• Register
  • Login
  •          

    Stillsuit in Space.

    Image
      Non-dune discussion

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Stillsuit in Space.

    Postby Eyes High » 08 Jul 2011 14:30

    Saw this up over at Worm's. Thought it was neat. Mahnmut bolded the section with the reference to Dune.

    Mahnmut wrote:CAPE CANAVERAL — A textbook-sized kit that can convert urine into drinkable water will accompany NASA's last space shuttle mission this Friday.

    Soldiers already use similar technology to filter out parasites, bacteria, viruses and other contaminants from dirty fluids, including urine, but NASA's adapted baggie system has yet to prove itself in space.

    "This could be a first step toward recapturing the humidity from our sweat, from our breath, even from our urine, and recycling it and making it drinkable," said NASA project scientist and experiment leader Howard Levine, who made a reference to water-recycling "stillsuits" used on a desert world in the science fiction series Dune.

    Astronauts aboard the International Space Station already drink water from a pee-recycling machine delivered several years ago, but it saps power from the orbital laboratory's limited supply. The space-ready water conversion kit, however, won't need an external power source because it relies on a passive property of fluids called forward osmosis.

    NASA's recycler will use a sugary solution injected into a semi-permeable inner bag, which is nested inside an outer bag. Dirty fluid that's pumped into the outer bag will slowly pass through the inner bag and into the sugary solution, leaving behind its contaminants. On Earth, the double-sack system makes about a liter of sports drink-like fluid in four to six hours.

    One of the four astronauts aboard space shuttle Atlantis will test the recycler — with an experimental fluid, not their own urine — toward the end of their 12-day mission, scheduled for launch this Friday at 11:26 a.m. EDT.

    Source
    What fear is there in the night?
    Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
    User avatar
    Eyes High
    Patience Personified
     
    Posts: 2319
    Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
    Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

    Re: Stillsuit in Space.

    Postby Mandy » 08 Jul 2011 14:37

    That is awesome.
    As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
    User avatar
    Mandy
    Cat Herder
     
    Posts: 1700
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18

    Re: Stillsuit in Space.

    Postby DuneFishUK » 08 Jul 2011 16:41

    I want one.

    ...

    :)
    User avatar
    DuneFishUK
     
    Posts: 1987
    Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
    Location: Cool Britannia

    Re: Stillsuit in Space.

    Postby Tleszer » 08 Jul 2011 17:37

    Interesting...
    DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
    User avatar
    Tleszer
     
    Posts: 2161
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:02

    Re: Stillsuit in Space.

    Postby D Pope » 08 Jul 2011 18:11

    That's a great find Eyes, well done!
    Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
    -Omphalos
    D Pope
     
    Posts: 1500
    Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
    Location: Grubville

    Re: Stillsuit in Space.

    Postby Sandwurm88 » 08 Jul 2011 20:14

    I love how its obvious that the astronauts are delaying drinking what used to be their own pee for as long as possible. It's like , they're taking this synthetic stuff...guys, why not try the real thing, huh? I'd probably be squeamish about it too, I wonder if it would still taste a bit off or anything.
    User avatar
    Sandwurm88
    Not Soleman
     
    Posts: 541
    Joined: 24 Jul 2009 10:16

    Re: Stillsuit in Space.

    Postby D Pope » 09 Jul 2011 01:27

    I was thinking that was the reason for the sports drink like suger they've added. Oh, & yeah, not a lot of confidence in the outcome- waiting for the end of the mission to try it.

    Sorry guys, I can't resist...
    Do you think they'll all be floating around waiting to see his expression when he takes that first sip?
    Who could resist uttering that one word;
    "Well?"
    Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
    -Omphalos
    D Pope
     
    Posts: 1500
    Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
    Location: Grubville

    Re: Stillsuit in Space.

    Postby Nekhrun » 09 Jul 2011 07:39

    D Pope wrote:Sorry guys, I can't resist...
    Do you think they'll all be floating around waiting to see his expression when he takes that first sip?
    Who could resist uttering that one word;
    "Well?"


    Can't be any worse than the first guy who drank another animal's milk.
    "If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

    Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

    "Three of my videos have over 100 views."
    "Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
    User avatar
    Nekhrun
    Icelandic Wiener
     
    Posts: 3287
    Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

    Re: Stillsuit in Space.

    Postby trang » 09 Jul 2011 11:00

    Cool find, waytogo Eyes. Hope it works out, be handy item.

    Sad thing is the just fired the last mission for the only space vehicle whe have to get to the space station, or anywhere for that matter. No new space trucks for Nasa, no new space people carriers at all as far as I can see. Last I heard they are going backwards to a pod system like the old missions on a rocket.

