• Register
  • Login
  •          

Dunenovels troubles

Can't find the appropriate forum for your topic? Post it here!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Postby SandChigger » 29 May 2008 18:56

Nekhrun wrote:Also, I just checked it out,you have got to see this.

Critical Information

You have been banned from this forum.
    Please contact the webmaster or board administrator for more information.

:roll:

Har dee har har.

Har.

:P
    I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

Postby Pardot Kynes » 29 May 2008 19:35

message_die() was called multiple times. This isn't supposed to happen. Was message_die() used in page_tail.php?

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
    -Julius Caesar

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/451/451.html
    http://omacl.org/
    Pardot Kynes

Postby orald » 29 May 2008 20:06

So...someone(s) sent them lots of messeages that only said "die" and it collapsed? :?

In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
    orald

Postby SandChigger » 29 May 2008 20:38

No. message_die() is the name of a function (subroutine) in the boardware. Programmers call it in other parts of the code where there is a possibility of something failing (like the code to pull up and display all of your posts from the database...and the database server is down), to give a message (for help in finding and debugging an error) instead of just a blank screen (which is the ultimate in unhelpful server responses!).

I'm at home today, and I'm still being told I'm banned.

That tells me that the same software is still in place and the same database.

What the fook is Mike Anderson doing? I see no evidence that he's doing ANYTHING.
    I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Postby Nekhrun » 29 May 2008 20:40

SandChigger wrote:
    Nekhrun wrote:Also, I just checked it out,you have got to see this.

Critical Information

You have been banned from this forum.
    Please contact the webmaster or board administrator for more information.

:roll:

Har dee har har.

Har.

Sorry, it's been a while since someone checked.
    Nekhrun
    Icelandic Wiener

Postby SandChigger » 29 May 2008 20:53

It's still down, right?

SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Postby Pardot Kynes » 29 May 2008 21:46

Still down.

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
    -Julius Caesar

Pardot Kynes

Postby orald » 29 May 2008 22:39

I find this amusing how much you guys seemt o care for that site, checking if it's up several times a day and all. :roll:

orald

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 29 May 2008 22:52

I seemt o care about it because I get great amusement out of "discussing" things with arnoldo.
    A Thing of Eternity

Postby SandChigger » 30 May 2008 01:15

I enjoy(ed) watching it slide ever further down into mediocrity.

I wonder what arnoloco is doing with himself while it's down? :lol:

SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Postby Simon » 30 May 2008 04:25

Has anyone heard why it's down?
    Simon

Postby inhuien » 30 May 2008 04:52

Simon I don't think HLP have made any comment regarding the error/downtime. There's a Mad Cow mooing about hackerey but apart from those warblings sweet fanny Adams.
    inhuien

Postby Simon » 30 May 2008 05:04

gotcha
    Simon

Postby orald » 30 May 2008 06:34

SandChigger wrote:I wonder what arnoloco is doing with himself while it's down? :lol:

:puke:

Damn you Chig, I was eating! :shock:

orald

Postby Bijaz » 30 May 2008 06:50

SandChigger wrote:I wonder what arnoloco is doing with himself while it's downnnnnn? :lol:

Bijaz

Postby DuneFishUK » 30 May 2008 07:14

inhuien wrote:Simon I don't think HLP have made any comment regarding the error/downtime. There's a Mad Cow mooing about hackerey but apart from those warblings sweet fanny Adams.

There was this: http://www.dunenovels.com/notice2.html

(which is really really informative... and the page title is wrong :P)
    DuneFishUK

Postby Nekhrun » 30 May 2008 07:26

THIS ISN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!
    Nekhrun
    Icelandic Wiener

Postby SandChigger » 30 May 2008 09:33

DuneFishUK wrote:(which is really really informative... and the page title is wrong :P)

ZING!!! :lol:

Nice one, Feesh! D'uh, I didn't even notice that the other day.

Mike has done that before. It's obvious that what he's doing is just copying a webpage file and changing the content of the body tag...but forgetting to change the contents of the title tag as well.

There was one "blog" post linking to Brian's latest books and some reprints and what have you a few months back and the titles of the Timeweb book pages were all screwed up.

It's an easy mistake to make, I've done it myself a few times.

But then again, I'm not getting paid to do it. :roll:

SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Postby SandChigger » 30 May 2008 09:34

Nekhrun wrote:THIS ISN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!

Sing it, man, yeah! 8)

(If you don't know the tune, you haven't caught The Musical Podcast yet.)

SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Postby Omphalos » 30 May 2008 09:50

Bijaz wrote:
    SandChigger wrote:I wonder what arnoloco is doing with himself while it's downnnnnn? :lol:

God, I hope he is gone for good.
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Postby SandChigger » 30 May 2008 10:06

What makes you think he's not here among us again, quietly biding his time? ;)

SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Postby Omphalos » 30 May 2008 10:36

SandChigger wrote:What makes you think he's not here among us again, quietly biding his time? ;)

I'm sure that he is. I just hate the little bastard so much that I revel in the fact that something he loves is dead. I know, I know. I'm evil and full of spite. So fucking what?
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Postby Pardot Kynes » 30 May 2008 11:07

:cry:

You make me sad...

-Julius Caesar

Pardot Kynes

Postby Omphalos » 30 May 2008 12:44

Pardot Kynes wrote::cry:

You make me sad...

You'll live.

But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I promise to be good and kind if you teach me about mythology!
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Postby orald » 30 May 2008 13:21

What, planning to do a doctorate about the myth that FH's notes really do exist or the one that says Brian actually wrote stuff from the new Dung novels?

orald

PreviousNext

Return to ˱