• Register
  • Login
  •          

    Home Schooling around the world

    Image
      Abandon all sanity, ye who enter here!

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Re: Home Schooling around the world

    Postby SandChigger » 06 Jan 2010 19:58

    (You got them backwards there, Thang. Brian is "Number 1" [in every sense that can take] and Bruce was the second son. BPH, b. 1947, BCH, b. 1951 - d. 199? Penny (b.1942), Byron's mother by FH's first wife, was his oldest child.)
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: Home Schooling around the world

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 06 Jan 2010 20:16

    SandChigger wrote:(You got them backwards there, Thang. Brian is "Number 1" [in every sense that can take] and Bruce was the second son. BPH, b. 1947, BCH, b. 1951 - d. 199? Penny (b.1942), Byron's mother by FH's first wife, was his oldest child.)


    Ah yes, I'd forgotten. :oops:
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Home Schooling around the world

    Postby SandRider » 06 Jan 2010 21:39

    Omphalos wrote:I believe that the children are our future, so I'm all for it.



    I agree with Omph: teach them well, and let them lead the way.
    Show them all the beauty they possess inside, give them a sense
    of pride. Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to feel.

    I believe home-schooling is extremely subjective. There is the "wingnut"
    parents danger, the hate-group/religious nutbag potential. Unqualified
    parents teaching a very lacking curriculum (but that can be aided by
    numerous on-line home-schooling programs) and so on. Lots of negatives,
    but more importantly, more potential for trouble.

    But in my personal experience, I've found home-schooled kids to be some
    of the most well-adjusted, intelligent, inquisitive and polite kids in the society.
    A large number of families who do living history re-enacting also home-school
    their kids, so I've had a lot of exposure to them. Granted, some of the parents
    are, in fact, total nutbags and religious idiots, but then so are alot of the parents
    of the kids that play on my six-man public high school football team, and teach them
    alot of silly shit at the house.

    I decided long ago never to walk in anyone's shadow; if I fail, if I suceed,
    atleast I live as I believe. No matter what they take from me, they can't
    take away my dignity ....
    ................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
    ImageImage

    I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
    how to fully interact with people.
    ~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
    User avatar
    SandRider
    Watermaster
     
    Posts: 6163
    Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
    Location: In the back of your mind. Always.

    Re: Home Schooling around the world

    Postby Omphalos » 06 Jan 2010 23:09

    SandRider wrote:
    Omphalos wrote:I believe that the children are our future, so I'm all for it.



    I agree with Omph: teach them well, and let them lead the way.
    Show them all the beauty they possess inside, give them a sense
    of pride. Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to feel.

    I believe home-schooling is extremely subjective. There is the "wingnut"
    parents danger, the hate-group/religious nutbag potential. Unqualified
    parents teaching a very lacking curriculum (but that can be aided by
    numerous on-line home-schooling programs) and so on. Lots of negatives,
    but more importantly, more potential for trouble.

    But in my personal experience, I've found home-schooled kids to be some
    of the most well-adjusted, intelligent, inquisitive and polite kids in the society.
    A large number of families who do living history re-enacting also home-school
    their kids, so I've had a lot of exposure to them. Granted, some of the parents
    are, in fact, total nutbags and religious idiots, but then so are alot of the parents
    of the kids that play on my six-man public high school football team, and teach them
    alot of silly shit at the house.

    I decided long ago never to walk in anyone's shadow; if I fail, if I suceed,
    atleast I live as I believe. No matter what they take from me, they can't
    take away my dignity ....


    Thanks! I was waiting for that.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6572
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: Home Schooling around the world

    Postby Freakzilla » 03 Feb 2010 12:27

    This is about a public school but...

    Arizona Principal Suspended for Sarcastic Letter
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010


    PHOENIX — An Arizona school principal who penned a sarcastic letter that chided parents for children who were either "too lazy or too stupid" to complete their assignments in class was suspended after the missive was mistakenly sent home.

    "The math we do is really easy," said the letter from Litchfield Elementary School principal Ron Sterr. "If your child is either too lazy or too stupid to finish it in class, I'm sending it home so that you can work with them and judge for yourself whether it is laziness or idiocy that inhibits your child's progress."

    Ron Sterr has called each parent individually to apologize and take responsibility, the Litchfield school district said.

    The letter sent home Jan. 26 with second graders also contained passages about students with peanut allergies and emotional problems stemming from puppy deaths.

    Sterr said Tuesday that he wrote the joke letter in response to caustic comments made by "an individual" and a teacher accidentally sent it home. In an interview with The Associated Press, Sterr said nothing in the letter represents his views toward children and that he openly opposes those views.

    "The purpose of the letter was to mock those views and point out how ludicrous they are," Sterr said. "I have always loved the kids, and I believe they know it. For anyone to assume that I have those kinds of views is uninformed."

    Superintendent Dr. Julianne Lein said the district apologizes for the incident and is taking steps to remedy the situation. The school district, which is in a west Phoenix suburb, removed Sterr pending disciplinary action.

    "The Litchfield School District renders its most sincere apology to our students, parents, community and staff for this incident. We are taking specific steps to remedy this situation," Lein said in a statement.

    Sterr said he will not be returning to Litchfield Elementary as principal. He faces a demotion and possible termination.

    :lol:
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18062
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Re: Home Schooling around the world

    Postby SadisticCynic » 03 Feb 2010 14:27

    Freakzilla wrote:This is about a public school but...

    ...He faces a demotion and possible termination.

    :lol:


    What?!? :violence-sniperdark:



    Actually he is probably right to a certain extent, although if its only maths he is talking about, not all maths teachers are particularly brilliant at explaining the subject either...
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    User avatar
    SadisticCynic
     
    Posts: 2004
    Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
    Location: In Time or in Space?

    Re: Home Schooling around the world

    Postby Freakzilla » 03 Feb 2010 14:55

    SadisticCynic wrote:
    Freakzilla wrote:This is about a public school but...

    ...He faces a demotion and possible termination.

    :lol:


    What?!? :violence-sniperdark:



    Actually he is probably right to a certain extent, although if its only maths he is talking about, not all maths teachers are particularly brilliant at explaining the subject either...


    It's an elementary school. How difficult it it to explain: Johnny has three apple, he gives one to Tom... :?

    He's absolutely right.
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18062
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Re: Home Schooling around the world

    Postby Eyes High » 03 Feb 2010 15:19

    Wow!

    whether he meant it or not that is going to haunt him for a long time.

    But sometimes I think it is laziness on the kid's part. Not all the times of course, but it does seem to be more the case, at least in my humble opinion.


    But still Wow! I bet he wishes he never wrote that letter now, joke or not.

    :shock:
    What fear is there in the night?
    Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
    User avatar
    Eyes High
    Patience Personified
     
    Posts: 2320
    Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
    Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

    Re: Home Schooling around the world

    Postby Freakzilla » 03 Feb 2010 15:56

    Eyes High wrote:But still Wow! I bet he wishes he never wrote that letter now, joke or not.


    I heard about this story on the radio on my way in to work this morning. They said he was writing it as a theraputic exercise. You know, just to vent with no intention of sending it out. Some teach got ahold of it and sent it home to all the parents.
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18062
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Re: Home Schooling around the world

    Postby SadisticCynic » 03 Feb 2010 17:11

    Freakzilla wrote:
    Eyes High wrote:But still Wow! I bet he wishes he never wrote that letter now, joke or not.


    I heard about this story on the radio on my way in to work this morning. They said he was writing it as a theraputic exercise. You know, just to vent with no intention of sending it out. Some teach got ahold of it and sent it home to all the parents.


    :lol: So much for therapy!
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    User avatar
    SadisticCynic
     
    Posts: 2004
    Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
    Location: In Time or in Space?

    Re: Home Schooling around the world

    Postby SandChigger » 03 Feb 2010 17:36

    And of course there will probably be no repercussions for the IDIOT that sent the letter home without checking with the principal first.

    If you ask me, THAT's who should be fired, because they're either not terribly bright to begin with, or they did it intentionally to damage the principal. Either way, not really someone who should be teaching young children.
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: Home Schooling around the world

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 03 Feb 2010 18:02

    That's what I was thinking myself.
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Re: Home Schooling around the world

    Postby Eyes High » 03 Feb 2010 18:38

    SandChigger wrote:And of course there will probably be no repercussions for the IDIOT that sent the letter home without checking with the principal first.

    If you ask me, THAT's who should be fired, because they're either not terribly bright to begin with, or they did it intentionally to damage the principal. Either way, not really someone who should be teaching young children.


    Who made the copies. I assume the man only wrote one letter, so how did it get from his desk to the copier to the teacher, or did the teacher copy it?

    So many questions, but yeah, the person who copied it may not have even read it, which is scary to me. Wouldn't a person want to make sure it had been proofread and double check that it was suppose to go out that day? Sounds like more than one person dropped the ball on this play.

    SadisticCynic wrote:
    Freakzilla wrote:
    Eyes High wrote:But still Wow! I bet he wishes he never wrote that letter now, joke or not.


    I heard about this story on the radio on my way in to work this morning. They said he was writing it as a theraputic exercise. You know, just to vent with no intention of sending it out. Some teach got ahold of it and sent it home to all the parents.


    :lol: So much for therapy!


    I've written/typed stuff before just to vent, but the key is: DESTROY THE EVIDENCE
    What fear is there in the night?
    Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
    User avatar
    Eyes High
    Patience Personified
     
    Posts: 2320
    Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
    Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

    Previous

    Return to ˱

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest