• Register
  • Login
  •          

    KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Image
      Non-dune discussion

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby Sandwurm88 » 12 Feb 2012 21:56

    Well, it looks like KJA is at it again, this time with a band that people actually know...Rush...
    Just check this out, and I'm sure y'all will be flooding the comments section, which is mostly unsuspecting Rush fans being like, "Dude, this novelization of the new Rush album is the coolest thing ever! It's never been done before! It's like the next The Wall/Tommy/Sgt. Pepper's!! I might have to read some of this guy Kevin J. Anderson's books now in anticipation of the new album!...."

    The info is all here. It's not really like we didn't all see this coming, KJA's been talking about him and Neil's "relationship" for a while....

    http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2012/02/09/2990/Author-Kevin-J.-Anderson-to-write-novelization-of-Rushs-upcoming-Clockwork-Angels-album
    User avatar
    Sandwurm88
    Not Soleman
     
    Posts: 541
    Joined: 24 Jul 2009 10:16

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby Nekhrun » 12 Feb 2012 22:47

    Rush sucks so it's only fitting.
    "If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

    Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

    "Three of my videos have over 100 views."
    "Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
    User avatar
    Nekhrun
    Icelandic Wiener
     
    Posts: 3287
    Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby JustSomeGuy » 12 Feb 2012 23:34

    I don't know anything about Rush, but if they're willing to work with Mr. Anderson, well, then... they must suck, right?
    I bring nothing to the table.
    User avatar
    JustSomeGuy
     
    Posts: 791
    Joined: 26 Feb 2011 03:02

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby JustSomeGuy » 12 Feb 2012 23:35

    I feel all worked up now...
    I bring nothing to the table.
    User avatar
    JustSomeGuy
     
    Posts: 791
    Joined: 26 Feb 2011 03:02

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby JustSomeGuy » 12 Feb 2012 23:35

    :puke:
    I bring nothing to the table.
    User avatar
    JustSomeGuy
     
    Posts: 791
    Joined: 26 Feb 2011 03:02

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby JustSomeGuy » 12 Feb 2012 23:37

    There should be an angry vomit smiley.
    I bring nothing to the table.
    User avatar
    JustSomeGuy
     
    Posts: 791
    Joined: 26 Feb 2011 03:02

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby Serkanner » 13 Feb 2012 06:02

    Just curious ... but is it really necessary to post four one sentence posts in a row?
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

    “There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

    Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    User avatar
    Serkanner
     
    Posts: 2801
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
    Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby JustSomeGuy » 13 Feb 2012 08:06

    Serkanner wrote:Just curious ... but is it really necessary to post four one sentence posts in a row?


    No, they just kind of came to me. I'm a horrible person, I know.
    I bring nothing to the table.
    User avatar
    JustSomeGuy
     
    Posts: 791
    Joined: 26 Feb 2011 03:02

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby lotek » 13 Feb 2012 08:19

    Spice is the worm's gonads.
    User avatar
    lotek
     
    Posts: 5734
    Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby Serkanner » 13 Feb 2012 08:28

    JustSomeGuy wrote:I'm a horrible person, I know.


    Yeah, and what are going to do about it? It's not a valid excuse for horrible behaviour.
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

    “There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

    Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    User avatar
    Serkanner
     
    Posts: 2801
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
    Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby Mandy » 13 Feb 2012 11:59

    "Damn, this rock band's got me all fired up about literature!"

    :lol:
    As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
    User avatar
    Mandy
    Cat Herder
     
    Posts: 1700
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby ErasOmnius » 13 Feb 2012 13:28

    I am very sad for Rush, and for Neal Peart. They probably don't know what they are getting themselves into. I should probably send them a copy of Winds, so they know of the myriad of crap that Kevin Anderson has written. Then Rush will "Fly By Night" away from KJA and BH.
    User avatar
    ErasOmnius
     
    Posts: 92
    Joined: 05 Feb 2011 12:37

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby Omphalos » 13 Feb 2012 13:37

    ErasOmnius wrote:I am very sad for Rush, and for Neal Peart. They probably don't know what they are getting themselves into. I should probably send them a copy of Winds, so they know of the myriad of crap that Kevin Anderson has written. Then Rush will "Fly By Night" away from KJA and BH.


    Don't be fooled by your feelings for that band. Peart and Anderson have been groping one another for years now. He's got to be aware of what Anderson is all about.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6569
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby DuneFishUK » 13 Feb 2012 14:36

    I'm in favour of anything that raises Kevin J. Anderson's profile. :twisted:
    User avatar
    DuneFishUK
     
    Posts: 1987
    Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
    Location: Cool Britannia

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby lotek » 13 Feb 2012 15:16

    DuneFishUK wrote:I'm in favour of anything that raises Kevin J. Anderson's profile. :twisted:


    aren't we all ?
    Spice is the worm's gonads.
    User avatar
    lotek
     
    Posts: 5734
    Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby trang » 13 Feb 2012 15:22

    I Like Rush quite a bit, hate KJA. He blows his horn so often you would think he was a contortionist by trade. I'm sure the new Rush CD will be good, I'm also sure whatever KJA writes will suck on every level.
    "Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

    Image

    "Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
    But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.."
    User avatar
    trang
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
    Location: Hot Tub Time Machine

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby inhuien » 13 Feb 2012 18:16

    Oh shite...
    Image
    User avatar
    inhuien
     
    Posts: 3629
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
    Location: right here as in not (all) there

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby Omphalos » 13 Feb 2012 18:45

    I wonder if the Cogiters are going to get a song written about them?
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6569
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby Hunchback Jack » 13 Feb 2012 19:12

    I think this announcement is utterly meaningless. The album will stand on its own, liked or hated by Rush fans, and the novel will be utterly forgotten in a year or two (except perhaps as a historical curiosity - "Hey Clockwork Angels, now that was a great album" "Yeah, but what was the deal with that crap book that came with it? Whatever.")

