Frank Herbert - Dune 7: A Reconstruction

Can't find the appropriate forum for your topic? Post it here!

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

Frank Herbert - Dune 7: A Reconstruction

Postby SandChigger » 19 Oct 2010 01:12

Askaris and Ionah posted a link to this post over on the "Sur Dune avec Frank Herbert" group on Facebook.

Jules Wellesley Blog: Frank Herbert - Dune 7: A Reconstruction

I also posted a link to it from my blog, but haven't commented on it yet. (Master B dropped by and commented, though. :lol: ) Interesting analysis and speculation, and far more canonical projections/predictions than The Hacks Twain were obviously capable of.

Worth a look, IMHO. :D

He also links to this thread on the Something Awful forums, where you can find this interesting comment regarding BoBo Herbo on the first page:

Etoniichuan wrote:The House book read like inoffensive fan fiction, and they were ok, definitely not up to what Frank Herbert was writing. The Butlerian Jihad books were absolutley terrible, and got exponentially so as the books went on. I struggled through them and finished them, but after I finished the third one in that series I decided to never give those dicks anymore of my money.

It didn't help that I actually met Brian Herbert at a book signing and he was a complete rear end in a top hat.

- Hey, I am looking forward to reading The Machine Crusade, I am interested to see the direction you are taking wi...
- Yeah I was in a book signing in Cleveland, Ohio, you know they got the rock and roll hall of fame there?
- Uh, yeah...?
- Well this girl there told me that Dune rocks totally! So I am going to go ahead and write that on your poster.
- Um, thanks

and then he wrote that bullshit on my poster, at least he didn't write it in my book.

I think what is particularly offensive about there writing isn't that its bad. Its bascially mediocre, its the fact that they keep trying to do things with the Dune series that it wasn't intended to do or be. These dickbags just keep cashing in on Franks good name.

A Thing of Eternity

Re: Frank Herbert - Dune 7: A Reconstruction

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 19 Oct 2010 11:21

Cool, I'll check this out later.

TheDukester

Postby TheDukester » 19 Oct 2010 11:51

These occasional "Brain Herbert Is An Asshole" posts are hysterical.

They destroy my mental picture of the helpless/hapless Bobo shuffling around his garden mumbling "Yes, I'll sign the check, Kevin," but, still, they are funny. And if Phuzzy Pherbert really is a gaping asshole, then it just makes it so much easier to hate him and wish for him to be attacked by rare and deadly bacteria.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

Apjak

Postby Apjak » 19 Oct 2010 13:49

Notice the bug-score on the something awful forum?

Unless Lord of Laughton is a chigger sockpuppet, that happens to be "gay for General Tapioca"

We are SandChigger... Resistance is Futile.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Postby Nekhrun » 19 Oct 2010 17:48

SandChigger wrote:Askaris and Ionah posted a link to this post over on the "Sur Dune avec Frank Herbert" group on Facebook.

Jules Wellesley Blog: Frank Herbert - Dune 7: A Reconstruction

I also posted a link to it from my blog, but haven't commented on it yet. (Master B dropped by and commented, though. :lol: ) Interesting analysis and speculation, and far more canonical projections/predictions than The Hacks Twain were obviously capable of.

Worth a look, IMHO. :D

He also links to this thread on the Something Awful forums, where you can find this interesting comment regarding BoBo Herbo on the first page...

I liked this one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... t379088985
I hope that if someday a time machine is invented, that someone takes one of the lovely loving prequel/sequel books back in time and shows it to Frank so he can purposefully pull out and cum all over the rug instead of creating Brian.

In other words, no, they are not worth reading.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros

lotek

Postby lotek » 20 Oct 2010 16:41

these comments would be hilarious if they were not so true :(
But still it's good to see that we OHs are not alone in thinking what we think, which makes tehack's whingeing seem farcical(he'd be good in panto!)

Spice is the worm's gonads.

Shaitan

Postby Shaitan » 21 Oct 2010 02:50

lotek wrote:these comments would be hilarious if they were not so true :(
But still it's good to see that we OHs are not alone in thinking what we think, which makes tehack's whingeing seem farcical(he'd be good in panto!)

Actually, I always pictured a sandworm as moving rather gracefully through the desert....until it gets pissed, and even then it's still poetry in motion as it comes slamming down on you like a crysknife-studded tsunami.
Last edited by Shaitan on 21 Oct 2010 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ

inhuien

Postby inhuien » 21 Oct 2010 06:12

Shaitan wrote:
lotek wrote:these comments would be hilarious if they were not so true :(

Actually, I always pictured a sandworm as moving rather gracefully through the desert....until it gets pissed, and then it's even still poetry in motion as it comes slamming down on you like a crysknife-studded tsunami.

Better?
bender shoulda wrote:The KJA novels have all the grace of a load of diarrhea seeping through a U-bend.

lotek

Postby lotek » 21 Oct 2010 06:51

Yup
Spice is the worm's gonads.

Tycho

Postby Tycho » 21 Oct 2010 11:42

I think a theme in Dune 7 would be that relativistic stretching of historic timelines/development. Think about now throughout human history different regions and continents developed at vastly different rates, so that imbalances in the technological development of nations were huge. One of the results was advanced nations pillaging and enslaving weaker civilisations.

We see this in Dune after the scattering. Factions return to the old empire with technology that far surpasses anything known in the region. The Bene Tlielaxu are virtually wiped out. This problem of relative development is one Herbert had not tackled thus far (because the Duniverse had been static), and I reckon he would have proposed a solution. Something to do with greater democracy, less centralisation, and quicker transmission/absorption of new technological knowledge to guard against the threat/imbalance it poses.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Postby SandChigger » 21 Oct 2010 13:06

Tycho wrote:that relativistic stretching of historic timelines/development

Due to its happening at speeds faster than that of light, you mean?

So if traveling near but below the speed of light causes shortening (or contraction), traveling faster causes "stretching"? :think:

:laughing-rolling:

Mandy
Cat Herder

Postby Mandy » 24 Oct 2010 12:42

That Jules Wellesley blog is great, thanks for posting the link.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Postby SandChigger » 24 Oct 2010 17:03

All thanks should go to Askaris and Ionah, who found it. :)

SandRider
Watermaster

Postby SandRider » 25 Oct 2010 10:35

I've had some to&fro w/ him over email - seems a decent, well-meaning and honest person ...
says he's looked around here some, will contribute when time permits, &etc.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008

MrFlibble

Postby MrFlibble » 08 Nov 2010 10:11

That Jules Wellesley guy did a lot of quite thorough research and analysis, which is most commendable. I enjoyed reading it, and to be honest, several times I realized that I have forgotten quite a few moments in Chapterhouse. All in all, the article is a piece of excellent work, and it's particularly good that the author generously provides quotes from the books to support or illustrate his line of thought. Great job!
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!

SandRider
Watermaster

Postby SandRider » 08 Nov 2010 15:45

and he's never read McDune ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008

Raveem

Postby Raveem » 22 Jun 2012 06:00

Does any one have a copy of the post? The blog seems to have disappeared.

Return to “˱”