• Register
  • Login
  •          

    Anyone know Gaelic?

    Image
      Non-dune discussion

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Re: Anyone know Gaelic?

    Postby Eyes High » 09 Apr 2011 13:28

    SandRider wrote:I was gonna post at the start of this thread -
    "looking for new tattoo ?" ....

    It was an idea bouncing around. But nothing set in stone.

    SandRider wrote:Chig might back me up on this, but if you are really serious about getting
    a meaningful tat, and I'm sure you are, I'd suggest looking for some
    old known phrases, in context, instead of tying gaelic words together
    without an absolute certainty of the correct usage and grammar ... you could
    end up like all those kids in the early nineties with japanese characters on their
    necks the tat-dude said meant "glowing peace and light of serenity" but years
    later a jap told them actually read "have a Coke & a smile" ... or worse ...


    That's why I came to the expert. And friends that I trust.

    I was actually looking at some Japanese Characters and Kenji Characters while I was waiting to speak with Ray and got to thinking if they really meant what was written beneath them. :think: Then my domino thinking took me to what would be the gaelic for such-or-such and that of course lead me to think that Chig would know and maybe some of my other Jacurutu family members.

    (Speaking of which, Chig what exactly is Kenji? I think I might know but would like to be sure.)

    SandRider wrote:cause as my momma said when I wrote her I got my first tat :
    "you know that don't wash off ... "

    That's funny. :lol:

    :roll: My oldest son actually had the audacity to say that I was just going through my mid-life crisis. :evil:
    :tissue2: :whistle: :shifty: :snooty:

    Honestly, I'm not for sure If I'll stop with this next tattoo or if I'll wind up getting something in Gaelic or French; however, I never imagined myself with a bunch of tatts, so I doubt they would be many more, if any, after the cross and dragon which I asked my middle son to design for me.

    But if I did, I would want to make sure that it read what it was suppose to read. ;) :mrgreen:

    And like Ray said; just because something looks nice on paper doesn't mean it will look that good on skin.
    What fear is there in the night?
    Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
    User avatar
    Eyes High
    Patience Personified
     
    Posts: 2320
    Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
    Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

    Re: Anyone know Gaelic?

    Postby SandChigger » 09 Apr 2011 14:00

    Eyes High wrote:(Speaking of which, Chig what exactly is Kenji? I think I might know but would like to be sure.)

    Kenji? That's a guy's name. :P

    Could also mean "prosecutor" in a courtroom context. ;)

    Kanji is Chinese characters. Literally. Kan 漢 means "Chinese" and ji 字 is "written symbol". Kan is just the way the Japanese have come to pronounce what is now Han in Beijing Chinese, the name of the Han people, the Han Dynasty. The Japanese use kanji to write nouns and the roots of most verbs and adjectives.
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: Anyone know Gaelic?

    Postby Eyes High » 09 Apr 2011 14:02

    SandChigger wrote:
    Eyes High wrote:(Speaking of which, Chig what exactly is Kenji? I think I might know but would like to be sure.)

    Kenji? That's a guy's name. :P

    Could also mean "prosecutor" in a courtroom context. ;)

    Kanji is Chinese characters. Literally. Kan 漢 means "Chinese" and ji 字 is "written symbol". Kan is just the way the Japanese have come to pronounce what is now Han in Beijing Chinese, the name of the Han people, the Han Dynasty. The Japanese use kanji to write nouns and the roots of most verbs and adjectives.



    It probably was Kanji, and I just spelled it wrong then. :oops: I was thinking it was Chinese but wasn't 100% sure. Thanks Chig.
    What fear is there in the night?
    Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
    User avatar
    Eyes High
    Patience Personified
     
    Posts: 2320
    Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
    Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

    Re: Anyone know Gaelic?

    Postby Lisan Al-Gaib » 13 Apr 2011 17:43

    Omphalos wrote:
    Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:All gaellic texts I read to my researches are translated to english. The only problem I have is to believe it. But I have the secret desire to learn it someday.


    Gaelic astronomy texts? That's a new one on me.


    :lol: Nope, my personal researches about Sub-Roman Britain period. I like the "dark ages" in the history of britain colonization by the saxons, the origin of the arthurian legends and so on. I have The Black Book of Carmethen, Red Book of Hergest and The Triads in english translated from the old welsh.

    It's not only astronomy I'm interest about =)
    The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

    -- The Stolen Journals

    User avatar
    Lisan Al-Gaib
     
    Posts: 418
    Joined: 11 Feb 2008 15:34
    Location: In the Heart of My Religion.

    Re: Anyone know Gaelic?

    Postby SandChigger » 13 Apr 2011 18:38

    Now it all makes sense. :lol:



    (Eyes: the Gaelic books should be turning up in a day or two as I rebuild and reshuffle the various ruins of fallen book towers throughout the house. O great and mighty was that fall... :P )
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: Anyone know Gaelic?

    Postby Omphalos » 13 Apr 2011 20:46

    Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
    Omphalos wrote:
    Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:All gaellic texts I read to my researches are translated to english. The only problem I have is to believe it. But I have the secret desire to learn it someday.


    Gaelic astronomy texts? That's a new one on me.


    :lol: Nope, my personal researches about Sub-Roman Britain period. I like the "dark ages" in the history of britain colonization by the saxons, the origin of the arthurian legends and so on. I have The Black Book of Carmethen, Red Book of Hergest and The Triads in english translated from the old welsh.

    It's not only astronomy I'm interest about =)


    Ah. Thanks.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6572
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: Anyone know Gaelic?

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 20 Apr 2011 02:00

    I... give up.

    I don't understand what is happening. Please, someone explain this to me.
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Anyone know Gaelic?

    Postby Serkanner » 20 Apr 2011 03:06

    A Thing of Eternity wrote:I... give up.

    I don't understand what is happening. Please, someone explain this to me.


    Spam bot.
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

    “There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

    Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    User avatar
    Serkanner
     
    Posts: 2805
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
    Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

    Re: Anyone know Gaelic?

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 20 Apr 2011 13:02

    Serkanner wrote:
    A Thing of Eternity wrote:I... give up.

    I don't understand what is happening. Please, someone explain this to me.


    Spam bot.


    In this thread yes it looked like a bot, but in those others?

    No way that was a bot, that was a spam-person, had to be. Or else it was using some of the most advanced AI we have in development. :wink:
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Previous

    Return to ˲

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 10 guests