    It's hard to think that there's *that* much overlap between the fan bases for this to be beneficial in any real way.

    HBJ
    "The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
    - Carl Sagan

    I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
    - Iain Banks
    User avatar
    Hunchback Jack
     
    Posts: 1980
    Joined: 30 May 2008 15:02
    Location: California, USA

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby inhuien » 13 Feb 2012 19:25

    Omphalos wrote:I wonder if the Cogiters are going to get a song written about them?

    You must have heard 2112.
    Image
    User avatar
    inhuien
     
    Posts: 3629
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
    Location: right here as in not (all) there

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby JustSomeGuy » 13 Feb 2012 19:28

    I read this (over on chiggerblog) about the Roswell Six/ Terra Incognita project:

    http://chiggerblog.hairyticksofdune.net/blog/?p=551
    Brian Herbert says:
    June 8, 2009 at 5:53 am
    I listened to those sample tracks. It sounds like the kind of music that they used in movies that were knock-offs of Beastmaster. Or like 80′s teen movies when they needed something for an action montage. Like when the kids from Fame: The TV Show got all bent out of shape over been dissed by the kids from the rival dance school, so they went back and really put their noses to the grind-stone. That kind of montage.


    It looks like thekja had nothing to do with the actual music on this one- he's just writing a story to go along with the album. Well, you Rush fans can be thankful for that. Unless you're also fans of Kevin. J. Anderson. Morons (not the Rush fans, necessarily, just the Anderson fans).
    I bring nothing to the table.
    User avatar
    JustSomeGuy
     
    Posts: 791
    Joined: 26 Feb 2011 03:02

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby Omphalos » 13 Feb 2012 19:57

    JustSomeGuy wrote:I read this (over on chiggerblog) about the Roswell Six/ Terra Incognita project:

    http://chiggerblog.hairyticksofdune.net/blog/?p=551
    Brian Herbert says:
    June 8, 2009 at 5:53 am
    I listened to those sample tracks. It sounds like the kind of music that they used in movies that were knock-offs of Beastmaster. Or like 80′s teen movies when they needed something for an action montage. Like when the kids from Fame: The TV Show got all bent out of shape over been dissed by the kids from the rival dance school, so they went back and really put their noses to the grind-stone. That kind of montage.


    It looks like thekja had nothing to do with the actual music on this one- he's just writing a story to go along with the album. Well, you Rush fans can be thankful for that. Unless you're also fans of Kevin. J. Anderson. Morons (not the Rush fans, necessarily, just the Anderson fans).


    That Brian Herbert. He's hysterical, ain't he? :wink:
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6569
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby JustSomeGuy » 13 Feb 2012 20:01

    :lol:
    I bring nothing to the table.
    User avatar
    JustSomeGuy
     
    Posts: 791
    Joined: 26 Feb 2011 03:02

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby Ampoliros » 13 Feb 2012 23:20

    I see...two houses of orthodoxy
    I see...plans within plans...
    I see...us getting a lot more support from half of the Rush community soon when they read that hack's shit.
    Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
    User avatar
    Ampoliros
     
    Posts: 2516
    Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
    Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

    Re: KJA's Latest Kewl Music/Book Tie-Ins

    Postby lotek » 14 Feb 2012 08:41

    Omphalos wrote:
    JustSomeGuy wrote:I read this (over on chiggerblog) about the Roswell Six/ Terra Incognita project:

    http://chiggerblog.hairyticksofdune.net/blog/?p=551
    Brian Herbert says:
    June 8, 2009 at 5:53 am
    I listened to those sample tracks. It sounds like the kind of music that they used in movies that were knock-offs of Beastmaster. Or like 80′s teen movies when they needed something for an action montage. Like when the kids from Fame: The TV Show got all bent out of shape over been dissed by the kids from the rival dance school, so they went back and really put their noses to the grind-stone. That kind of montage.


    It looks like thekja had nothing to do with the actual music on this one- he's just writing a story to go along with the album. Well, you Rush fans can be thankful for that. Unless you're also fans of Kevin. J. Anderson. Morons (not the Rush fans, necessarily, just the Anderson fans).





    That Brian Herbert. He's hysterical, ain't he? :wink:


    I just love how the poor sod thinks he's got such an insight in popular culture...
    Sorry pal, Peter Griffin beat you to it !

    Ampoliros wrote:I see...two houses of orthodoxy
    I see...plans within plans...
    I see...us getting a lot more support from half of the Rush community soon when they read that hack's shit.


    Don't know about Rush, I just hope it's not Asia.
    But anyone with half a brain and a fondness for anything would reel at the thought of that talentless fool ruining it because the twat probably thinks that if everything is shit his own stuff will look better.

    Yes I believe that's his plan, insidiously waterworm his way in every cool thing in the world to dumb down culture, so then he can have the credit he deserves (which he already gets though, that's irony for you)
    Spice is the worm's gonads.
    User avatar
    lotek
     
    Posts: 5734
    Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

    Next

    Return to ˲

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests