• Register
  • Login
  •          

    Peter Berg quits!

    Image
      Can't find the appropriate forum for your topic? Post it here!

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Re: Peter Berg quits!

    Postby Futar » 05 Nov 2009 20:11

    A Thing of Eternity wrote:
    Omphalos wrote:
    A Thing of Eternity wrote:I think the guy from District 9 would rock doing Dune.


    That's a lotta movie for a newbie.


    I don't know if that makes a difference really. Maybe I'm not totally informed on what all a director does in a film, but we've seen that he can get good acting out of people, and I don't know how much input he had on the CGI and cinamatography but District 9 was pretty fantastic in those regards. What else is there really? Scene choice and maybe a little influence on script?

    I'd take a newbie who's done good work thus far, and most importantly has an obvious respect for the genre as serious fiction (not muscular adventure pulp) over a seasoned idiot any day of the week!

    EDIT: Of course, he'll need a good script to start with. Dune has so much internal dialogue that if the script is weak the whole thing is toast right out the gates.


    i agree in thinking he did well with District 9. however i dont think he would really even consider Dune for very long. my understanding is that he is sticking to original science fiction. if he were to go back and do somebody elses story my guess would be Halo as he was the guy slated to direct until the project went rather haywire. i would be interested in seeing an adaptation completed by him but i have a feeling he would turn it down if offered.
    Futar
     
    Posts: 42
    Joined: 17 Sep 2009 19:11

    Re: Peter Berg quits!

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 05 Nov 2009 20:41

    Futar wrote:
    A Thing of Eternity wrote:
    Omphalos wrote:
    A Thing of Eternity wrote:I think the guy from District 9 would rock doing Dune.


    That's a lotta movie for a newbie.


    I don't know if that makes a difference really. Maybe I'm not totally informed on what all a director does in a film, but we've seen that he can get good acting out of people, and I don't know how much input he had on the CGI and cinamatography but District 9 was pretty fantastic in those regards. What else is there really? Scene choice and maybe a little influence on script?

    I'd take a newbie who's done good work thus far, and most importantly has an obvious respect for the genre as serious fiction (not muscular adventure pulp) over a seasoned idiot any day of the week!

    EDIT: Of course, he'll need a good script to start with. Dune has so much internal dialogue that if the script is weak the whole thing is toast right out the gates.


    i agree in thinking he did well with District 9. however i dont think he would really even consider Dune for very long. my understanding is that he is sticking to original science fiction. if he were to go back and do somebody elses story my guess would be Halo as he was the guy slated to direct until the project went rather haywire. i would be interested in seeing an adaptation completed by him but i have a feeling he would turn it down if offered.


    I think you underestimate the lure of ig $$ and the chance to direct one of the most important SF films possible This isn't like being offered some random peice of SF, this is THE big one.
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Peter Berg quits!

    Postby Redstar » 05 Nov 2009 22:07

    A Thing of Eternity wrote:
    Futar wrote:i agree in thinking he did well with District 9. however i dont think he would really even consider Dune for very long. my understanding is that he is sticking to original science fiction. if he were to go back and do somebody elses story my guess would be Halo as he was the guy slated to direct until the project went rather haywire. i would be interested in seeing an adaptation completed by him but i have a feeling he would turn it down if offered.


    I think you underestimate the lure of ig $$ and the chance to direct one of the most important SF films possible This isn't like being offered some random peice of SF, this is THE big one.

    I believe that I read no one is returning to the Halo project. Effectively dead, at least for a few more years and interest returns to those previously involved.

    I think that all the money is all the more reason for him to seek out this film. It'll definitely line his pockets with enough to finance a few more of his "original" works. Besides, I doubt there's a director alive that doesn't want to direct Dune at some point. The only reason they don't is because success guarantees eternal fame, while defeat guarantees infamy. The latter is more likely.
    User avatar
    Redstar
     
    Posts: 1184
    Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

    Re: Peter Berg quits!

    Postby Futar » 07 Nov 2009 13:34

    Things I have read on imdb have mentioned a spec script written by Stuart Beattie which supposedly left an impression on Steven Spielberg(truth or not? /shrug). District 9 I believe was entirely Blomkamp's story or mostly as it seems to just be a full version of his Alive in Joburg short film. His next project has been labeled as another original movie. At least if it were my choice I think my own film and story would take priority over somebody else's ideas(but maybe that's just me). I understand the allure of the big money, but he did turn down the idea of returning to Halo which to me says hes not all about the dollar signs. Either way of looking at it the fact still remains he has only the one full length film completed. Do you really think he would take on Dune as his second or even third film? To me this movie seems like it could be hell to make and could easily leave a large blemish so early in the man's career.
    Futar
     
    Posts: 42
    Joined: 17 Sep 2009 19:11

    Re: Peter Berg quits!

    Postby DuneFishUK » 07 Nov 2009 13:58

    Futar wrote:Things I have read on imdb have mentioned a spec script written by Stuart Beattie which supposedly left an impression on Steven Spielberg(truth or not? /shrug). District 9 I believe was entirely Blomkamp's story or mostly as it seems to just be a full version of his Alive in Joburg short film. His next project has been labeled as another original movie. At least if it were my choice I think my own film and story would take priority over somebody else's ideas(but maybe that's just me). I understand the allure of the big money, but he did turn down the idea of returning to Halo which to me says hes not all about the dollar signs. Either way of looking at it the fact still remains he has only the one full length film completed. Do you really think he would take on Dune as his second or even third film? To me this movie seems like it could be hell to make and could easily leave a large blemish so early in the man's career.

    There is a quote somewhere about him not wanting to do big-budget stuff. But DUNE must be pretty tempting - as a brand-name it's massive, but largely unrealised - the story is one of the best in the genre: it has huge potential. If he does it right (this project will automatically be "better than the original") he's made it. If it all goes tits-up, he goes back to making his own stuff for ~$30m :P
    User avatar
    DuneFishUK
     
    Posts: 1987
    Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
    Location: Cool Britannia

    Re: Peter Berg quits!

    Postby trang » 07 Nov 2009 16:02

    guess im solo on thinking D9 was not much more than average, didnt care for it on many levels. That puts me in the camp of not for him. Thats not to say he cant do more films and that they wont be good. Just based on this effort, would say not. My vote obviously doesnt matter, but throwng it out.

    Wanting a successful new version, would like a seasoned veteran that understands hollywood mechanics and also understands the material. I think that would provide the best balance of trying to make a money hit, and honor the book and legacy.
    "Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

    Image

    "Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
    But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.."
    User avatar
    trang
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
    Location: Hot Tub Time Machine

    Re: Peter Berg quits!

    Postby Drunken Idaho » 18 Nov 2009 16:59

    D9 impressed me very much. Blomkamp is clearly talented, so here's how it breaks down for me:

    - If he knows the material, and thinks he can tackle it, then I say let him go for it.

    - If he does not know the material, don't let him near the director's chair.


    What I'm saying is, they have to find someone who (like Berg) knows the material and is enthusiastic about it (and has real directing talent, unlike Berg). You can't take even the best director on earth and just tell him to go read Dune and adapt it. That simply won't work.

    I haven't seen any of this Neil Marshall's stuff, but his films don't really interest me, so I say "fuck off" to him.
    "The Idahos were never ordinary people."
    -Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
    User avatar
    Drunken Idaho
     
    Posts: 1197
    Joined: 15 Sep 2008 23:56
    Location: Ontario, Canada

    Re: Peter Berg quits!

    Postby Drunken Idaho » 18 Nov 2009 17:09

    That said, I have been speculating on the reason why Berg left the project, and I think there a pretty good chance that...

    He fears the Jihad!

    Yep, he doesn't want to face our backlash after he screws the whole thing up. He likely knows how critical we can be, and he knew there would be no satisfying all of us. So he kindly walked into the desert instead.
    "The Idahos were never ordinary people."
    -Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
    User avatar
    Drunken Idaho
     
    Posts: 1197
    Joined: 15 Sep 2008 23:56
    Location: Ontario, Canada

    Re: Peter Berg quits!

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 18 Nov 2009 17:28

    Drunken Idaho wrote:That said, I have been speculating on the reason why Berg left the project, and I think there a pretty good chance that...

    He fears the Jihad!

    Yep, he doesn't want to face our backlash after he screws the whole thing up. He likely knows how critical we can be, and he knew there would be no satisfying all of us. So he kindly walked into the desert instead.


    But now he's going to have to deal with the Battleship super-talifans!!! They could be even worse than us when it comes to him deviating from cannon. :lol:
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Peter Berg quits!

    Postby Hunchback Jack » 18 Nov 2009 22:32

    Groan.

    :lol:

    HBJ
    "The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
    - Carl Sagan

    I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
    - Iain Banks
    User avatar
    Hunchback Jack
     
    Posts: 1982
    Joined: 30 May 2008 15:02
    Location: California, USA

    Previous

    Return to ˱

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests