Sci-Fi/Fantasy book suggestions?

Image
    Non-dune discussion

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6636
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Sci-Fi/Fantasy book suggestions?

Postby Omphalos » 23 Aug 2011 12:45

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:but poesy is acceptable.

Mmmm... iffy. :lol:


Gimmie a break. I'm doing this on an iPod. One finger reaches clear across three keys.

User avatar
Spicelon
Posts: 703
Joined: 30 Mar 2008 23:31

Re: Sci-Fi/Fantasy book suggestions?

Postby Spicelon » 23 Aug 2011 14:11

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Alright, so if you don't want to be beat over the head with the same message over and over and over and over in one book, then stay the fuck away from Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. I liked the first few books, childish though they were, when I was a teen, later grew out of them. But after the first few Goodkind basically went sliding down a slope of pure shit into "preach at people all day" land... very bad stuff. Very repetitive, like more repetitive than KJA's writing.

And to top it off, he's got an enourmous ego.


+1,000,000

I actually made it like 8 books in and finally had enough. I mean, I could have stopped sooner, but for some reason I kept giving it one more chance. There's a reason that series was made into a crappy TV show and Martin's Game of Thrones appeared on HBO, knowhutimsayin?

And yes, Goodkind schlerps the proverbial cock of Ayn Rand's Objectivism. It really isn't pretty. Also, on his "forum" you are not allowed to discuss any other books than his. At all. He's a douche bag.

And William Gibson, as mentioned by Mandy, is awesome. That guy was ahead of his time.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Sci-Fi/Fantasy book suggestions?

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 23 Aug 2011 15:21

Spicelon wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Alright, so if you don't want to be beat over the head with the same message over and over and over and over in one book, then stay the fuck away from Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. I liked the first few books, childish though they were, when I was a teen, later grew out of them. But after the first few Goodkind basically went sliding down a slope of pure shit into "preach at people all day" land... very bad stuff. Very repetitive, like more repetitive than KJA's writing.

And to top it off, he's got an enourmous ego.


+1,000,000

I actually made it like 8 books in and finally had enough. I mean, I could have stopped sooner, but for some reason I kept giving it one more chance. There's a reason that series was made into a crappy TV show and Martin's Game of Thrones appeared on HBO, knowhutimsayin?

And yes, Goodkind schlerps the proverbial cock of Ayn Rand's Objectivism. It really isn't pretty. Also, on his "forum" you are not allowed to discuss any other books than his. At all. He's a douche bag.
.


Also he doesn't like his fantasy books to be referred to as fantasy, he just considers them literature about human perseverance or some BS like that!
Image

User avatar
Spicelon
Posts: 703
Joined: 30 Mar 2008 23:31

Re: Sci-Fi/Fantasy book suggestions?

Postby Spicelon » 23 Aug 2011 18:01

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Spicelon wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Alright, so if you don't want to be beat over the head with the same message over and over and over and over in one book, then stay the fuck away from Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. I liked the first few books, childish though they were, when I was a teen, later grew out of them. But after the first few Goodkind basically went sliding down a slope of pure shit into "preach at people all day" land... very bad stuff. Very repetitive, like more repetitive than KJA's writing.

And to top it off, he's got an enourmous ego.


+1,000,000

I actually made it like 8 books in and finally had enough. I mean, I could have stopped sooner, but for some reason I kept giving it one more chance. There's a reason that series was made into a crappy TV show and Martin's Game of Thrones appeared on HBO, knowhutimsayin?

And yes, Goodkind schlerps the proverbial cock of Ayn Rand's Objectivism. It really isn't pretty. Also, on his "forum" you are not allowed to discuss any other books than his. At all. He's a douche bag.
.


Also he doesn't like his fantasy books to be referred to as fantasy, he just considers them literature about human perseverance or some BS like that!


He's such a wanker!
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18164
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Sci-Fi/Fantasy book suggestions?

Postby Freakzilla » 23 Aug 2011 18:03

I still recommend Julian May's Saga of Pliocene Exile, Intervention and Galactic Milieu series.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
ErasOmnius
Posts: 92
Joined: 05 Feb 2011 12:37

Re: Sci-Fi/Fantasy book suggestions?

Postby ErasOmnius » 24 Aug 2011 04:51

In The World Inside by Robert Silverberg (1972). 400 years from now, all of humanity lives in thousand-storey arcologies. It seems like a perfect combo of a drug and alcohol-imbibing free sex, completely anti-abortion society. Everyone seems completely happy in these million-person skyscrapers...but are they?

TheCurtOne
Posts: 10
Joined: 02 Jun 2011 09:43

Re: Sci-Fi/Fantasy book suggestions?

Postby TheCurtOne » 24 Aug 2011 17:50

ErasOmnius wrote:In The World Inside by Robert Silverberg (1972). 400 years from now, all of humanity lives in thousand-storey arcologies. It seems like a perfect combo of a drug and alcohol-imbibing free sex, completely anti-abortion society. Everyone seems completely happy in these million-person skyscrapers...but are they?


Ah yes, the sexual world of the urban monads. This book - very much in demand way back when, by guys in our middle school, before the internet. Very much a mastur...oops, I mean masterpiece.

Also, read Rainbow's End by Vernor Vinge. One of the most realistic science fiction books ever. Set only a decade in the future, it shows where society is racing in just a few short years. The Gu family is great.


Return to “˲”