• Register
  • Login
  •          

    Official Dune Decay

    Image
      Non-dune discussion

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Official Dune Decay

    Postby lotek » 25 Mar 2010 07:11

    Image

    I thought it was a group someone here had started or something, but it turns out it's the official page for the band called "Dune Decay"

    :lol:
    Spice is the worm's gonads.
    User avatar
    lotek
     
    Posts: 5734
    Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

    Re: Official Dune Decay

    Postby D Pope » 22 May 2010 12:20

    A few weeks ago, I attended con-tamination here in St. Louis & met some members of a local band named Harkonnen. (One of thier albums is named Ghanima)
    I haven't heard thier music yet, but imagine 'dune bands' are a trend on the rise.
    Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
    -Omphalos
    D Pope
     
    Posts: 1500
    Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
    Location: Grubville

    Re: Official Dune Decay

    Postby cmsahe » 27 May 2010 02:42

    D Pope wrote:A few weeks ago, I attended con-tamination here in St. Louis & met some members of a local band named Harkonnen. (One of thier albums is named Ghanima)
    I haven't heard thier music yet, but imagine 'dune bands' are a trend on the rise.


    I hope The Three Stooges do not sue them.


    Dune: New experiences within the reach of your hand:
    http://www.dune.es/
    Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.


    Who We Are and What We Stand For
    http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
    ----
    Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
    User avatar
    cmsahe
     
    Posts: 598
    Joined: 26 Aug 2008 22:40
    Location: Mexico City

    Re: Official Dune Decay

    Postby D Pope » 27 May 2010 11:40

    Oh man! What a gearshift! Ok, strage pictures for a Dune site, where's the content- wait that IS the content. It's like reaching into the fridge for a milk jug you think is full only to find that it's almost gone after crashing it into the roof.
    Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
    -Omphalos
    D Pope
     
    Posts: 1500
    Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
    Location: Grubville

    Re: Official Dune Decay

    Postby SandRider » 27 May 2010 13:45

    D Pope wrote:A few weeks ago, I attended con-tamination here in St. Louis & met some members of a local band named Harkonnen. (One of thier albums is named Ghanima)
    I haven't heard thier music yet, but imagine 'dune bands' are a trend on the rise.


    hey, why don'tcha check them out a little more, get A Thing of Eternity a link to their music
    for an opinion, maybe invite them here - altho, if they're DuneHeads, they should know about it ...
    ................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
    ImageImage

    I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
    how to fully interact with people.
    ~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
    User avatar
    SandRider
    Watermaster
     
    Posts: 6163
    Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
    Location: In the back of your mind. Always.

    Re: Official Dune Decay

    Postby Apjak » 27 May 2010 15:09

    As long as were on the Bands with Dune names, You have the Almost Christian, Almost Straightedge, Deathmetal band SHAI HULUD .

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shai_Hulud_%28band%29
    I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
    We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
    There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
    User avatar
    Apjak
     
    Posts: 518
    Joined: 30 Jun 2008 12:06
    Location: Kansas City

    Re: Official Dune Decay

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 27 May 2010 17:14

    Apjak wrote:As long as were on the Bands with Dune names, You have the Almost Christian, Almost Straightedge, Deathmetal band SHAI HULUD .

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shai_Hulud_%28band%29


    That's actually not even remotely deathmetal, that would fall under "hardcore" or maybe "post hardcore" if you're one of those damned genre trendsters. :wink: Great band though, one of my favs.

    There's a band in my city I just found out about called Chakobsa, their album cover was a sandworm. I'll have to find a link, they're a blues rock band I think I heard.
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Official Dune Decay

    Postby SandRider » 27 May 2010 17:26

    I could dig all those cats involved here, unless some of them plan to try to get some HLP money;
    they'd have to stay clear .... altho, I'd imagine the Parasites would sic Frank Walden, Internet Property
    Rights Lawyer, on them if they started making any dough ... let's find some linky-links for their myspaces
    and such and send out some feelers ... we need some new Cool Kids around here ...
    ................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
    ImageImage

    I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
    how to fully interact with people.
    ~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
    User avatar
    SandRider
    Watermaster
     
    Posts: 6163
    Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
    Location: In the back of your mind. Always.

    Re: Official Dune Decay

    Postby lotek » 27 May 2010 18:16

    does that mean I'm not a cool kid anymore?

    was I ever :lol:
    Spice is the worm's gonads.
    User avatar
    lotek
     
    Posts: 5734
    Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

    Re: Official Dune Decay

    Postby D Pope » 27 May 2010 18:17

    Looks like there's more than one band with the Harkonnen title... Took a little doing but these are the guys I met.

    http://www.myspace.com/harkonin

    http://www.harkonin.com/forums/viewtopi ... &view=next
    Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
    -Omphalos
    D Pope
     
    Posts: 1500
    Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
    Location: Grubville

    Re: Official Dune Decay

    Postby SadisticCynic » 27 May 2010 18:56

    A Thing of Eternity wrote:
    Apjak wrote:As long as were on the Bands with Dune names, You have the Almost Christian, Almost Straightedge, Deathmetal band SHAI HULUD .

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shai_Hulud_%28band%29


    That's actually not even remotely deathmetal, that would fall under "hardcore" or maybe "post hardcore" if you're one of those damned genre trendsters. :wink: Great band though, one of my favs.

    There's a band in my city I just found out about called Chakobsa, their album cover was a sandworm. I'll have to find a link, they're a blues rock band I think I heard.


    Recommend any songs?
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    User avatar
    SadisticCynic
     
    Posts: 2004
    Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
    Location: In Time or in Space?

    Re: Official Dune Decay

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 28 May 2010 15:15

    SadisticCynic wrote:
    A Thing of Eternity wrote:
    Apjak wrote:As long as were on the Bands with Dune names, You have the Almost Christian, Almost Straightedge, Deathmetal band SHAI HULUD .

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shai_Hulud_%28band%29


    That's actually not even remotely deathmetal, that would fall under "hardcore" or maybe "post hardcore" if you're one of those damned genre trendsters. :wink: Great band though, one of my favs.

    There's a band in my city I just found out about called Chakobsa, their album cover was a sandworm. I'll have to find a link, they're a blues rock band I think I heard.


    Recommend any songs?


    Misanthropy Pure was the song that got me hooked in the first place. I really liked the odd production on the guitar and bass tones in that album, I have yet to figure out how they got those sounds.
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Official Dune Decay

    Postby inhuien » 29 May 2010 13:35


    This is the first and only track I've heard from these boys and they are rather good. I've always digged controlled anger.
    Re the production, what I'm hearing is a mix of styles. the drums and rhythm guitar are standard thrash/hardcore fare, it's the lead and bass that stand out as being cleaner and less distorted than normal for the genre. The bass sounds compressed and harmonised with quite a scooped EQ, the leads more difficult for me the only thing I can say is it sounds almost jazzy (bridge pickup through a small valve amp like a twin reverb). All said thought I may well be talking shite but my desktops Altec Lansings are fairly revealing, but there a million miles from being reference. They're certainly a lot heavier and dare I say a tighter outfit but they reminded me of early Helmet, I think it was the tunefulness of that track.
    Image
    User avatar
    inhuien
     
    Posts: 3629
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
    Location: right here as in not (all) there

    Re: Official Dune Decay

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 31 May 2010 17:37

    inhuien wrote:
    This is the first and only track I've heard from these boys and they are rather good. I've always digged controlled anger.
    Re the production, what I'm hearing is a mix of styles. the drums and rhythm guitar are standard thrash/hardcore fare, it's the lead and bass that stand out as being cleaner and less distorted than normal for the genre. The bass sounds compressed and harmonised with quite a scooped EQ, the leads more difficult for me the only thing I can say is it sounds almost jazzy (bridge pickup through a small valve amp like a twin reverb). All said thought I may well be talking shite but my desktops Altec Lansings are fairly revealing, but there a million miles from being reference. They're certainly a lot heavier and dare I say a tighter outfit but they reminded me of early Helmet, I think it was the tunefulness of that track.


    I've got some good reference Genelecs I've listened to it on, I get what happened for most of the production, but there's something really odd on the guitars, like they've had a ring modulator or something else slightly dissonant applied to them. Maybe they just did a weird harmony double tracked that I;ve never heard before, but it sounds bloody alien to me, I've never heard anything like it.
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta


    Return to ˲

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests