Video Games!

Image
    Non-dune discussion

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

User avatar
Ampoliros
Posts: 2518
Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

Re: Video Games!

Postby Ampoliros » 16 Apr 2012 01:36

Just picked up a fun little dungeon crawler called Legend of Grimrock. It's basically like 2nd edition D&D in video game form, even the map looks retro and the hard mode makes you map it yourself.

I got killed by a Mushroom man on level 1. He killed my front line fighters and chased me until my mage and thief made a wrong turn and got cornered.

I came back with a vengance and killed him and all his shitake friends too.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus

User avatar
lotek
Posts: 5735
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

Re: Video Games!

Postby lotek » 16 Apr 2012 07:41

when we played Might and Magic, Gates to Another world on the Megadrive with my brother, we took giant sheets of paper and hand-drew our own grid, then we laid it on the floor and started copying the map on screen directly on this reproduction.
It was awesome and crazy, I think we gave that map away when my brother sold his megadrive later, shame...
Spice is the worm's gonads.

User avatar
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener
Posts: 3290
Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

Re: Video Games!

Postby Nekhrun » 16 Apr 2012 17:41

lotek wrote:you might want to check this out before ;)
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-re ... s-v-skyrim

That's a pretty good site, I use it when I teach Media Literacy.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros

User avatar
Mandy
Cat Herder
Posts: 1700
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18
Contact:

Re: Video Games!

Postby Mandy » 16 Apr 2012 19:32

Freakzilla wrote:
lotek wrote:you might want to check this out before ;)
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-re ... s-v-skyrim


Ah, thanks for the warning!


What warning?

Skyrim is awesome.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Video Games!

Postby Freakzilla » 16 Apr 2012 19:32

Mandy wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
lotek wrote:you might want to check this out before ;)
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-re ... s-v-skyrim


Ah, thanks for the warning!


What warning?

Skyrim is awesome.


For a 10-y-o?
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Mandy
Cat Herder
Posts: 1700
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18
Contact:

Re: Video Games!

Postby Mandy » 16 Apr 2012 19:45

I don't know, do you let him play games where his character kills things? I'm not too far into the game yet, but it doesn't seem that bad.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Video Games!

Postby Freakzilla » 16 Apr 2012 20:29

Mandy wrote:I don't know, do you let him play games where his character kills things? I'm not too far into the game yet, but it doesn't seem that bad.


Yeah, but from what I've read it's a little more adult than that.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Mandy
Cat Herder
Posts: 1700
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18
Contact:

Re: Video Games!

Postby Mandy » 16 Apr 2012 20:48

Freakzilla wrote:
Mandy wrote:I don't know, do you let him play games where his character kills things? I'm not too far into the game yet, but it doesn't seem that bad.


Yeah, but from what I've read it's a little more adult than that.


You mean sex? There's no sex in Skyrim, unless you mod it. If you're talking about the violence, then I dunno... the whole game is crawling through dungeons killing things, so yeah it's violent. If you want to see it for yourself there are tons of game play videos on youtube. Or you could start him off on Morrowind. Not as graphically violent, and probably less than $20.



I wish I had the PC version so I could use the Macho dragon mod!
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Video Games!

Postby Freakzilla » 16 Apr 2012 20:58

Cool, Mandy. Thanks for the info.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
lotek
Posts: 5735
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

Re: Video Games!

Postby lotek » 17 Apr 2012 06:29

I just found out about that commonsense site, but if you Nek' vouch for it I'll use it more often when people ask me about games I don't know.
Spice is the worm's gonads.

User avatar
ULFsurfer
Posts: 270
Joined: 02 Apr 2011 21:20
Location: Among hills & coal mines

Re: Video Games!

Postby ULFsurfer » 23 Apr 2012 08:46


User avatar
lotek
Posts: 5735
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

Re: Video Games!

Postby lotek » 23 Apr 2012 08:55

Mandy wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:What warning?




the PEGI rating ^^
Image

I'm not judging the morality/quality of the game contents, just pointing out that when in doubt about a game, the PEGI rating is a good way to be on the safe side.
(cause yes it's awesome, even if I prefer more modern/sci fi settings formy rpgs.)

I remember once in a shop, couple of teens talking about games, one points a pegi18 to his mate saying "that one's really cool, you tried it?"
His friend answers "nah, it's over 18 only"
The other one laughs "I haven't got one single game that's not for over 18, my parents are completely clueless they have no idea"

That warning :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Video Games!

Postby Freakzilla » 23 Apr 2012 11:44

No, I appreciate any input, really.

I'm not really worried about it though, because his PS3 is on the TV in the living room, so I see what he plays.

I'm still on Apache Assault. I was about to send it back to Game Fly because I thought it was only one player. I said it should have one person flying and the other as the gunner, like the real AH-64. Low and behold... it does!

I may end up keeping this one... if I can figure out how to launch the Hellfire missles. :think:
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2831
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: Video Games!

Postby Serkanner » 23 Apr 2012 12:09

Freakzilla wrote:No, I appreciate any input, really.

I'm not really worried about it though, because his PS3 is on the TV in the living room, so I see what he plays.

I'm still on Apache Assault. I was about to send it back to Game Fly because I thought it was only one player. I said it should have one person flying and the other as the gunner, like the real AH-64. Low and behold... it does!

I may end up keeping this one... if I can figure out how to launch the Hellfire missles. :think:


press the button:

"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

User avatar
Mandy
Cat Herder
Posts: 1700
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18
Contact:

Re: Video Games!

Postby Mandy » 23 Apr 2012 16:07

I was an adventurer once, and then I took an arrow to the knee.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Video Games!

Postby Freakzilla » 23 Apr 2012 18:55

Damnit, Apache Assault isn't for sale, WTF?
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
SandRider
Watermaster
Posts: 6163
Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
Location: In the back of your mind. Always.
Contact:

Re: Video Games!

Postby SandRider » 23 Apr 2012 21:30

first off, a recap for all you other sumbitches:
summer of 2008 I blew out my fucking back on top of a
wind turbine in South Texas; I had always been the toughest
motherfucker I knew, and it took a long time to admit that
my Day was Over ... and that I was getting Old;

for several months in between a shitload of surgeries,
I was essentially house-bound, which pissed me off to
No End; I had a little laptop I had used at work, and
a dial-up connection, and my youngest son showed up one
day with another big-ass monitor and some "games" to
help me "pass the time" ...

the first was "Call of Duty", the WWII shooter - sumbitch
thought I was a LOT older than I really am and would be
"intrigued" by the "history" & etc ... & it was alright,
but killin' Nazis was more my Uncle Bill's thing ...

he also loaded up "Grand Theft Auto III" & "Postal 2"...

I've posted about this before, after playing these games
and getting involved in using the "internet" for "research",
I discovered the "mods" & such ... I enjoyed for quite awhile
the ability to "re-design" and add-to these games ...

anyway, the point of this post {& there is one, I assure you),
is that now, several years later, I've played the fuck out of
Postal & GTA, and tried a number of others, and I'm still not
finding what I'm looking for ...

what I want is:
1) an open-ended, choice-laden virtual world, like Postal 2 ...
(for the record, I once completed the first 3 days WITHOUT
killing anybody ....)
2) SLOW, contemplative game-play - I enjoyed Call of Duty only
after I found all the cheat codes and could slow the game down
enough to enjoy it ... that's a bitch about Postal & GTA, too ...
I ain't no hopped-up tweaker with a twitch-mouse ... I like
turn-based strategy, but all the stuff nowadays seems to be
"real-time" ... I need time to drink a tall glass of bourbon
on ice and have a smoke before making decisions ...
3) the Sims fucking SUCKED, anyone recommended the fucking
Sims gets a crysknife in the eye ...

I want a first-person game of exploration & choices, with the
ability of driving various vehicles without having to jack them;
a game that is not primarily based on bloodshed or cat-like
reflexes ..

also, I have taken a look at Second Life, and that shit seems
WAAAYYY to complicated ... & I am running 64-bit Windows, so
suggestions for software that is only available on Xbox &etc
will result in crysknife to eye(s) ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Video Games!

Postby inhuien » 24 Apr 2012 03:00

Try the 1st two X-Com games http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM.
Image

User avatar
Ampoliros
Posts: 2518
Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

Re: Video Games!

Postby Ampoliros » 24 Apr 2012 09:25

its real time, but if your PC runs XP, look up System Shock 2 and Elder Scrolls: Morrowind.

If it's more up to date, then check out Mount & Blade. Its a slow (as in Real Time) open ended strat game, with endless amounts of modding. Wouldn't doubt there would be a civil war mod somewhere.

There's always Civilization. Try 4, its the best, 5 is flashy, but with half as much depth. It's turn based which would allow you to sip your burbon between moving armies and upgrading crossbowmen into apache helicopters. Hard pressed to think of a better turn based game.

Sins of a Solar Empire is another great, but its also real time. You will all be one with the Advent.


Now of course if you have the mix of time and the desire to relentlessly mock shitheels then you could try an MMO. Warning, its full of shitheels. Truly worthless people.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus

User avatar
lotek
Posts: 5735
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

Re: Video Games!

