Hellstrom's Hive

Non-Dune Frank Herbert Book Discussion

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Mr. Teg

georgiedenbro

Re: Hellstrom's Hive

Postby georgiedenbro » 23 Jul 2020 10:10

Serkanner wrote:It is new to me too the book is based on a film. You can find the film on youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVZpzLUoGU0

I managed to watch 2/3 of it last night, and it's quite weird and eccentric. I'll post again when I've finished it.

It has been some time since I have read it, but isn't also the Axolotl tank used here?

I don't think that term is used verbatim, but it does seem like they are developing a proto version of that in the hive. Maybe the term was avoided because it's about insect metaphors and terms, and so amphibians are out :animals-frog:
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"

georgiedenbro

Postby georgiedenbro » 27 Jul 2020 09:29

I managed to catch the 90 min film on the weekend, "The Hellstrom Chronicle". It's a pretty creepy, even chilling story about a guy who slowly over the film reveals that his fascination with insects is more than just mere admiration. He speaks almost with glee at the thought of insects toppling human civilization, and the amazing graphic images of insect interactions show us just how brutal and merciless this would be. Even the film's comical attempts to show us 'romantic' insect scenes end up being sardonically morbid. It's a pretty neat film, probably belonging in the horror genre even though everything you see is documentary footage.

The hilarious thing, though, is that this "documentary" about insects being the superior form of life was actually reviewed by major reviewers like the NY TImes and Roger Ebert. Both reviews praised the cinematography and thought the narration was ridiculous and over-the-top, claiming that they thought its pronouncement that humanity was doomed was a distraction from the good nature footage. The reason this is hilarious is because apparently the film went right over their heads. The footage is real, but the explanations about how this proves the insects are superior to us is pretty obviously fright-night kind of stuff, like John Carpenter type thinking. The humor laced into it should be a giveaway, but I guess they thought it was just an 'eccentric' opinion about insects. The fact that it's announced at the end that Lawrence Pressman is "playing" Nils Hellstrom should have clued them in that the piece is about him, not about the insects. So basically they thought the character was a real documentary maker or something :doh:
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Postby Freakzilla » 30 Jul 2020 19:55

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman