Page 2 of 2

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 13:45
by A Thing of Eternity
If we wanted it to sound like that Islamic quote it should read more like:

There are only six Dune books and Frank Herbert is their author. (itallics just to show my changes)

(I believe that the Islamic quote has "only" and "and" in it, though that might just be different translations, I'm sure Chig will correct me if wrong on that.)

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 13:53
by D Pope
Works for me, I tried two sentances for space.

Let me re-emphasize, a smarter fellow than I came up with it. I can't find it but if it'll jog anyones memory, it was a question on a faux entrance exam.

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 13:54
by Freakzilla
I testify that none is god except God alone, He has no equal; and I testify that Muhammad is His servant and His Messenger.

(If you say it out loud three times you become Muslim)

:P

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 14:09
by D Pope
Yeah, it probably won't work on a shirt. Well Done to whomever did it!

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 14:57
by SandChigger
A Thing of Eternity wrote:(I believe that the Islamic quote has "only" and "and" in it, though that might just be different translations, I'm sure Chig will correct me if wrong on that.)

The original Arabic says "There are no gods but God, and Mohammed is His messenger." So for our purposes shouldn't it be something more like

There is no Dune but Dune, and Frank Herbert is its author.

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 15:10
by DuneFishUK
Nice! :)

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 15:13
by A Thing of Eternity
SandChigger wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:(I believe that the Islamic quote has "only" and "and" in it, though that might just be different translations, I'm sure Chig will correct me if wrong on that.)

The original Arabic says "There are no gods but God, and Mohammed is His messenger." So for our purposes shouldn't it be something more like

There is no Dune but Dune, and Frank Herbert is its author.


Shoot, that is actually how I heard it now that I have my memory jogged - except the one I heard was singular "god" at the beginning, but this way makes more sense given the history.

Messenger is the same as prophet though isn't it? I thought a prophet was just someone who speaks for someone else.

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 15:25
by Freakzilla
A prophet predicts the future.

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 15:30
by lotek
"A Prophet" is an awesome movie :)


Really!

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 15:32
by SandChigger
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Messenger is the same as prophet though isn't it?

A messenger is a rasûl and a prophet is a nabî. Evidently there's a difference, but it's beyond my caring. See this on Wikipedia for an explanation. The Shahada uses rasul. :)

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 15:41
by A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla wrote:A prophet predicts the future.


I could be wrong, but I believe the original biblical meaning (Judaic) was just someone speaking for god, not predicting the future.

SandChigger wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Messenger is the same as prophet though isn't it?

A messenger is a rasûl and a prophet is a nabî. Evidently there's a difference, but it's beyond my caring. See this on Wikipedia for an explanation. The Shahada uses rasul. :)


Ah. I was thinking in terms of what I learned back when I was learning about Judaism.

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 15:48
by Freakzilla
http://www.biblebell.org/proph/prophecy1.html

A prophet speaks forth God's messages in TWO MAIN CATEGORIES, as illustrated from the book of the prophet Isaiah in the verses alongside...

Category #1: Preaching -- a preaching prophet encourages, comforts, or reproves the people. (NOTE - from this standpoint, a pastor who preaches, in full and accurate accord with God's Bible, is functioning as a prophet.)

Examples of a prophet who preaches

Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean; put away the evil of your doings from before My eyes. Cease to do evil Isa 1.16

If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land Isa 1.19

Category #2: Foretelling -- a foretelling prophet gives the people the word of God concerning the future

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 15:49
by Freakzilla
http://islam.about.com/od/prophets/p/prophets.htm

Why has God sent prophets?:
Islam teaches that God has sent prophets to humanity, in different times and places, to communicate His message. Since the beginning of time, God has sent His guidance through these chosen people. They were human beings who taught the people around them about faith in One Almighty God, and how to walk on the path of righteousness. Some prophets also revealed God's Word through books of revelation.

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 15:52
by A Thing of Eternity
That all makes sense, and I know that eventually prophet came to mean teller of the future, but I was told that the original meaning just meant to speak for.

Of course, the old meaning hardly matters now that I think of it, and the person who taught me that was a great religious teacher, but no linguist, and was probably just repeating something he heard.

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 16:03
by Freakzilla
I was thinking back to my brainwashed... I mean Xtian days. Whenever someone prophesied it was a message about the future... which is really what religion is, right?

If you do this now, you'll get a spanking!

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 16:46
by A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla wrote:I was thinking back to my brainwashed... I mean Xtian days. Whenever someone prophesied it was a message about the future... which is really what religion is, right?

If you do this now, you'll get a spanking!


In Xianity I've always heard it referring to the future too.

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 20:32
by SandChigger
A Thing of Eternity wrote:That all makes sense, and I know that eventually prophet came to mean teller of the future, but I was told that the original meaning just meant to speak for.

Yep.

prophet ...

ORIGIN: Middle English : from Old French prophete, via Latin from Greek prophētēsspokesman,’ from pro ‘before’ + phētēs ‘speaker’ (from phēnai ‘speak’ ).

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 23:06
by D Pope
......:FH small:
There IS only one.

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 12 Jun 2010 00:16
by A Thing of Eternity
Nice, I was right - but my source was still junk, he said the word was Hebrew, if it's just from some other language I don't see how it was even relevant to the class I was in.

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 12 Jun 2010 05:27
by SandChigger
The Hebrew word is also something like nabi or navi; I remember because some dumbfook asked somewhere if there was any connection with the name of the blue kitty aliens, the Na'vi. :roll:

I'll check later to see how the words differ meaning-wise in Hebrew and Arabic, unless someone beats me to it. ;)

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 12 Jun 2010 05:31
by lotek
probably not :)

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 12 Jun 2010 09:22
by SadisticCynic
SandChigger wrote:The Hebrew word is also something like nabi or navi; I remember because some dumbfook asked somewhere if there was any connection with the name of the blue kitty aliens, the Na'vi. :roll:

I'll check later to see how the words differ meaning-wise in Hebrew and Arabic, unless someone beats me to it. ;)


I just have to ask, do you mean me here? Or did someone actually try to make the connection: blue aliens = prophets?

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 12 Jun 2010 19:28
by SandChigger
Jeez, NO, I didn't mean you! :lol: For starters, I don't think of you as a "dumbfook"! ;)

No, it was in the comments on one of the linguistics blogs, Languagehat maybe? It was soon after the movie came out and the linguistic & conlang circles were creaming themselves over the Na'vi language, and impressionable young thangs and various greenie dimwits were being blown away by the environmental message, blah blah blah.

Yeah, there was definitely a "The Na'vi will show us the Way to save our Earth!" vibe. :roll:

Re: OH Merch

Posted: 12 Jun 2010 19:56
by SadisticCynic
Oh, OK. The original reason I asked was because of the name of a fairy in the game The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. :)