Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Image
    The films, miniseries, music, video games, etc...

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 31 Jul 2010 03:38

Shadout Mapes. Everyone else is too pervasive throughout the book, she has an important enough roll to be compared to Tom, but apears only for a short period, could easily be cut.
Image

User avatar
merkin muffley
Posts: 1584
Joined: 23 Apr 2010 15:18
Location: War Room

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby merkin muffley » 31 Jul 2010 09:18

Shadout Mapes is essential to Paul's story, Yueh's betrayal, and developing what the audience knows about the Fremen. You could cut back on her character as it relates to Jessica, but other than that her character doesn't have a subplot that veers away from the main story. I think you need the scene with the hunter-seeker, she has to be in the scene where the Duke gets killed (unless you change that scene completely), and she's one of the ways we meet the native population of Dune.

Thufir's character is most involved in the subplot about Jessica being framed, which I think you'd have to lose. You'd definitely have to lose the subplot about Thufir trying to create chaos for the Harkonnens, and he's mainly behind the scenes for that subplot anyway.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."

User avatar
Superdog
Posts: 150
Joined: 10 Apr 2010 23:09

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby Superdog » 31 Jul 2010 13:48

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Shadout Mapes. Everyone else is too pervasive throughout the book, she has an important enough roll to be compared to Tom, but apears only for a short period, could easily be cut.


I concur. And curiously, the crysknife she gives Jessica never shows up again.

I was actually working on a Dune screenplay out of boredom (this is the only website I would admit that on) and I cut out Mapes w/out hesitation.

User avatar
merkin muffley
Posts: 1584
Joined: 23 Apr 2010 15:18
Location: War Room

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby merkin muffley » 01 Aug 2010 04:14

I feel like the movie would be pretty much the same length, though, if you cut out the Shadout Mapes. I think you're right that the scene where she gives Jessica the crysknife could be cut. Other than that I think you have the same scenes told without that character. I'm not sure what you gain in streamlining the story for adaptation by cutting out that character.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby TheDukester » 01 Aug 2010 12:47

I'll go with "Let's not cut anything out and realize that Dune cannot possibly be told in two or three hours."

This, more than even Spanky and Bobo's involvement, is why the new Dune movie will suck. It has to suck; it will be too short by at least six hours.

Anyone who wants to present the story of Dune visually needs to call HBO or Showtime.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

User avatar
Superdog
Posts: 150
Joined: 10 Apr 2010 23:09

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby Superdog » 01 Aug 2010 13:49

merkin muffley wrote:I feel like the movie would be pretty much the same length, though, if you cut out the Shadout Mapes. I think you're right that the scene where she gives Jessica the crysknife could be cut. Other than that I think you have the same scenes told without that character. I'm not sure what you gain in streamlining the story for adaptation by cutting out that character.


I kept the scenes for the most part, but in a film there's no point in introducing a character if they play such a minor role. There's also no point in expecting the audience to remember them and it just confuses things. If they only appear in one act then take 'em out. Thus, Shadout Mapes becomes "Elderly Fremen Housekeeper".

User avatar
Superdog
Posts: 150
Joined: 10 Apr 2010 23:09

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby Superdog » 01 Aug 2010 13:51

TheDukester wrote:I'll go with "Let's not cut anything out and realize that Dune cannot possibly be told in two or three hours."

This, more than even Spanky and Bobo's involvement, is why the new Dune movie will suck. It has to suck; it will be too short by at least six hours.

Anyone who wants to present the story of Dune visually needs to call HBO or Showtime.


I understand where you're coming from, but personally I'm of the "Nothing is unfilmable" school. A TV series is an interesting thought. Each book would be one season, or something to that effect.

User avatar
merkin muffley
Posts: 1584
Joined: 23 Apr 2010 15:18
Location: War Room

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby merkin muffley » 01 Aug 2010 16:49

Superdog wrote:I kept the scenes for the most part, but in a film there's no point in introducing a character if they play such a minor role. There's also no point in expecting the audience to remember them and it just confuses things. If they only appear in one act then take 'em out. Thus, Shadout Mapes becomes "Elderly Fremen Housekeeper".


Makes sense.

Superdog wrote:
TheDukester wrote:I'll go with "Let's not cut anything out and realize that Dune cannot possibly be told in two or three hours."

