• Register
  • Login
  •          

    What are you reading?

    Image
      Non-dune discussion

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby SadisticCynic » 15 Aug 2017 07:05

    Yes, you have but I had forgotten about it!

    Very cool to see videos of Octavia speaking. She seems like one of those people it would be awesome to have known.

    I finished the Parable novels. Brutal reading, but I think probably the best of what I've read so far. Kindred is still on the list though, and it's apparently the famous one.


    Now I have a copy of Erewhon by Samuel Butler. I remember Chig talking about this one, way back in ye olden dayes.
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    User avatar
    SadisticCynic
     
    Posts: 2004
    Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
    Location: In Time or in Space?

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby Omphalos » 22 Aug 2017 10:51

    There's a Dune connection with that one too. Someone theorized that is where the name in the Butlerian Jihad came from.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6572
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby SadisticCynic » 17 Sep 2017 18:23

    Omphalos wrote:There's a Dune connection with that one too. Someone theorized that is where the name in the Butlerian Jihad came from.


    I think that makes a lot of sense. The whole sections titled The Book of the Machines are pretty great, covering transhumanism, A.I., consciousness, "the extended phenotype" and a whole list of other very modern topics all the way back in 1872. That said apart from the really philosophical parts I found it a little dull plot wise. I might have missed some connections though; there's an awful lot of nice social commentary some of which is definitely ironic, but I expect some of it fits the time when the novel was written better.

    After that I've started reading The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.


    I finished A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn and On Anarchism by Noam Chomsky, and now I've started No Is Not Enough by Klein. On a real anti-establishment streak, I guess.
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    User avatar
    SadisticCynic
     
    Posts: 2004
    Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
    Location: In Time or in Space?

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby Omphalos » 18 Sep 2017 15:18

    SadisticCynic wrote:
    Omphalos wrote:There's a Dune connection with that one too. Someone theorized that is where the name in the Butlerian Jihad came from.


    I think that makes a lot of sense. The whole sections titled The Book of the Machines are pretty great, covering transhumanism, A.I., consciousness, "the extended phenotype" and a whole list of other very modern topics all the way back in 1872. That said apart from the really philosophical parts I found it a little dull plot wise. I might have missed some connections though; there's an awful lot of nice social commentary some of which is definitely ironic, but I expect some of it fits the time when the novel was written better.

    After that I've started reading The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.


    I finished A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn and On Anarchism by Noam Chomsky, and now I've started No Is Not Enough by Klein. On a real anti-establishment streak, I guess.


    Most utopian novels are boring as hell, IMHO.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6572
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby Serkanner » 19 Sep 2017 16:53

    I have started my second reading of "A song of ice and fire". Which is a bit painful because it is a series I shared, both reading and watching, very closely with Laura, my ex, but it is worth it.
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

    “There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

    Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    User avatar
    Serkanner
     
    Posts: 2805
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
    Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby Omphalos » 22 Sep 2017 09:17

    Serkanner wrote:I have started my second reading of "A song of ice and fire". Which is a bit painful because it is a series I shared, both reading and watching, very closely with Laura, my ex, but it is worth it.


    Doorstopper-sized fantasy novels have always put me off, but I want to read this series someday.

    Maybe when I am retired and have the attention span to get through it.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6572
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby SadisticCynic » 25 Sep 2017 17:21

    Omphalos wrote:Maybe when I am retired and have the attention span to get through it.


    Careful, those two things may be mutually exclusive! :shock:
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    User avatar
    SadisticCynic
     
    Posts: 2004
    Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
    Location: In Time or in Space?

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby Omphalos » 26 Sep 2017 09:27

    SadisticCynic wrote:
    Omphalos wrote:Maybe when I am retired and have the attention span to get through it.


    Careful, those two things may be mutually exclusive! :shock:


    Ill still have my mind for at least a few years after I retire. I hope.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6572
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby SadisticCynic » 24 Oct 2017 16:40

    Recently got through Letters to a Young Contrarian by Christopher Hitchens and Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell. Both great reads, but I wish I'd come across the Hitchens one much earlier in life.
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    User avatar
    SadisticCynic
     
    Posts: 2004
    Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
    Location: In Time or in Space?

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby Hunchback Jack » 24 Oct 2017 21:16

    Homage to Catalonia is fantastic. One of the best account of war in the Twentieth Century, in my opinion.

    I'm currently reading Sleeping Beauties by Stephen and Owen King. I'm about half-way through. An interesting premise, but very slow. There are repetitive scenes of more-or less the same thing happening to different characters, without expanding on the underlying ideas. I know it easy to say "it needs a better editor", but ... it needs a better editor.

    Omph, I see you recently read End of Watch. Of the three books in that trilogy, that's probably the weakest. The other two don't have any supernatural element to them, either, and they are the better for it.

    HBJ
    "The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
    - Carl Sagan

    I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
    - Iain Banks
    User avatar
    Hunchback Jack
     
    Posts: 1982
    Joined: 30 May 2008 15:02
    Location: California, USA

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby distrans » 07 Dec 2017 11:46

    i though Gibson fell off noticeable after the sprawl trilogy
    quit reading him a a bit after iduro

    ran into a copy of 'pattern recognition' and am finding it quite good
    hes getting the verbose just right

    admittedly the protagonist suffers an advanced case of what I got

    allergic response to marketing
    distrans
     
    Posts: 201
    Joined: 04 Jan 2013 01:06

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby SadisticCynic » 08 Dec 2017 15:20

    distrans wrote:i though Gibson fell off noticeable after the sprawl trilogy
    quit reading him a a bit after iduro

    ran into a copy of 'pattern recognition' and am finding it quite good
    hes getting the verbose just right

    admittedly the protagonist suffers an advanced case of what I got

    allergic response to marketing


    I'd say after Sprawl, Blue Ant is my favourite work of Gibson's. The allergy to marketing really resonated with me.
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    User avatar
    SadisticCynic
     
    Posts: 2004
    Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
    Location: In Time or in Space?

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby Serkanner » 09 Dec 2017 04:49

    Cloud Atlas
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

    “There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

    Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    User avatar
    Serkanner
     
    Posts: 2805
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
    Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby SadisticCynic » 09 Dec 2017 18:54

    Got through a few nice science books: Climbing Mount Improbable and The Language Instinct by Dawkins and Steven Pinker respectively. Possibly a little dated but still great reads. In particular I've never tried anything regarding Chomskyian linguistics. Neat.

    Now I'm on Philosophical Letters by Voltaire (great writer!) and Anathem by Stephenson.
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    User avatar
    SadisticCynic
     
    Posts: 2004
    Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
    Location: In Time or in Space?

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby Omphalos » 11 Dec 2017 11:55

    Serkanner wrote:Cloud Atlas


    I just saw that movie. I enjoyed it. I will need to go back and watch it again though. I have a feeling it is one of those flicks that gets better each time it's watched.

    Felt like a move Robin Williams should have been in.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6572
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: What are you reading?

    Postby Serkanner » 11 Dec 2017 16:45

    Omphalos wrote:
    Serkanner wrote:Cloud Atlas


    I just saw that movie. I enjoyed it. I will need to go back and watch it again though. I have a feeling it is one of those flicks that gets better each time it's watched.

    Felt like a move Robin Williams should have been in.


    As usual the book is better than the movie.
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

    “There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

    Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    User avatar
    Serkanner
     
    Posts: 2805
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
    Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

    Previous

    Return to ˲

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests