird" was what Lynch was shooting for it was a huge success.

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 10:41
by SandRider
yeah, I wouldn't call it complete "shite" ... depends on your POV and expectations ...
again, I feel compelled to point to Frank, in his own words, Intro(Eye) &etc ...

but hey, I ain't got patience to let a youtube load over dial-up,
so would one of you whiz-kids get some screen shots and post ?

you know what I want .... (panty? really?)



>> also:

after the embed of the video player here,
I set firefox to block the automatic download, or link-up,
or whatever to the video, because if I didn't, the page
would never load .... so I'm not changing the settings
if there is an interesting video ... if y'all would post a
link to the vid along with your post, I'd appreciate it ...
something like this, I might set up to load and go our
and do something else for awhile, like I have to do
with all the WindozeUpdates .... thankee!

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 10:52
by Freakzilla
It's interesting but I don't think it's worth all that trouble.

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 11:15
by TheDukester
merkin muffley wrote:So many great people working on that movie, and they ended up with complete shite.

:text-yeahthat:

So much potential ... such a dismal failure. Some individual scenes are interesting, but they are buried in the 25-foot-high pile of crap that is Lynch's "vision." Most over-rated director ever.

OTOH, Sean Young is completely nutty, but in a good way. She's cute, she's smart, she can act ... and she's nuts. She reminds me of two ex-girlfriends, now that I think about it ... :think:

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 11:23
by Freakzilla
The crazy ones are usually the best lovers.

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 12:32
by Ampoliros
I still defend the film, I don't think its fair to call it complete shit. At least for me the look was near-perfect and I felt like even the things they changed they did so in a way that felt Dune-ish. I still prefer the Lynch film over the Sci-fi version. I think if you gave one director the chance to remake one of their own films and have it be an actual improvement it would be Lynch's Dune.

Edit: Aside from Ghanima, all the hottest Dune ladies were in the Lynch film.

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 12:44
by Omphalos
Ampoliros wrote:I still defend the film, I don't think its fair to call it complete shit. At least for me the look was near-perfect and I felt like even the things they changed they did so in a way that felt Dune-ish. I still prefer the Lynch film over the Sci-fi version. I think if you gave one director the chance to remake one of their own films and have it be an actual improvement it would be Lynch's Dune.

Edit: Aside from Ghanima, all the hottest Dune ladies were in the Lynch film.


Sorry, Amp my friend, but you are wrong on every issue you touched. The reason the Lynch film would improve upon remake is because it has the farthest to go to get better.

As for hot Dune chicks: Daniella Amivala? Exquese me? Hotness personified!

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 13:19
by D Pope
For the most part, I liked the film. There are some glaring problems with it, however. While I don't agree with 'complete shit,' I don't have a problem with others not liking it. Has anyone ever heard FH express an opinion on wierding modules?

Odd thing about it, I looked for the uncut version for years. When i finally saw it i was really taken aback. Everyone was screaming! The whole thing overemphasized. Totally a carefull what you wish for, six hour, moment. Kudoes to the editor.
Aspects of the sci.fi. channell version were good, too few to justify the problems.

The phrase,"The book's better," is a cliche for a reason. Is it truly possible for a movie to do justice to the book? The closest i've ever seen was the Macom X autobiography, seemed true to the text... Trying to do justice to Dune, wow! There's a whole lot there to try to put on film. The book is great because of what it makes you think about- too tall a task, I think, for film.

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 14:06
by merkin muffley
Actually, I don't think the movie is "complete shite" either. To me it's an enormous disappointment, because I really like The Elephant Man and Twin Peaks, and I expected a lot out of this subject matter and these filmmakers. I do have to admit that I have seen this movie about fifty times so I must like something about it, even though I was usually watching it to get stoned and laugh at Jurgen Prochnow's accent. I never sit through that worm battle.

But I kinda like it. It is a terrible movie, though. It's incredibly frustrating when you're trying to convince someone how good Dune is, and they've only seen the movie. Usually, they tried to watch the movie, but they had no idea what the fuck was going on, so they turned it off or fell asleep after twenty minutes of a giant vagina in a fishtank and a fat guy lancing his boils.

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 15:12
by Ampoliros
How about this: If it wasn't for Lynch's Dune I wouldn't hate KJA so much. There is one reason the movie isn't complete shit.

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 15:18
by Redstar
Freakzilla wrote:It's interesting but I don't think it's worth all that trouble.

Apparently she has about another hour of footage which she's considering putting up, so maybe there's something else interesting in there. It's just a cool glimpse into the behind-the-scenes, if you're into that kinda of thing and none of the releases provide.

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 29 May 2010 23:01
by SandRider
screen shot / panties / provide

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 01 Jun 2010 00:27
by Thodol
I believe I was 7-8 when I saw this movie. Had not yet read the books or have any concept of what was really going on. But I can remember being absolutely amazed at what I was watching. I did not grasp a single aspect of the movie, but I knew it was deep and really weird. The music,sets and costumes all were enthralling. It was like watching a circus. I also vividly recall Sean Young being one of the first if not THE first female I found attractive. In some alien way that would take me years to figure out. :oops: Cheesy worm battles with the music that breaks still strikes the "TO BATTLE!" chord in me.

Reading the books years and lifetimes of brain development later, if anything, enhanced my enjoyment of the novel.

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 01 Jun 2010 09:47
by A Little Galach
SandRider wrote:screen shot / panties / provide


Just watch Ace Ventura. Einhorn's a man!

However if Sean Young was tucking, I'd probably still do her.

Re: Sean Young filmed the making of Dune with David Lynch 1983

Posted: 06 Jun 2010 22:41
by RedHeadKevin
heh heh... there's more Jamis in that video than made it to the screen.