Anyone who wants to present the story of Dune visually needs to call HBO or Showtime.


A TV series is an interesting thought. Each book would be one season, or something to that effect.


An HBO miniseries would be the best-case scenario, I think. It would probably never happen, and it's probably true that a two to three hour film of Dune could never be satisfying, but it's fun to think about. Must've been fun to write that screenplay, too.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."

User avatar
Superdog
Posts: 150
Joined: 10 Apr 2010 23:09

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby Superdog » 01 Aug 2010 21:43

merkin muffley wrote:
Superdog wrote:I kept the scenes for the most part, but in a film there's no point in introducing a character if they play such a minor role. There's also no point in expecting the audience to remember them and it just confuses things. If they only appear in one act then take 'em out. Thus, Shadout Mapes becomes "Elderly Fremen Housekeeper".


Makes sense.

Superdog wrote:
TheDukester wrote:I'll go with "Let's not cut anything out and realize that Dune cannot possibly be told in two or three hours."

Anyone who wants to present the story of Dune visually needs to call HBO or Showtime.


A TV series is an interesting thought. Each book would be one season, or something to that effect.


An HBO miniseries would be the best-case scenario, I think. It would probably never happen, and it's probably true that a two to three hour film of Dune could never be satisfying, but it's fun to think about. Must've been fun to write that screenplay, too.


It was hard, I gave up after 40 pages. It was fun to write though.

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 02 Aug 2010 14:11

TheDukester wrote:I'll go with "Let's not cut anything out and realize that Dune cannot possibly be told in two or three hours."


Yes, I think we all realize that, this was just a hypothetical my friend. :wink:
Image

User avatar
Superdog
Posts: 150
Joined: 10 Apr 2010 23:09

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby Superdog » 14 Aug 2010 18:29

An animated movie is a good thought too. The lower budget would mean more creative control for the people making it. And it could be visually amazing, using the best concept artists and animators from America and Japan. (not that I think it should be anime per se)

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 14 Aug 2010 18:52

I'm in agreement on that for sure, animated would be better, but it's unlikely to happen.
Image

User avatar
Jodorowsky's Acolyte
Posts: 370
Joined: 10 Jul 2010 10:55

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby Jodorowsky's Acolyte » 14 Aug 2010 23:08

How about a DUNE animated film headed by Gerald Scarfe, the cartoonist who did art for Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here tours and The Wall? Try checking out the Scarfe cartoon sequence for the song, "Welcome to the Machine," on You Tube. It is very surreal and DUNE-like... Jodorowsky could make his long delayed film of DUNE into an animated film, OR a fully interactive computer game with advanced animations based off of Giger's and Foss's art work (with photo-realistic digital recreations of Orson Welles and David Carradine... AND Salvidor Dali).
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby Redstar » 14 Aug 2010 23:44

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:How about a DUNE animated film headed by Gerald Scarfe, the cartoonist who did art for Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here tours and The Wall? Try checking out the Scarfe cartoon sequence for the song, "Welcome to the Machine," on You Tube. It is very surreal and DUNE-like... Jodorowsky could make his long delayed film of DUNE into an animated film, OR a fully interactive computer game with advanced animations based off of Giger's and Foss's art work (with photo-realistic digital recreations of Orson Welles and David Carradine... AND Salvidor Dali).

He kind of already did. When his role in the Dune adaptation fell through he went ahead and adapted his ideas into an original comic and (I believe) an animated film. It was posted on here a few months back.

User avatar
Robspierre
Posts: 2160
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 10:49
Location: Cascadia

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Postby Robspierre » 15 Aug 2010 00:28

Redstar wrote:
Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:How about a DUNE animated film headed by Gerald Scarfe, the cartoonist who did art for Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here tours and The Wall? Try checking out the Scarfe cartoon sequence for the song, "Welcome to the Machine," on You Tube. It is very surreal and DUNE-like... Jodorowsky could make his long delayed film of DUNE into an animated film, OR a fully interactive computer game with advanced animations based off of Giger's and Foss's art work (with photo-realistic digital recreations of Orson Welles and David Carradine... AND Salvidor Dali).

He kind of already did. When his role in the Dune adaptation fell through he went ahead and adapted his ideas into an original comic and (I believe) an animated film. It was posted on here a few months back.


The comic was Meta-Barons. Some crazy shit too :D

Rob


Return to “˱”