No Double Negatives!

    Non-dune discussion

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1990
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby DuneFishUK » 06 Aug 2010 12:39

Two wrongs don't make a right and two rights send you back towards where you came from.

(However, I concede that three lefts could make a right.)

D Pope
Posts: 1500
Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
Location: Grubville

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby D Pope » 06 Aug 2010 12:41

A shameless plagerist wrote:One of the most common mistakes in 'my house' (English grammar) is a 'stubbed toe.' (double negative) This irritates me the most of all errors in 'my house' (grammar) because it's often an accepted mistake and yet the mistake is sooooo 'painfull!' (obvious!) I'd rather hear profanity than 'stub my toe.' (the double negative.)
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby TheDukester » 06 Aug 2010 13:03

DuneFishUK wrote:(However, I concede that three lefts could make a right.)

I had a grandfather who refused to make left turns. It was nutty ... but, like anything else, you sort of got used to it.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

User avatar
lotek
Posts: 5747
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby lotek » 06 Aug 2010 13:15

I've heard of such people but I thought it was just a legend !
Spice is the worm's gonads.

User avatar
The Red Duke
Posts: 39
Joined: 26 Jun 2010 13:38
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby The Red Duke » 06 Aug 2010 16:34

Nebiros wrote:Now obviously I've already figured out all these. But what if I misunderstood a double negative I've never heard before in the future?


Then you're an idiot.
I have a special seat in my house that is designed to let me shit in a bowl of fresh water. I am the 1%.

User avatar
BH
Posts: 31
Joined: 04 Jun 2008 10:58

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby BH » 06 Aug 2010 18:16

You guys are crul. Nebiros is'to be applauded and basted! He'has idenfitied one'of my most hated languagistic pregudices, that of the "repteated negation," more commonly called the mighty double "negative".


In fact, he is'so careful with his wordage that I have decided that I will re-co-write Dune 7 with him. I think we will do a grate job without all those KJA fuckups, do'not you guyse alsos not concur? So, fuck you, Kevin!


BTW, this internet stuff is totally cool. Had no idea what'I was missing.


Hey, was I just a leet when I said ,BTW?,
The Mutati are NOT facedancers! They are TOTALLY different! Can'you'not see that?

User avatar
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener
Posts: 3292
Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby Nekhrun » 06 Aug 2010 18:21

Sorry Buddy!
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros

User avatar
Eyes High
Patience Personified
Posts: 2322
Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby Eyes High » 06 Aug 2010 20:45

:roll:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.

User avatar
SandRider
Watermaster
Posts: 6163
Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
Location: In the back of your mind. Always.
Contact:

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby SandRider » 06 Aug 2010 23:22

TheDukester wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:(However, I concede that three lefts could make a right.)

I had a grandfather who refused to make left turns. It was nutty ... but, like anything else, you sort of got used to it.



I do that ... wish other people would too ...

irritates me to get stuck behind some woman trying to turn left out of the HEB across three lanes of
on-coming traffic on Avenue N, when it's easier (and safer) to turn right, then right again on College Hills,
and cut thru the side-road by the Sonic and come out at the same place on Beauregard Avenue - and
with the wait at the light at that intersection, I'll often pass the same woman, now tying to turn left
onto Beauregard ...

people make shit harder than it has to be ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008

User avatar
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener
Posts: 3292
Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby Nekhrun » 07 Aug 2010 00:14

Someone once wrote:Some people never observe anything. Life just happens to them. They get by on little more than a kind of dumb persistence, and they resist with anger and resentment anything that might lift them out of that false serenity.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros

User avatar
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman
Posts: 541
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 10:16

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby Sandwurm88 » 07 Aug 2010 16:36

Dude, just get out of here. You can't take the hints, can you? (Haha, it's okay, neither can I!)

User avatar
Robspierre
Posts: 2161
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 10:49
Location: Cascadia

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby Robspierre » 07 Aug 2010 16:41

I can't get no satisfaction!


Rob

User avatar
Jabecca
Posts: 54
Joined: 13 Nov 2009 10:01
Location: Fridge
Contact:

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby Jabecca » 08 Aug 2010 08:30

BH wrote:You guys are crul. Nebiros is'to be applauded and basted! He'has idenfitied one'of my most hated languagistic pregudices, that of the "repteated negation," more commonly called the mighty double "negative".


In fact, he is'so careful with his wordage that I have decided that I will re-co-write Dune 7 with him. I think we will do a grate job without all those KJA fuckups, do'not you guyse alsos not concur? So, fuck you, Kevin!


BTW, this internet stuff is totally cool. Had no idea what'I was missing.


Hey, was I just a leet when I said ,BTW?,


Oh, Nebby!
You go done get Brian all riled up.
It's double dong time :wink:
"Supersize Me!" -McDune
http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

User avatar
lotek
Posts: 5747
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby lotek » 08 Aug 2010 12:51

if you say BH out loud it sounds like biatch...
(or I am sure it does somewhere in the us of a)
the hack and his bh :mrgreen:
Spice is the worm's gonads.

User avatar
merkin muffley
Posts: 1584
Joined: 23 Apr 2010 15:18
Location: War Room

Re: No Double Negatives!

Postby merkin muffley » 08 Aug 2010 19:00

Jabecca wrote:It's double dong time :wink:


:lol: I'm lovin' it...
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."