• Register
  • Login
  •          

    2.5 Million Planets

    Image
      Post your own creative writing

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Re: 2.5 Million Planets

    Postby Freakzilla » 16 Aug 2012 07:36

    Visigoth wrote:I don't place to much confidence in my math, or comprehension, but the way AppendixII of Dune reads to me:
    At that time in the Universe there were 13,333,333 Worlds in the Landsraad.

    Does anyone knows the year of the riots or the year the C.E.T. took place.

    There was a timeline somewhere here:-)


    The C.E.T seems to have been very soon, if not immediately after the Butlerian Jihad.

    JIHAD, BUTLERIAN: (see also Great Revolt) -- the crusade against computers,
    thinking machines, and conscious robots begun in 201 B.G. and concluded in 108
    B.G.
    Its chief commandment remains in the O.C. Bible as "Thou shalt not make a
    machine in the likeness of a human mind."
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18055
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Re: Re:2.5 Million Planets

    Postby SandChigger » 18 Dec 2012 04:50

    Visigoth wrote:13,333,333 Worlds in the Landsraad League.

    Sorry, but no:
    Historians estimate the riots took eighty million lives. That works out to about six thousand for each world then in the Landsraad League.

    80,000,000 / 6,000 = 13,333.33...

    Human space was still a relatively small part of the galaxy, even after 11,000 years. (I prefer the think that this was because there was a long period of no FTL travel but that spacefolding was discovered before the Jihad, allowing for more rapid expansion and the formation of things like the Imperium and the Landsraad. ;) )
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: 2.5 Million Planets

    Postby chuck_boris » 22 Dec 2012 05:38

    so, 108 years after the end of the Jihad, the Guild took monopoly over space travel. And, given the fact that the event was marked as the 0 point of the new counting system, I guess it was a bigger deal than even the Butlerian Jihad itself. The only reason I can think of being the exponential growth in the number of colonised planets.


    P.S. do you ever wonder if every time someone posts the word 'Jihad' on the web some intelligence agency checks it out to see if they are terrorists planning an attack? :D
    chuck_boris
     
    Posts: 6
    Joined: 13 May 2012 13:32

    Re: 2.5 Million Planets

    Postby lotek » 22 Dec 2012 10:53

    I'm actually working under cover for the CIA.

    Oops.
    Spice is the worm's gonads.
    User avatar
    lotek
     
    Posts: 5734
    Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

    Re: Re:2.5 Million Planets

    Postby Visigoth » 24 Dec 2012 02:05

    SandChigger wrote:
    Visigoth wrote:13,333,333 Worlds in the Landsraad League.

    Sorry, but no:
    Historians estimate the riots took eighty million lives. That works out to about six thousand for each world then in the Landsraad League.

    80,000,000 / 6,000 = 13,333.33...

    Human space was still a relatively small part of the galaxy, even after 11,000 years. (I prefer the think that this was because there was a long period of no FTL travel but that spacefolding was discovered before the Jihad, allowing for more rapid expansion and the formation of things like the Imperium and the Landsraad. ;) )


    O.k.
    Timelines are fun to me, but I get dizzy thinking about them. Where does the 2.5 million # fits in the timeline?
    ImageImageImage
    User avatar
    Visigoth
     
    Posts: 114
    Joined: 12 May 2011 03:23

    Re: 2.5 Million Planets

    Postby Visigoth » 24 Dec 2012 02:08

    lotek wrote:I'm actually working under cover for the CIA.

    Oops.



    Now you will have to kill us all! But since you smoke a spliff everyday, I'm not counting on it. And being a Frank, you probably lost your axe.
    ImageImageImage
    User avatar
    Visigoth
     
    Posts: 114
    Joined: 12 May 2011 03:23

    Re: Re:2.5 Million Planets

    Postby inhuien » 04 Jan 2013 11:13

    Visigoth wrote:
    SandChigger wrote:
    Visigoth wrote:13,333,333 Worlds in the Landsraad League.

    Sorry, but no:
    Historians estimate the riots took eighty million lives. That works out to about six thousand for each world then in the Landsraad League.

    80,000,000 / 6,000 = 13,333.33...

    Human space was still a relatively small part of the galaxy, even after 11,000 years. (I prefer the think that this was because there was a long period of no FTL travel but that spacefolding was discovered before the Jihad, allowing for more rapid expansion and the formation of things like the Imperium and the Landsraad. ;) )


    O.k.
    Timelines are fun to me, but I get dizzy thinking about them. Where does the 2.5 million # fits in the timeline?

    Read the 1st post.
    Image
    User avatar
    inhuien
     
    Posts: 3629
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
    Location: right here as in not (all) there

    Re: Re:2.5 Million Planets

    Postby Visigoth » 07 Jan 2013 23:39

    inhuien wrote:
    Visigoth wrote:
    SandChigger wrote:
    Visigoth wrote:13,333,333 Worlds in the Landsraad League.

    Sorry, but no:
    Historians estimate the riots took eighty million lives. That works out to about six thousand for each world then in the Landsraad League.

    80,000,000 / 6,000 = 13,333.33...

    Human space was still a relatively small part of the galaxy, even after 11,000 years. (I prefer the think that this was because there was a long period of no FTL travel but that spacefolding was discovered before the Jihad, allowing for more rapid expansion and the formation of things like the Imperium and the Landsraad. ;) )


    O.k.
    Timelines are fun to me, but I get dizzy thinking about them. Where does the 2.5 million # fits in the timeline?

    Read the 1st post.

    Right! :doh:
    ImageImageImage
    User avatar
    Visigoth
     
    Posts: 114
    Joined: 12 May 2011 03:23

    Re: 2.5 Million Planets

    Postby leagued » 18 Feb 2013 19:58

    Why the assumption that the Empire doubled in size under Leto II from Paul's time? Isn't that contrary to Leto's plan to keep humanity cooped up and confined until they could burst forth in the Scattering?
    I don't question the 2.5 million calculation (seems reasonable, though 6 beefy women in a square meter could get really crowded). I think it makes more sense to question the 1 million under Paul; if all we're basing that on is what the HM called the Old Empire then that's pretty flimsy. I think that was just a name that had stuck with them because it sounded good. There are enough quotes in the thread already showing why it wasn't accurate.
    But I do disagree with the prevailing opinion on this thread that Leto II expanded the Old Empire by any great amount.
    LeagueD
    User avatar
    leagued
     
    Posts: 165
    Joined: 31 Jul 2008 09:25
    Location: Singapore

    Previous

    Return to ˲

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

    cron