    When commercial LEO planes have made trips already, and more advanced and HEO planes are on the way. Why cant we make one too?

    Shooting payloads into space on the top of rockets is fine, been doing that for years, and it works.
    "Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

    Image

    "Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
    But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.."
    User avatar
    trang
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
    Location: Hot Tub Time Machine

    Re: Stillsuit in Space.

    Postby DuneFishUK » 09 Jul 2011 14:22

    D Pope wrote:I was thinking that was the reason for the sports drink like suger they've added. Oh, & yeah, not a lot of confidence in the outcome- waiting for the end of the mission to try it.

    Sorry guys, I can't resist...
    Do you think they'll all be floating around waiting to see his expression when he takes that first sip?
    Who could resist uttering that one word;
    "Well?"

    The first sip is one thing.

    Passing it around for the rest of the crew to try is another. :)
    User avatar
    DuneFishUK
     
    Posts: 1987
    Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
    Location: Cool Britannia

    Re: Stillsuit in Space.

    Postby ULFsurfer » 09 Jul 2011 14:53

    trang wrote:Cool find, waytogo Eyes. Hope it works out, be handy item.

    Sad thing is the just fired the last mission for the only space vehicle whe have to get to the space station, or anywhere for that matter. No new space trucks for Nasa, no new space people carriers at all as far as I can see. Last I heard they are going backwards to a pod system like the old missions on a rocket.

    When commercial LEO planes have made trips already, and more advanced and HEO planes are on the way. Why cant we make one too?

    Shooting payloads into space on the top of rockets is fine, been doing that for years, and it works.


    The idea is that NASA lets commercial industry take over completely in terms of launching payloads and astronauts into orbit. This enables governmental money instead to be spent on developing deep space vehicles and later sending missions. But it's pretty gambly and naive to believe that the companies will be successful in the near future..
    User avatar
    ULFsurfer
     
    Posts: 270
    Joined: 02 Apr 2011 21:20
    Location: Among hills & coal mines

    Re: Stillsuit in Space.

    Postby ULFsurfer » 09 Jul 2011 14:59

    Regarding the stillsuit, I wouldn't mind for a second to drink it. All water we drink now has probably gone through thousands of animals over the years- pigs, geese, dinosaurs...
    User avatar
    ULFsurfer
     
    Posts: 270
    Joined: 02 Apr 2011 21:20
    Location: Among hills & coal mines

    Re: Stillsuit in Space.

    Postby D Pope » 09 Jul 2011 20:53

    DuneFishUK wrote:The first sip is one thing.

    Passing it around for the rest of the crew to try is another. :)

    Please tell me you're a Black Adder fan-
    the episode where he decides to sail off with Tom Baker as his Captain...
    Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
    -Omphalos
    D Pope
     
    Posts: 1500
    Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
    Location: Grubville

    Re: Stillsuit in Space.

    Postby trang » 09 Jul 2011 22:34

    ULFsurfer wrote:
    trang wrote:Cool find, waytogo Eyes. Hope it works out, be handy item.

    Sad thing is the just fired the last mission for the only space vehicle whe have to get to the space station, or anywhere for that matter. No new space trucks for Nasa, no new space people carriers at all as far as I can see. Last I heard they are going backwards to a pod system like the old missions on a rocket.

    When commercial LEO planes have made trips already, and more advanced and HEO planes are on the way. Why cant we make one too?

    Shooting payloads into space on the top of rockets is fine, been doing that for years, and it works.


    The idea is that NASA lets commercial industry take over completely in terms of launching payloads and astronauts into orbit. This enables governmental money instead to be spent on developing deep space vehicles and later sending missions. But it's pretty gambly and naive to believe that the companies will be successful in the near future..



    Commercialization of space is fine, but it has one drawback that NASA or governmental agencies don't, a bottom line/profit margin. Big Corps jamming it up the ass of NASA on payload costs can further slow any progress. NASA operates on a budget not if they have to make a profit, keeps folks focused more on the task, not cutting corners. NASA isn't perfect, and governmental programs for space expansion and exploration arent the perfect model. More folks in the mix is the best thing and keeps it going.

    We should be a lot further along than we are, but I guess with world economy and financial disasters happening all over the globe along with wars, its gonna be a slow process. Maybe medical technology will make a life extension breakthrough when I hit my 60's and allow another hundred on top, so I can hang around and see all the cool shit thats gonna happen.

    Its a spectator sport at this point for me, and I love every minute of it.
    "Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

    Image

    "Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
    But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.."
    User avatar
    trang
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
    Location: Hot Tub Time Machine


    Return to ˲

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests