• Register
  • Login
  •          

Pandora Series

Non-Dune Frank Herbert Book Discussion

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Mr. Teg

Re: Pandora Series

Postby SadisticCynic » 12 Apr 2017 17:30

georgiedenbro wrote:I just finished a first-time read of The Jesus Incident after having finished a second read-through of D:Void. I have to say it was a bit tough to get through. Stylistically it doesn't have the same feel as a book written entirely by FH, and I also felt it was beating around the bush quite a lot in getting to the theme in its culmination. The mystery of the kelp seemed to be built up so much that towards the end it was almost plainly obvious what the answer would be.

That being said, this book has a lot in common with Dan Simmons' Hyperion series - most notably the last couple of books. Most notably, my hypothesis that FH subscribes to the same esoteric school of thought as Simmons has mostly been validated by TJI. D:Void hinted at the idea that true consciousness is awareness that all of space and time are connected and that distance isn't what we think it is, and TJI more or less states it directly. Empathy seems to be the experience of instantaneous contact with remote lives in this book, much as it was in Simmon's four Hyperion books. I'm rather happy, in the end, to have this model of FH's thought to go on in the future, as I suspect it will elucidate some of the more obscure elements in some of his books (I'm not sure all of then employ this model of physics at the Pandora and Dune series do). It certainly goes a long way towards explaining prescience in Dune, as well as perhaps the BG and Tleilaxu abilities.

Probably a nice link to make in this vein is the strong emphasis on love in the final two Dune novels.
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    SadisticCynic

Previous

Return to ˱