Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Image
    Can't find the appropriate forum for your topic? Post it here!

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

User avatar
reverendmotherQ.
Posts: 274
Joined: 05 Feb 2010 15:38
Location: Cylon Colony
Contact:

Re: Re:

Postby reverendmotherQ. » 20 Feb 2010 22:44

SandChigger wrote:
reverendmotherQ. wrote:This is about the same kid who supposedly skipped a grade in highschool.

Oh, no no no! That story always gets turned around, confuses a lot of people!

He spent a grade in highschool skipping. ;)

WIN :clap: :clap: :clap:
That would explain so much.

User avatar
Kensai
Posts: 185
Joined: 25 Jun 2010 11:08
Location: Onn

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby Kensai » 26 Jun 2010 13:13

I always though the DE was canon for us Orthodox Herbitans
Survival is the ultimate ideology Image
Image

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18133
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby Freakzilla » 26 Jun 2010 13:23

You can take it or leave it. Even though it wasn't written by FH he approved of it. He also held reservations on some of it but didn't say what. So, it is like, semi-canon.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Kensai
Posts: 185
Joined: 25 Jun 2010 11:08
Location: Onn

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby Kensai » 26 Jun 2010 14:04

Well its up to the induvidual what he/she deems canon is personally to themself, but I supose the only real "canon" is what FH himself wrote. That McDune crap certainly isn't cannon :Adolf:
Survival is the ultimate ideology Image
Image

MrFlibble
Posts: 314
Joined: 06 Jan 2010 11:25

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby MrFlibble » 28 Jun 2010 08:27

Freakzilla wrote:You can take it or leave it. Even though it wasn't written by FH he approved of it. He also held reservations on some of it but didn't say what. So, it is like, semi-canon.

As someone mentioned before, DE is an example of how to properly write in the Duniverse.

I don't think the "canon" issue is really important for Dune, where the ideas have as much (and often even more) weight as the storyline. "Canon" refers to "what really happened" in the fictional world, so that all events and their chronology are consistent. In this respect, even if the new books contained no factual contradictions, it would matter very little if they were as shallow as they are. So instead of the notion of "canon" it would be better, in my opinion, to just mention whether FH or another author is behind this or that particular concept.
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby TheDukester » 28 Jun 2010 10:50

:cylon101: Dune canon is simple: :cylon101:

Canon = six books by FH;

Entertaining, but unofficial = DE;

Everything else (including movies) = fuck off on out of here.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

User avatar
Hunchback Jack
Posts: 1982
Joined: 30 May 2008 15:02
Location: California, USA

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby Hunchback Jack » 30 Jul 2010 23:43

:text-yeahthat:

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks

User avatar
Jodorowsky's Acolyte
Posts: 370
Joined: 10 Jul 2010 10:55

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby Jodorowsky's Acolyte » 11 Aug 2010 19:59

What progress has been made on the Orthodox Herbetarian Dune Encyclopedia? Is there a blog available featuring whatever entries have been completed?
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby SandChigger » 11 Aug 2010 20:10

No progress or centralized blog that we've heard of, although someone keeps floating around the book title, The Unauthorized Dune Encyclopedia...

;)

Streaksy
Posts: 87
Joined: 13 Sep 2011 23:13

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby Streaksy » 15 Sep 2011 10:04

Huge urge to say as many Dune words I can think of...

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby SandChigger » 15 Sep 2011 11:02

Feel free to ask, anytime we're using an abbreviation or term that isn't familiar or seems odd given the usual meaning of a word, etc.

We tend to get carried away and just assume that everyone knows what we're talking about. :)

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby inhuien » 16 Sep 2011 12:50

Very weird, when I try to enter page I get for shitty prompt re security certificates needing updated, but nada on page 5, hmmm, where's me tinfoil hat...
Image

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby SandChigger » 16 Sep 2011 14:11

What what what?

(And where?!)
I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby inhuien » 16 Sep 2011 14:14

oops, too much KKKKoffee. Page 4. This thread.
Image

User avatar
JasonJD48
Posts: 76
Joined: 01 Feb 2015 19:26
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby JasonJD48 » 05 Feb 2015 16:29

Why not turn this into a wiki?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
- Arthur C. Clarke

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby inhuien » 06 Feb 2015 02:14

Laziness, life, distraction. Perhaps?
Image

User avatar
JasonJD48
Posts: 76
Joined: 01 Feb 2015 19:26
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby JasonJD48 » 06 Feb 2015 09:04

If its something that we want to pursue as a group, I'm happy to help get it going. I don't want to take other people's content here and do things with it without permission or at-least some consensus.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
- Arthur C. Clarke

xcalibur
Posts: 50
Joined: 18 Sep 2015 08:23

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby xcalibur » 13 Apr 2016 15:18

Hi,
you may want to include content from the latter books which was left out of the Dune Encyclopedia. e.g. honored matres, tleilaxu religion & the truth about axlotl tanks, soostones, pilingitam wood, scanlyzer, T-probe, etc.

as for the canon argument, the Dune Encyclopedia is semi-canon.
Fremen : Museum Fremen :: Frank : Brian & Kevin

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2823
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby Serkanner » 15 Apr 2016 13:56

xcalibur wrote:Hi,


as for the canon argument, the Dune Encyclopedia is semi-canon.


Repeating a false statement doesn't make it true. The DE is not canon, get over it.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

xcalibur
Posts: 50
Joined: 18 Sep 2015 08:23

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby xcalibur » 15 Apr 2016 20:55

Serkanner wrote:
xcalibur wrote:Hi,


as for the canon argument, the Dune Encyclopedia is semi-canon.


Repeating a false statement doesn't make it true. The DE is not canon, get over it.


can you elaborate on this?

Frank Herbert gave his stamp of approval to the DE, while reserving the right to ignore or overwrite it in the novels. what better confirmation is there than a statement from the author? based on these known facts, it's semi-canon, in other words: a reliable source that is second to the books, but can't be dismissed outright.
Fremen : Museum Fremen :: Frank : Brian & Kevin

User avatar
Cpt. Aramsham
Posts: 100
Joined: 06 Oct 2012 11:11

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby Cpt. Aramsham » 16 Apr 2016 07:10

If no part of the Dune Encyclopedia was written by Frank Herbert or based on exclusive material by him (and it wasn't, apart from discussions with McNelly), if Frank Herbert never used any ideas introduced in the Dune Encyclopedia (and I am not aware of any examples where he did), and if Frank Herbert contradicted it without a moment's pause (and on several minor points where he easily could have followed it, e.g. the heraldic sign of the Harkonnens, he chose to ignore it), why should we feel compelled to accept anything in it?

FH's endorsement essentially amounts to "here's an amusing book for fans, but don't take anything in it too seriously". It's an authorized collection of fan fiction. You may choose to "believe" it if you like, but others are equally justified in "dismissing it outright". Therefore it is not canon.

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2823
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby Serkanner » 16 Apr 2016 11:54

xcalibur wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
xcalibur wrote:Hi,


as for the canon argument, the Dune Encyclopedia is semi-canon.


Repeating a false statement doesn't make it true. The DE is not canon, get over it.


can you elaborate on this?

Frank Herbert gave his stamp of approval to the DE, while reserving the right to ignore or overwrite it in the novels. what better confirmation is there than a statement from the author? based on these known facts, it's semi-canon, in other words: a reliable source that is second to the books, but can't be dismissed outright.


No. Not a single word was written by Frank, so it is not canon. Period. It is good fan-fiction, that is all.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

xcalibur
Posts: 50
Joined: 18 Sep 2015 08:23

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby xcalibur » 16 Apr 2016 16:58

Cpt. Aramsham wrote:If no part of the Dune Encyclopedia was written by Frank Herbert or based on exclusive material by him (and it wasn't, apart from discussions with McNelly), if Frank Herbert never used any ideas introduced in the Dune Encyclopedia (and I am not aware of any examples where he did), and if Frank Herbert contradicted it without a moment's pause (and on several minor points where he easily could have followed it, e.g. the heraldic sign of the Harkonnens, he chose to ignore it), why should we feel compelled to accept anything in it?

FH's endorsement essentially amounts to "here's an amusing book for fans, but don't take anything in it too seriously". It's an authorized collection of fan fiction. You may choose to "believe" it if you like, but others are equally justified in "dismissing it outright". Therefore it is not canon.


it's important to keep in mind that the encyclopedia was compiled after god emperor and before heretics/chapterhouse. FH naturally didn't want to limit himself to what was put down in the encyclopedia, he wanted free rein to create. and so, where there are contradictions, official canon takes precedence, but that doesn't necessarily refute the encyclopedia. in fact, for Frank Herbert to strictly stay within the guidelines of numerous articles by various authors would've been a bit much.

I will quote from the DE itself:

Here is a rich background (and foreground) for the Dune Chronicles, including scholarly bypaths and amusing sidelights. Some of the contributions are sure to arouse controversy, based as they are on questionable sources. Others round out long speculation. Specialists have had their field day here with problems geological, biological, astronomical, and mystical, with pronounciations, major biographies, histories and accounts of little-known figures. The range of topics is catholic: cf. from games for amusement to games of life and death (Cheops or Pyramid Chess to "The Assassins' Handbook").
The history of the Financial Synod which spawned CHOAM gets its first airing in these pages. In fact, many secrets hidden in the Dune Chronicles are answered here.
How did Irulan first gain and then arouse the displeasure of Ghanima? Who was Jehanne Butler and why does the Butlerian Jihad carry her name? What are the hidden origins of the Spacing Guild? Where did spice-trance navigational techniques develop? What was Leto II's private opinion of Holy Sister Quintinius Violet Chenoeh? Does Cheops have something in common with the three-body problem?
I must confess that I found it fascinating to re-enter here some of the sources on which the Chronicles are built. As the first ' Dune fan,'' I give this encyclopedia my delighted approval, although I hold my own counsel on some of the issues still to be explored as the Chronicles unfold.
Frank Herbert Port Townsend, WA November, 1983


I think this, especially the bolded parts, give some degree of legitimacy to the DE. I agree that it's not fully canon, but it's a better source than the "museum dune" books by that pair of hacks. therefore I consider it semi-canon for lack of a better term. I could call it quasi-canon if that suits you better.
Fremen : Museum Fremen :: Frank : Brian & Kevin

User avatar
Cpt. Aramsham
Posts: 100
Joined: 06 Oct 2012 11:11

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby Cpt. Aramsham » 16 Apr 2016 17:57

xcalibur wrote:it's important to keep in mind that the encyclopedia was compiled after god emperor and before heretics/chapterhouse. FH naturally didn't want to limit himself to what was put down in the encyclopedia, he wanted free rein to create. and so, where there are contradictions, official canon takes precedence, but that doesn't necessarily refute the encyclopedia. in fact, for Frank Herbert to strictly stay within the guidelines of numerous articles by various authors would've been a bit much.

Yes, those are probably the reasons why FH made sure to point out that he was not committed to what it said, and hence why it is not canon. I note that even in the preface to the book, he carefully avoids actually endorsing anything it says, just saying he gives the encyclopedia "his delighted approval" – a key distinction.

Can you point to any instances where FH seems to have been inspired by, or decided to incorporate some original idea or detail from the Dune Encyclopedia into his books? Because as long as all we have are contradictions, I think it does refute the Encyclopedia as a whole.

xcalibur wrote:I agree that it's not fully canon, but it's a better source than the "museum dune" books by that pair of hacks. therefore I consider it semi-canon for lack of a better term. I could call it quasi-canon if that suits you better.

If by "canon" we mean the set of texts fans are compelled to accept as authoritative, then the Dune Encyclopedia is not canon, because Frank Herbert is the only undisputed authority on Dune, and there's no indication he felt committed to any of the information in the DE.

I don't think "semi-canon" or "quasi-canon" are meaningful terms (if we extend the metaphor that gave us the term, it should be either "deuterocanonical" or "apocryphal"). If you just mean to say that it's a text that adds to the other books, and that fans can choose to treat it as true where it doesn't contradict Frank Herbert, then sure. But you could say the same thing about the BH&KJA books. I don't think you've offered any particularly compelling argument that we ought to.

xcalibur
Posts: 50
Joined: 18 Sep 2015 08:23

Re: Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Encyclopedia

Postby xcalibur » 16 Apr 2016 18:49

Cpt. Aramsham wrote:
xcalibur wrote:it's important to keep in mind that the encyclopedia was compiled after god emperor and before heretics/chapterhouse. FH naturally didn't want to limit himself to what was put down in the encyclopedia, he wanted free rein to create. and so, where there are contradictions, official canon takes precedence, but that doesn't necessarily refute the encyclopedia. in fact, for Frank Herbert to strictly stay within the guidelines of numerous articles by various authors would've been a bit much.

Yes, those are probably the reasons why FH made sure to point out that he was not committed to what it said, and hence why it is not canon. I note that even in the preface to the book, he carefully avoids actually endorsing anything it says, just saying he gives the encyclopedia "his delighted approval" – a key distinction.

Can you point to any instances where FH seems to have been inspired by, or decided to incorporate some original idea or detail from the Dune Encyclopedia into his books? Because as long as all we have are contradictions, I think it does refute the Encyclopedia as a whole.


I think there were a few details like planet names that were borrowed from the DE and used in heretics/chapterhouse, but I'm not sure. actually, here it is: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3117&p=119243

xcalibur wrote:I agree that it's not fully canon, but it's a better source than the "museum dune" books by that pair of hacks. therefore I consider it semi-canon for lack of a better term. I could call it quasi-canon if that suits you better.

If by "canon" we mean the set of texts fans are compelled to accept as authoritative, then the Dune Encyclopedia is not canon, because Frank Herbert is the only undisputed authority on Dune, and there's no indication he felt committed to any of the information in the DE.

I don't think "semi-canon" or "quasi-canon" are meaningful terms (if we extend the metaphor that gave us the term, it should be either "deuterocanonical" or "apocryphal"). If you just mean to say that it's a text that adds to the other books, and that fans can choose to treat it as true where it doesn't contradict Frank Herbert, then sure. But you could say the same thing about the BH&KJA books. I don't think you've offered any particularly compelling argument that we ought to.


deuterocanonical/apocryphal are much better terms.

it's not canon, and it is a collection of fan fiction. it may not be endorsed by Frank Herbert, but it has his approval, which is more than can be said for Brian & Kevin.

It is a more reliable source than anything by Brian & Kevin while not being canon. it's an apocryphal work which you're not compelled to accept, but is a worthwhile contribution for the most part. Some articles are quite good, while others are questionable.

the original 6 are canon, Brian & Kevin are non-canon and should be rejected (except for the Dune 7 outline & notes, but we have no way of verifying that content). the Dune Encyclopedia is somewhere in between - you can accept or reject it as you like but it should be taken into consideration. At the very least it should not be placed on the same level as B&K.
Fremen : Museum Fremen :: Frank : Brian & Kevin


Return to “˱”