• Register
  • Login
  •          

Toying with a little idea

Can't find the appropriate forum for your topic? Post it here!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Toying with a little idea

Postby Laphtiya » 18 Sep 2008 10:27

Been toying with a little idea for a while now. I am thinking of writing a small (very small) story in the Dune universe. Not planning it to have an actual ending or anything it might be something I would build on it over time and strictly for fun. Only because I've fancied having a go at writing my own story for years, its been something I've wanted to do for a long time now. But I thought I would write about something I liked first to see what it would be like. Any tips or pointers I should consider before doing this?

And would there be something you think would be a good idea to write as a mini story?
    Laphtiya

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 18 Sep 2008 12:12

Write about stuff that happens out in the scattering, gives you waaay more creative liscence without fear of stepping on FH's stuff.

Fuck, I hope the Hack never sees this post...
    A Thing of Eternity

Postby SandChigger » 18 Sep 2008 12:12

^^^ What he said. :)

(This was actually aimed at BB's comment, but AToE's is worthy, too. ;) )
    Last edited by SandChigger on 18 Sep 2008 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
    I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

Postby Freakzilla » 18 Sep 2008 12:51

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Write about stuff that happens out in the scattering, gives you waaay more creative liscence without fear of stepping on FH's stuff.

Fuck, I hope the Hack never sees this post...

If they'd been smart they would have written in that setting in the first place, anything goes.

But I'm sure they would find a way to make it inconsistant.
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

on Dune fanfiction

Postby Sole Man » 18 Sep 2008 13:08

You should read the HIGH DUNES DRIFTER TRILOGY (Located at the DN Fourm) That should set you on the right course.
    Sole Man

Postby Rakis » 18 Sep 2008 23:35

I'd like something about the Lost Tlelaxu. A GOOD Tlelaxu story to exorcise what the hacks did to them in the last two books...

"Nice" Tlelaxu? Image
    Rakis

Postby Ampoliros » 18 Sep 2008 23:48

"Tleilaxu open about their society and secrets to anyone with a badge, 5000 years before they exist"
    Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
    Ampoliros

Thanks

Postby Laphtiya » 19 Sep 2008 05:39

Thanks for the tips and ideas. I was thinking of maybe following an Imperial Messenger as he is sent to Arrakis to deliver a message to Rabban from the Emperor and CHOAM, about how they are displeased with the sudden fall in Spice production.

Trying to keep away from tripping over any Canon. Don't want to use any established characters if I can. Just a few pages nothing massive at the moment. I just wannat see if I can string more than a couple of words together :wink:
    Laphtiya

Postby Ghost » 19 Sep 2008 06:11

I'd like to read about how the Great Houses were downgraded between CoD and GeoD, mostly what happened to House Corrino.
    Ghost

Postby Laphtiya » 19 Sep 2008 06:40

Ghost wrote:I'd like to read about how the Great Houses were downgraded between CoD and GeoD, mostly what happened to House Corrino.

What I think happened is because of the limitation of Spice and travel that Leto forced on the Imperium the old system collapsed. Blood Feuds were no longer relivant because you had to freedom to follow it through. The Great Houses had no real power anymore because the God Emperor forced his will on the Imperium (possibly the first TRUE Emperor since the founding of the Imperium). With the passage of time people slowly forgot the old ways and became settled in their new lives, just as the Fremen did.
    Laphtiya

Return to ˱