• Register
  • Login
  •          

    Pronunciations?

    Image
      Can't find the appropriate forum for your topic? Post it here!

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Pronunciations?

    Postby SandWrrm » 16 Sep 2010 20:07

    Hey guys,

    How are you actually supposed to say Bene Gesserit?

    I've always favored something like BEN-ay Jess-er-it or be-NAY Jezz-er-it, but my best friend said something like BEN Guess-er-it the other day (which I thought sounded dorky... :lol: ) But I'm not sure...
    ...You feel flesh crisping... like chicken. You feel flesh... dropping off... like crumbs from chicken...
    User avatar
    SandWrrm
     
    Posts: 21
    Joined: 16 Sep 2010 15:52

    Re: Pronunciations?

    Postby SadisticCynic » 16 Sep 2010 20:14

    I've always pronounced it the first way you mentioned; I'm fairly certain that's the way you pronounce the first word at least, judging from how people say 'nota bene'.
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    User avatar
    SadisticCynic
     
    Posts: 2004
    Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
    Location: In Time or in Space?

    Re: Pronunciations?

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 17 Sep 2010 00:23

    That's how I do, but it's not Ben-Ay for me, it's ben-eh (and not the way a Canadian would pronounce that eh)... just a short e sound.
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Pronunciations?

    Postby SandChigger » 17 Sep 2010 01:05

    The "Guess-er-it" is closer to what the original Latin would have sounded like, but is being "more correct" worth sounding like a dork? ;)
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: Pronunciations?

    Postby TheDukester » 17 Sep 2010 02:28

    I never realized I did this until just now, but I definitely put a "z" sound into the second word: "Ben-ee Jezz-ur-et." It's probably how I said it to myself in my first reading, and it stuck with me. Hmmm ... :think:
    "Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
    User avatar
    TheDukester
     
    Posts: 3808
    Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
    Location: Operation Enduring Bacon

    Re: Pronunciations?

    Postby SandChigger » 17 Sep 2010 08:04

    It's those wily Jesuits again! :P
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: Pronunciations?

    Postby SandWrrm » 17 Sep 2010 08:50

    A Thing of Eternity wrote:That's how I do, but it's not Ben-Ay for me, it's ben-eh (and not the way a Canadian would pronounce that eh)... just a short e sound.


    That's more along the lines of what i would actually say, I just thought people might read eh as sounding like the vowel in Ed instead of the Canadian way.
    ...You feel flesh crisping... like chicken. You feel flesh... dropping off... like crumbs from chicken...
    User avatar
    SandWrrm
     
    Posts: 21
    Joined: 16 Sep 2010 15:52

    Re: Pronunciations?

    Postby grandmastercrafter » 17 Sep 2010 09:16

    I've said: "Beh-nay Jeh-seh-ritt" for years, but found that the 'proper' pronunciation is "Beh-knee Jeh-sah-ritt" (bɛni dʒɛsərɪt, in the International Phonetic Alphabet that they use in Wikipedia)...

    Like I was saying to someone else, somewhere else, sometime in the past, it doesn't really matter... languages change according to popular usage. The more people who say it a particular way can effect change in pronunciation, grammar, spelling, contractions, etc. etc... the 'rules' are made based on usages in geographical areas, and that changes over time. English itself is constantly evolving, even in our digital age, where stuff can be stored to show the way it's 'supposed' to be. All languages change (some more than others, but they all change)...

    So wave your hands in the air, and say 'Beenie Gee-Sir-it' like you just don't care! :dance:
    THINK CRITICALLY
    :auto-gmcredsmiley:
    grandmastercrafter
     
    Posts: 173
    Joined: 06 Jul 2010 09:20
    Location: Crafthall

    Re: Pronunciations?

    Postby grandmastercrafter » 17 Sep 2010 09:17

    SandChigger wrote:It's those wily Jesuits again! :P

    Jeh-sweets?
    THINK CRITICALLY
    :auto-gmcredsmiley:
    grandmastercrafter
     
    Posts: 173
    Joined: 06 Jul 2010 09:20
    Location: Crafthall

    Re: Pronunciations?

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 17 Sep 2010 12:56

    SandWrrm wrote:
    A Thing of Eternity wrote:That's how I do, but it's not Ben-Ay for me, it's ben-eh (and not the way a Canadian would pronounce that eh)... just a short e sound.


    That's more along the lines of what i would actually say, I just thought people might read eh as sounding like the vowel in Ed instead of the Canadian way.


    I do actually mean eh as in Ed. I'm a bit confusing sometimes...
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Pronunciations?

    Postby SandWrrm » 17 Sep 2010 15:20

    A Thing of Eternity wrote:
    SandWrrm wrote:
    A Thing of Eternity wrote:That's how I do, but it's not Ben-Ay for me, it's ben-eh (and not the way a Canadian would pronounce that eh)... just a short e sound.


    That's more along the lines of what i would actually say, I just thought people might read eh as sounding like the vowel in Ed instead of the Canadian way.


    I do actually mean eh as in Ed. I'm a bit confusing sometimes...


    Oh! Okay. I can see that making sense too, though. :D
    ...You feel flesh crisping... like chicken. You feel flesh... dropping off... like crumbs from chicken...
    User avatar
    SandWrrm
     
    Posts: 21
    Joined: 16 Sep 2010 15:52

    Re: Pronunciations?

    Postby SandWrrm » 17 Sep 2010 15:22

    grandmastercrafter wrote:So wave your hands in the air, and say 'Beenie Gee-Sir-it' like you just don't care! :dance:


    Because of this, I now love you. :clap:
    ...You feel flesh crisping... like chicken. You feel flesh... dropping off... like crumbs from chicken...
    User avatar
    SandWrrm
     
    Posts: 21
    Joined: 16 Sep 2010 15:52

    Re: Pronunciations?

    Postby grandmastercrafter » 21 Sep 2010 10:07

    SandWrrm wrote:
    grandmastercrafter wrote:So wave your hands in the air, and say 'Beenie Gee-Sir-it' like you just don't care! :dance:


    Because of this, I now love you. :clap:

    :romance-smileyheart: Because of that, I love you too. :D
    THINK CRITICALLY
    :auto-gmcredsmiley:
    grandmastercrafter
     
    Posts: 173
    Joined: 06 Jul 2010 09:20
    Location: Crafthall


    Return to ˱

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests