• Register
  • Login
  •          

    Where is ....?

    Image
      Non-dune discussion

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 04 Oct 2009 12:14

    Freakzilla wrote:The true test is how you say "fire".


    Hmm, like sigh-r, maybe with a little "e" before the "r", I alternate between making it a one and two syllable word pretty often, I think it depends on how fast I speak.

    How do you say it? You have a bit of a drawl right?
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby SandRider » 04 Oct 2009 12:19

    fire = "far", one syllable.


    same with wire - barbed wire = "barbwor"
    ................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
    ImageImage

    I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
    how to fully interact with people.
    ~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
    User avatar
    SandRider
    Watermaster
     
    Posts: 6163
    Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
    Location: In the back of your mind. Always.

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby SandChigger » 04 Oct 2009 18:27

    "Bar-bwar". :P
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby Leto » 05 Oct 2009 07:36

    :lol: :lol: :lol:

    In my professionnal surroundings, I cannot understand what those americans (or even english people) say.

    But, I have no problem to speak with Japaneses, Africans, or even Canadianss and of course italians, spanishes...
    but the natives, they do have a fucking weird accent, incomprehensible :crazy:
    If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets
    Gurney Halleck
    Image
    Image
    KJA ? Keep Just Away?
    Filo
    User avatar
    Leto
     
    Posts: 78
    Joined: 29 Mar 2008 12:54
    Location: Here and there

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby Eyes High » 05 Oct 2009 13:13

    Leto wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

    In my professionnal surroundings, I cannot understand what those americans (or even english people) say.

    But, I have no problem to speak with Japaneses, Africans, or even Canadianss and of course italians, spanishes...
    but the natives, they do have a fucking weird accent, incomprehensible :crazy:



    But you still love some of us. :mrgreen: Oui?
    What fear is there in the night?
    Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
    User avatar
    Eyes High
    Patience Personified
     
    Posts: 2320
    Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
    Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby chanilover » 05 Oct 2009 16:36

    You've all got weird accents. Collar and caller sound nothing like each other in my accent, and fire doesn't have an r sound in it.

    I bet Eyes High sounds like someone from Gone With The Wind.
    "You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
    Image
    Image
    User avatar
    chanilover
     
    Posts: 1639
    Joined: 18 Feb 2008 08:29

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 05 Oct 2009 17:37

    chanilover wrote:You've all got weird accents. Collar and caller sound nothing like each other in my accent, and fire doesn't have an r sound in it.

    I bet Eyes High sounds like someone from Gone With The Wind.


    What part of GB are you from again? No r in fire? What is it then, "fah"?

    And yes, we all do have some weird accents.
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby Schu » 05 Oct 2009 21:47

    For me it's something like fiya. No r for me either. Where I'm from, South Australia, we don't have much of an aussie "ocker" accent, it's more brit. In fact, when I've been interstate and overseas, people have mistaken me for a brit.
    User avatar
    Schu
     
    Posts: 756
    Joined: 18 Dec 2008 00:51
    Location: Adelaide, Aussie

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby Eyes High » 05 Oct 2009 23:13

    chanilover wrote:You've all got weird accents. Collar and caller sound nothing like each other in my accent, and fire doesn't have an r sound in it.

    I bet Eyes High sounds like someone from Gone With The Wind.


    Oh Fiddle-DE-Dee

    Actually, it depends on whom you ask about my 'accent.' Some Yankees say, yeap I'm Southerner yet some people around here have claimed that I'm from another country. I've even been told I 'must' have Cajun in me. I'm just weird I guess. (Alright, I heard that chuckle) :naughty:

    There are two of our members who have heard my voice (well three counting Spiff) but only one of them comes on here regularly. He would have to tell you what my voice sounds like if he so chose. (and if he remembers) But I doubt if it is as pretty as anything from "Gone W/the Wind." And yes. I loved that movie and the book and of course the book was better.

    Then again. Maybe I should let y'all think that. Keep that picture of the little Southern Belle in your heads. :think: :mrgreen:
    What fear is there in the night?
    Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
    User avatar
    Eyes High
    Patience Personified
     
    Posts: 2320
    Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
    Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 06 Oct 2009 00:23

    I hope I don't sound like Bob and Doug Mckenzie when Americans hear me talk, I doubt I do though because they (Bob&Doug) sound pretty nuts to me.

    I have the normal US TV accent as far as I can tell, maybe a word or two different, but pretty much pick a show like friends and that's my accent.

    My friend from Ireland says he can hear the difference between north US and normal Canadian accents though, he says we speak more softly than our US neighbors. :)
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby SandChigger » 06 Oct 2009 00:35

    I got to thinking, you should know what Teg and I sound like from the podcasts. :)

    (Shameless plug. Sue me. :P )
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby lotek » 06 Oct 2009 02:57

    I was born in London but grew up in France speaking and reading English for the first years of my life, so when I went back to London many years later my accent was not your typical Frenchie's, but still not quite right.
    I worked in pubs and building sites for a while, truly the best places to learn how to speak "proper", what with all the swearing drunks in one and loads of non english speaking foreigners in the other(that made for some comedy moments when you think on how do you warn a Brazilian guy that a hammer is gonna fall on his head? you don't...)
    So in the end even my own dad would hardly understand me when I came back, and I had great fun in London pretending I was from New Zeland or fuck knows where. One of my jokes was to speak English to French tourists for a week, make them struggle understanding and then suddenly talk fluent French while half'arsed at the pub... those were the days!
    Spice is the worm's gonads.
    User avatar
    lotek
     
    Posts: 5734
    Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby SandChigger » 06 Oct 2009 06:19

    lotek wrote:One of my jokes was to speak English to French tourists for a week, make them struggle understanding and then suddenly talk fluent French while half'arsed at the pub... those were the days!