Postby lotek » 24 Apr 2012 12:53

SandRider wrote:3) the Sims fucking SUCKED, anyone recommended the fucking
Sims gets a crysknife in the eye ...



so I guess that's not you then
http://trippytexan.livejournal.com/

(gotta get used to one sided vision now...)
Spice is the worm's gonads.

User avatar
Mandy
Cat Herder
Posts: 1700
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18
Contact:

Re: Video Games!

Postby Mandy » 24 Apr 2012 14:14

It's not turn based, but Dragon Age: Origins is almost as good as Elder Scrolls. Once you get the hang of combat it's loads of fun.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Video Games!

Postby Freakzilla » 24 Apr 2012 14:21

Ampoliros wrote:There's always Civilization. Try 4, ...


Civ 4 has just been added to unlimited PC play at GF! :dance:
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1988
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Re: Video Games!

Postby DuneFishUK » 02 May 2012 16:26


The fuck? :?

Black Ops 1 was a strong game, and one of it's strengths was the cool Cold War setting (although it was far from a historical game).. now the sequel is set in 2025?

Full marks for changing COD (it needs it), but doing a full-on scifi setting is bollocks.

User avatar
trang
Posts: 1223
Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
Location: Hot Tub Time Machine
Contact:

Re: Video Games!

Postby trang » 08 May 2012 10:27

SandRider wrote:first off, a recap for all you other sumbitches:
summer of 2008 I blew out my fucking back on top of a
wind turbine in South Texas; I had always been the toughest
motherfucker I knew, and it took a long time to admit that
my Day was Over ... and that I was getting Old;

for several months in between a shitload of surgeries,
I was essentially house-bound, which pissed me off to
No End; I had a little laptop I had used at work, and
a dial-up connection, and my youngest son showed up one
day with another big-ass monitor and some "games" to
help me "pass the time" ...

the first was "Call of Duty", the WWII shooter - sumbitch
thought I was a LOT older than I really am and would be
"intrigued" by the "history" & etc ... & it was alright,
but killin' Nazis was more my Uncle Bill's thing ...

he also loaded up "Grand Theft Auto III" & "Postal 2"...

I've posted about this before, after playing these games
and getting involved in using the "internet" for "research",
I discovered the "mods" & such ... I enjoyed for quite awhile
the ability to "re-design" and add-to these games ...

anyway, the point of this post {& there is one, I assure you),
is that now, several years later, I've played the fuck out of
Postal & GTA, and tried a number of others, and I'm still not
finding what I'm looking for ...

what I want is:
1) an open-ended, choice-laden virtual world, like Postal 2 ...
(for the record, I once completed the first 3 days WITHOUT
killing anybody ....)
2) SLOW, contemplative game-play - I enjoyed Call of Duty only
after I found all the cheat codes and could slow the game down
enough to enjoy it ... that's a bitch about Postal & GTA, too ...
I ain't no hopped-up tweaker with a twitch-mouse ... I like
turn-based strategy, but all the stuff nowadays seems to be
"real-time" ... I need time to drink a tall glass of bourbon
on ice and have a smoke before making decisions ...
3) the Sims fucking SUCKED, anyone recommended the fucking
Sims gets a crysknife in the eye ...

I want a first-person game of exploration & choices, with the
ability of driving various vehicles without having to jack them;
a game that is not primarily based on bloodshed or cat-like
reflexes ..

also, I have taken a look at Second Life, and that shit seems
WAAAYYY to complicated ... & I am running 64-bit Windows, so
suggestions for software that is only available on Xbox &etc
will result in crysknife to eye(s) ....


Do you want all this in one game or multiple? in one game would be tough, Your crossing FP shooters and Real time strategy games.

There was one a while back called Battlefield 1942, it had both elements and was turn based.

Fallout (new york, Las Vegas, etc) work similar but not exactly.

Starcraft and Star Craft 2, Diablo series.

Elderscrolls: Oblivion or Skyrim are the most open ended games out there.

Have you tried any online games?
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Image

User avatar
lotek
Posts: 5735
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

Re: Video Games!

Postby lotek » 08 May 2012 11:15

just traded Dead Island and Batman Arkham City for Sniper Elite V2.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGzyKHl7Geo&feature=fvst[/youtube]
kill cams


I played the v1 on the PS2 and it was the only good sniper game there was on the market. Most games only have them as an option, and usually it's just a side choice, not as effective as the classic assault set up.


Stay clear of Sniper Ghost Warrior all reviews say it's shit, and usually when everyone agrees it's true (at least for video games ^^)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyaafnlVh44&feature=fvst[/youtube]
Spice is the worm's gonads.


Return to “˲”