my storage
found it near the top

sublime...

Love that one.

SadisticCynic

Re: What are you reading?

Postby SadisticCynic » 20 Dec 2019 07:02

A couple I've read recently.

The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Shafak. The story is about the contrast between having a history and feeling the weight of the past and having no past and longing for a history to call your own, and she does this by examining the intimate daily lives of two families, Armenian and Turkish,and how the spectre of the Armenian genocide overshadows those lives, often without the people involved being conscious of the fact. It's a really beautiful novel; I read the last 150 or so pages in one sitting. I'm quite sure I'll try and read through Shafak's bibliography.

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. I guess this one is famous so people know the main ideas, so I'll just say I really enjoyed it. In particular, I liked that it wasn't a simple 'tribe good, colonist bad' scenario, but just showed people and societies interacting and the effects they produce. I especially enjoyed the portrayal of how Christianity is (was?) used to undermine the structure of a foreign society by exploiting it's flaws, only to replace it with something much worse.

On Fire: The Burning Case for a Green New Deal by Naomi Klein. I love reading Naomi's work. It's rare to find something that makes me hope again.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity

distrans

Re: What are you reading?

Postby distrans » 03 Jan 2020 07:47

city of inmates

conquest, rebellion, and the rise
of human caging in los angeles
1771-1956

Kelly lytle hernandez