    :lol:

    I try to conceal exactly how much Japanese I speak from my first-years. Keeps 'em guessing and makes 'em work harder. :twisted:

    And the looks on their faces when they eventually find out ... priceless. :lol:
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby lotek » 06 Oct 2009 06:34

    SandChigger wrote:
    lotek wrote:One of my jokes was to speak English to French tourists for a week, make them struggle understanding and then suddenly talk fluent French while half'arsed at the pub... those were the days!

    :lol:

    I try to conceal exactly how much Japanese I speak from my first-years. Keeps 'em guessing and makes 'em work harder. :twisted:

    And the looks on their faces when they eventually find out ... priceless. :lol:


    you are evil :lol: :lol:
    ...




    ...
    not taking pictures of that look :mrgreen:

    How much japanese do you speak(I won't take five for an answer!)
    Image

    wow this one is...
    Image
    Spice is the worm's gonads.
    User avatar
    lotek
     
    Posts: 5734
    Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby SandChigger » 06 Oct 2009 10:53

    lotek wrote:How much japanese do you speak(I won't take five for an answer!)

    OK, then.

    Six. :P

    Image

    The top one says Wanpaku Hiroba, but it means "naughty" more in the sense of little rascals or mischievous children. Just reading the name you know it's a place where children can play, probably with swings, slides, that sort of thing. :)

    (The bottom one is really boring, since everything after the first kanji is just the katakana phonetic syllabary; it says Nishi Saikuringu Sentaa. English loanwords, in other words. :P )

    wow this one is...
    Image


    This one says Kashi-hon (books for rent) in kanji, with Komikku (comics) and Magajin (magazines) again in katakana.

    OK, so maybe seven. :lol:

    Edit: Hey, I just realized that yesterday was the 22nd anniversary of my coming to this benighted land.

    Woot! :P
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 06 Oct 2009 11:38

    22 years... hope to join you at some point, I'm trying to hatch plans to record Taiko drummers.
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby Drunken Idaho » 06 Oct 2009 11:39

    A Thing of Eternity wrote:I hope I don't sound like Bob and Doug Mckenzie when Americans hear me talk, I doubt I do though because they (Bob&Doug) sound pretty nuts to me.

    I have the normal US TV accent as far as I can tell, maybe a word or two different, but pretty much pick a show like friends and that's my accent.

    My friend from Ireland says he can hear the difference between north US and normal Canadian accents though, he says we speak more softly than our US neighbors. :)


    I don't know if you've ever heard Maritimers speak, but that's the closest thing I've heard to the stereotypical "Strange Brew" Canadian accent. Both Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis are Canadian in real life, and neither of them sound like Bob and Doug when they speak.

    I was once told by an American southerner that I have a "TV accent" :shock: which I suppose means that I speak how people speak on American television, which I have to say I concur with. For instance, (and this is just the first example that comes to mind) no one on NBC's The Office sounds like they don't belong where I come from.
    "The Idahos were never ordinary people."
    -Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
    User avatar
    Drunken Idaho
     
    Posts: 1197
    Joined: 15 Sep 2008 23:56
    Location: Ontario, Canada

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 06 Oct 2009 13:48

    Drunken Idaho wrote:
    A Thing of Eternity wrote:I hope I don't sound like Bob and Doug Mckenzie when Americans hear me talk, I doubt I do though because they (Bob&Doug) sound pretty nuts to me.

    I have the normal US TV accent as far as I can tell, maybe a word or two different, but pretty much pick a show like friends and that's my accent.

    My friend from Ireland says he can hear the difference between north US and normal Canadian accents though, he says we speak more softly than our US neighbors. :)


    I don't know if you've ever heard Maritimers speak, but that's the closest thing I've heard to the stereotypical "Strange Brew" Canadian accent. Both Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis are Canadian in real life, and neither of them sound like Bob and Doug when they speak.

    I was once told by an American southerner that I have a "TV accent" :shock: which I suppose means that I speak how people speak on American television, which I have to say I concur with. For instance, (and this is just the first example that comes to mind) no one on NBC's The Office sounds like they don't belong where I come from.


    I grew up with a newfie best friend, I don't think even the maritimers have that accent. I don't know where it's supposed to be from!

    And same here, everyone on the office sounds normal to me.
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby SandRider » 06 Oct 2009 14:28

    so y'all are sayin that everbody on the TeeVee is talkin Canuck ?

    what the fuck kinda evil Yankee plot is that ?

    :think:
    ................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
    ImageImage

    I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
    how to fully interact with people.
    ~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
    User avatar
    SandRider
    Watermaster
     
    Posts: 6163
    Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
    Location: In the back of your mind. Always.

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 06 Oct 2009 14:41

    Shhhhhsssssssshhhhhh. :shock:
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Where is ....?

    Postby Leto » 06 Oct 2009 16:54

    Eyes High wrote:But you still love some of us. :mrgreen: Oui?


    Of course, we do :shifty:

    lotek wrote:I was born in London but grew up in France speaking and reading English for the first years of my life, so when I went back to London many years later my accent was not your typical Frenchie's, but still not quite right.


    That's the same for any country : regarding you birth/childhood location, you'll have a typical accent (as typical expressions, vocabulary, aso...). It's part of humankind wealth, as a cause of misunderstanding...
    If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets
    Gurney Halleck
    Image
    Image
    KJA ? Keep Just Away?
    Filo
    User avatar
    Leto
     
    Posts: 78
    Joined: 29 Mar 2008 12:54
    Location: Here and there

    Previous

    Return to ˲

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

    cron