• Login
  •          

What are you reading?

Non-dune discussion

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Serkanner » 08 Mar 2017 10:05

Freakzilla wrote:
    Omphalos wrote: ...and AFAIK Freak remains un-incarcerated.

It's amazing how you can make regular payments for years and then they just decide to fuck with your life all of a sudden for kicks.

I have been a champion screwing myself over this way. It is only since my break-up three years ago (women are indeed very expensive to keep) that I have straightened things out and am even able to save some money.
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    Serkanner

Postby Sandwurm88 » 18 Mar 2017 22:00

Just took a look at 2001: A Space Odyssey. Pretty much felt like the same thing as the movie, with things explained a little more. Enjoyable, fast read that actually reminded me a lot of Olaf Stapledon's Star Maker, the more I thought about it.

Up next is Discourses by the Greco-Roman philosopher Epictetus!
    Sandwurm88
    Not Soleman

Postby Freakzilla » 19 Mar 2017 08:00

Sandwurm88 wrote:Just took a look at 2001: A Space Odyssey. Pretty much felt like the same thing as the movie, with things explained a little more. Enjoyable, fast read that actually reminded me a lot of Olaf Stapledon's Star Maker, the more I thought about it.

Up next is Discourses by the Greco-Roman philosopher Epictetus!

That's because it was a novelization of the screenplay.
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Postby Sandwurm88 » 19 Mar 2017 16:44

:lol: That would explain it... I thought for some reason the movie was based on the book. Turns out Clarke and Kubrick kinda worked on them at the same time, with the novel being released a few months after the movie.
    I think the movie was a bit better, but I'd still recommend the book.
    Sandwurm88
    Not Soleman

Postby Freakzilla » 20 Mar 2017 05:33

Sandwurm88 wrote::lol: That would explain it... I thought for some reason the movie was based on the book. Turns out Clarke and Kubrick kinda worked on them at the same time, with the novel being released a few months after the movie.
    I think the movie was a bit better, but I'd still recommend the book.

I read the book before I saw the movie and I'm really glad I did because I'd have had no idea what was going on with the movie. 2001 was very artistically done but I liked 2010 better.
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Freakzilla

Postby SadisticCynic » 21 Mar 2017 18:45

I've read Pride and Prejudice recently. That was great! Austen's sarcasm levels are out of control. :)

Now I'm on to The White Plague by Herbert. Very weird seeing Irish place names in a novel somehow...
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    SadisticCynic

Postby Freakzilla » 22 Mar 2017 06:06

SadisticCynic wrote:...Now I'm on to The White Plague by Herbert. Very weird seeing Irish place names in a novel somehow...

I just read that recently! I think it's one of FH's better non-Dune books.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Freakzilla

Postby SadisticCynic » 01 May 2017 19:22

I finally got to the end of The White Plague. That was pretty good most of the way through, although it could be a little dry at times, particularly starting off.

He's asking questions that I've found myself asking recently, that scientists rarely seem to concern themselves with the possible social and cultural effects of their research. The political intrigue was pretty great as well, and the difficulty of assigning blame once a few hundred years of tit for tat have gone by.

Weird thing: There's been a revived interest in The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood, and I've seen questions along the lines of how could such a horrible society come about. I don't really remember much about the plot of that one now, but I'd guess White Plague could fit as an example of how to get there.

Anyway, started on Villette by Charlotte Bronte.
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    SadisticCynic

Postby Naib » 02 May 2017 10:06

SadisticCynic wrote:I finally got to the end of The White Plague. That was pretty good most of the way through, although it could be a little dry at times, particularly starting off.

He's asking questions that I've found myself asking recently, that scientists rarely seem to concern themselves with the possible social and cultural effects of their research. The political intrigue was pretty great as well, and the difficulty of assigning blame once a few hundred years of tit for tat have gone by.

Weird thing: There's been a revived interest in The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood, and I've seen questions along the lines of how could such a horrible society come about. I don't really remember much about the plot of that one now, but I'd guess White Plague could fit as an example of how to get there.

I read The White Plague when in came out in 1982 and a couple of times since. While the technology used to create the virus was piffle, I was fascinated by his methods of researching and developing the virus, and the means by which he spread it. I found it so interesting it very heavily influenced me to study biochemistry at uni.
    Naib

Postby Omphalos » 02 May 2017 11:10

SadisticCynic wrote:I finally got to the end of The White Plague. That was pretty good most of the way through, although it could be a little dry at times, particularly starting off.

Overall I liked that book, but I thought Herbert kind of half-assed it in parts. for instance, I never got a true, deep understanding of how O'Day could do what he did in the first place. I get that he was torn up about his family, but to take that and go kill every woman on the planet? Come on. Who the fuck does that? Has there ever been a reaction that strong? Just kill yourself.

I did do a review of it. http://www.omphalosbookreviews.com/inde ... ews/info/3
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Postby Eyes High » 04 May 2017 17:46

Dead Men Do Tell Tales. By William R. Maples, Ph.D and Michael Browning.

What fear is there in the night?
    Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
    Eyes High
    Patience Personified

Postby Omphalos » 08 May 2017 09:58

I forgot to bring a book from home on my last trip to Bozeman, so I bought a Stephen King book called End of Watch at the airport. Not bad, but it is beneath his abilities. Its book #3 in a loosely connected trilogy about a serial killer. Apparently in the last book (which I have not read) the killer was struck on the head and left permanently impaired. I am about half way through the third and apparently some psychologist at the institution the killer is in has devised a formula that lets the killer do his dirty deeds from a distance, and with mental powers. Not the best SK I have ever read, and it for some reason lacks the detailed descriptions of the town and its inhabitants that he is famous for. It's OK.

I also picked up a copy of Robert McCammon's Swan Song from Amazon. I read it back in the late 80's when it came out, and I remember loving it. I think it was a bit of south-coast weird set after a nuclear war. I have a vague recollection of a mutant who has a third arm right in the center of his chest. The arm is pretty weak, but he holds a derringer in it and uses it to get the drop on bad guys. Although, I might be confusing that with another McCammon book.
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Previous

Return to ˲