Leto and Ghanima

    Can't find the appropriate forum for your topic? Post it here!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Secher_Nbiw
Posts: 175
Joined: 04 Jul 2008 06:24
Location: notts
Contact:

Leto and Ghanima

Postby Secher_Nbiw » 07 Jul 2008 03:43

Someone recently asked me if it's ok to marry your sibling, providing there would be no sexual contact and no offspring born, and it got me thinking about the Leto/Ghani situation. Marrying a sibling doesn't seem to be an accepted thing, but how difficult must it have been on those two, given they have full access to other memory and it is stated they play the parent game, where, in effect, they let their parents control their bodies ( this was also something handled very well in the COD mini-series). I was just pondering on this and thought i'd offer it up as food for thought....
I am a mortal god.

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Postby orald » 07 Jul 2008 04:24

In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

HoosierDaddy

Re: Leto and Ghanima

Postby HoosierDaddy » 07 Jul 2008 11:55

Secher_Nbiw wrote:Someone recently asked me if it's ok to marry your sibling, providing there would be no sexual contact and no offspring born, and it got me thinking about the Leto/Ghani situation. Marrying a sibling doesn't seem to be an accepted thing, but how difficult must it have been on those two, given they have full access to other memory and it is stated they play the parent game, where, in effect, they let their parents control their bodies ( this was also something handled very well in the COD mini-series). I was just pondering on this and thought i'd offer it up as food for thought....


Why bother getting married if no sexual contact and no children? And if two people want to "live together", whats to stop them?

As for Leto and Ghani, they married to consolidate the throne/power. And correct me if I'm wrong, once Leto II took the sandtrout skin, he couldn't father children. And before that, both were prepubescent.

User avatar
Robspierre
Posts: 2161
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 10:49
Location: Cascadia

Postby Robspierre » 07 Jul 2008 13:17

orald wrote:Read Time Enough For Love. :wink: ( :puke: )



Good book

Rob

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6677
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Postby Omphalos » 07 Jul 2008 13:46

Didnt Heinlein kind of touch on these issues in Podkayne of Mars too? its been years since I read that one and i cannot remember for certain.

Secher_Nbiw
Posts: 175
Joined: 04 Jul 2008 06:24
Location: notts
Contact:

Postby Secher_Nbiw » 10 Jul 2008 03:07

anyone got a pdf of this so i can read in my spare time, aka at work? ;)
I am a mortal god.

User avatar
waff
Posts: 51
Joined: 25 Jun 2008 20:02

Re: Leto and Ghanima

Postby waff » 10 Jul 2008 06:07

HoosierDaddy wrote:
Secher_Nbiw wrote:Someone recently asked me if it's ok to marry your sibling, providing there would be no sexual contact and no offspring born, and it got me thinking about the Leto/Ghani situation. Marrying a sibling doesn't seem to be an accepted thing, but how difficult must it have been on those two, given they have full access to other memory and it is stated they play the parent game, where, in effect, they let their parents control their bodies ( this was also something handled very well in the COD mini-series). I was just pondering on this and thought i'd offer it up as food for thought....


Why bother getting married if no sexual contact and no children? And if two people want to "live together", whats to stop them?

As for Leto and Ghani, they married to consolidate the throne/power. And correct me if I'm wrong, once Leto II took the sandtrout skin, he couldn't father children. And before that, both were prepubescent.


They were kids, but they were following the ancient Egyptian model of marrying inside the royal family (all that very old other memory). But it was his plan that Ghani breed with the Corrino line, and then he could manipulate the subsequent Atreides through his breeding program to create a Siona in the end.

Leto tells Hwi in GEoD that he started the transformation before he became sexually mature. He felt the hunger--both for food and probably in that other region too--so in his pre-flipper days he would just start running!!!!! (I think they had a cute little CG McAvoy doing a Forrest Gump at the end of the miniseries--and yes, McAvoy was way older than the book Leto). I love how everyone looks for a sandworm penis on him in GEoD.

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Re: Leto and Ghanima

Postby orald » 11 Jul 2008 12:12

waff wrote:I love how everyone looks for a sandworm penis on him in GEoD.

Not only look, but find! :shock:
Image
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.



I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

User avatar
Drunken Idaho
Posts: 1197
Joined: 15 Sep 2008 23:56
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Drunken Idaho » 22 Sep 2008 13:08

It works in the Duniverse, but in our world, isn't the marriage only official when the bride and groom have consummated the marriage? IE Fucking...

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Postby TheDukester » 22 Sep 2008 13:09

Drunken Idaho wrote:IE Fucking...

Lawl!

Yeah, we know what it means ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6677
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Postby Omphalos » 22 Sep 2008 13:28

Drunken Idaho wrote:It works in the Duniverse, but in our world, isn't the marriage only official when the bride and groom have consummated the marriage? IE Fucking...


Nope. Its when you are pronounced man and wife. Or whatever. Though failure of consummation is adequate grounds in most states to get a divorce.

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 22 Sep 2008 13:31

Drunken Idaho wrote:It works in the Duniverse, but in our world, isn't the marriage only official when the bride and groom have consummated the marriage? IE Fucking...


Depends on the culture, I can't think of any that I'm totally sure of off the top of my head by I think there have been/are several cultures where a marriage doesn't need to be consummated to be official. Could be wrong though.

Look at George Takai and his husband, official marriage but they're probably too old to get it up. :wink: (I kid, I kid)

EDIT TO ADD:

Omphalos wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:It works in the Duniverse, but in our world, isn't the marriage only official when the bride and groom have consummated the marriage? IE Fucking...


Nope. Its when you are pronounced man and wife. Or whatever. Though failure of consummation is adequate grounds in most states to get a divorce.


There you go, I forgot OUR culture. :oops:
Image