Moon Landings

Image
    Abandon all sanity, ye who enter here!

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 566
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Moon Landings

Postby Simon » 09 Sep 2011 01:15

This could be politics to some, history or sci-fi to others, but I have to ask: The Moon landings, real or fake, what do you think, and why?

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 566
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Moon Landings

Postby Simon » 09 Sep 2011 01:20

Oh, and I choose "politics" for this topic because the current Constellation program situation was what had given rise to this question (that and the science regarding our planet's radiation bands).

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Moon Landings

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 09 Sep 2011 01:29

Real, and anyone who honestly thinks otherwise needs to go learn some basic science. Every single thing that's ever been put forth as "proof" or "evidence" against the moon landings can be explained to be 100% bogus by a 10 year old.

Try me, there's not one single argument I can't counter. :wink: EDIT: unless the whackos have some new ones, then I might have to take 5-10 minutes to think, depending on how good of a job they did.

The fact that people even consider that the landings were fake based on the commonly brought up evidence makes me question the future of our species, it seriously does. I'd take someone more seriously arguing pretty much ANY other insane conspiracy theory, including the lizard people one!

Not saying you're one of these utter failures of human beings Simon, just saying that those people are in fact utter failures as human beings. :D

EDIT: Write this shit down in history people, this may be my single most opinionated and cut and dry harsh post EVER. :lol: Seriously, I've just had this conversation in real life and it blows my mind, I'd way rather argue with someone about the Earth being flat.
Image

User avatar
Hunchback Jack
Posts: 1982
Joined: 30 May 2008 15:02
Location: California, USA

Re: Moon Landings

Postby Hunchback Jack » 09 Sep 2011 01:34

Real, of course.

Read up on the Space Program. Every mission was an incremental development and test of the equipment and training needed to get to the moon. If you think nothing happened before july 20, 1969, then yes, it seems unbelievable that we did it. If you see what went before, it's *still* incredible, but believable.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Moon Landings

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 09 Sep 2011 02:42

And I'm bored so I seriously do want someone to try and bring something up that suggests we didn't go there! :D
Image

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 566
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Moon Landings

Postby Simon » 09 Sep 2011 03:31

Lol, no argument here. (Though I'm still curious about the specifics of the radiation band, the question being more like "How big a risk did they take exactly?" I wasn't aware of the added danger from nuclear testing of the time.) Seems that younger people (20-ish down) tend to doubt it, speaking of the majority I've encountered. Though of course their arguments tend to be cosmetic, in relation to film quality and edits the NASA public relations guys did back in the day. Rarely a science based approach, say on the gravity or light refraction.

*Also, pure trivia, who was your favorite capsule flyer (U.S or Russian, pre-Shuttle)?
Myself, I like John Young. His whole "I was to busy doing my job to be afraid" attitude is just right.

Lundse
Posts: 524
Joined: 01 Jul 2008 11:36
Location: Århus, Denmark

Re: Moon Landings

Postby Lundse » 09 Sep 2011 03:46

A Thing of Eternity wrote:EDIT: Write this shit down in history people, this may be my single most opinionated and cut and dry harsh post EVER. :lol: Seriously, I've just had this conversation in real life and it blows my mind, I'd way rather argue with someone about the Earth being flat.


Harsh but right on the money. The flat Earth theory is a lot more entertaining, true - "but planes fly straight, if the Earth was round, they'd go into space" is one of my favourites :-) Also;
"“It's easy to see how such a picture could fool the untrained eye"
- Samuel Shenton, president of the Flat Earth Society, when shown a picture of an Earthrise seen from the moon by a journalist.

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2830
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: Moon Landings

Postby Serkanner » 09 Sep 2011 06:39

Troll alert!!!!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18160
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Moon Landings

Postby Freakzilla » 09 Sep 2011 07:57

Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

Lundse
Posts: 524
Joined: 01 Jul 2008 11:36
Location: Århus, Denmark

Re: Moon Landings

Postby Lundse » 09 Sep 2011 08:23

Freakzilla wrote:http://www.space.com/12835-nasa-apollo-moon-landing-sites-photos-lro.html


Fake! Made in a (very tall) sound studio by... Kubrick. Yeah. He's not really dead, obviously. Geez, you sheeple will believe anything...

User avatar
JustSomeGuy
Posts: 791
Joined: 26 Feb 2011 03:02

Re: Moon Landings

Postby JustSomeGuy » 09 Sep 2011 08:45

We don't know anything, except what we're told.
Sheeple will believe just about anything.
People are sheeple, and we're all people.
I bring nothing to the table.

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Moon Landings

Postby SandChigger » 09 Sep 2011 09:36

Simon wrote:Rarely a science based approach, say on the gravity or light refraction.

Not surprising, given the way science has been downplayed in education.


Serkanner wrote:Troll alert!!!!

Not really, not this one, I don't think. ;)

User avatar
Spicelon
Posts: 703
Joined: 30 Mar 2008 23:31

Re: Moon Landings

Postby Spicelon » 09 Sep 2011 11:27

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Real, and anyone who honestly thinks otherwise needs to go learn some basic science. Every single thing that's ever been put forth as "proof" or "evidence" against the moon landings can be explained to be 100% bogus by a 10 year old.

Try me, there's not one single argument I can't counter. :wink: EDIT: unless the whackos have some new ones, then I might have to take 5-10 minutes to think, depending on how good of a job they did.

The fact that people even consider that the landings were fake based on the commonly brought up evidence makes me question the future of our species, it seriously does. I'd take someone more seriously arguing pretty much ANY other insane conspiracy theory, including the lizard people one!

Not saying you're one of these utter failures of human beings Simon, just saying that those people are in fact utter failures as human beings. :D

EDIT: Write this shit down in history people, this may be my single most opinionated and cut and dry harsh post EVER. :lol: Seriously, I've just had this conversation in real life and it blows my mind, I'd way rather argue with someone about the Earth being flat.


FUCKING A RIGHT ON DUDE! I honestly cannot take anyone seriously who questions the legitimacy of the moon landings. Their credibility and character are immediately called into question.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Moon Landings

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 09 Sep 2011 12:51

Good good good. Glad to see I don't have to smash any heads together.

Very few, even of the younger generation, actually doubt the landings. People under 20 are just having a laugh for conspiracy's sake - there's nothing amazing to them about going to the moon, why would they doubt it? To them it's just something we did way back in history (to me as well frankly), if you learn the science yes it's impressive, but until you learn the science it actually isn't impressive at all, it sounds damned easy in fact. Shoot a fucking rocket up there, land, come home, what's the big deal? :wink:
Image

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Moon Landings

Postby SandChigger » 09 Sep 2011 18:56

I was 8. I remember it. :)

I can't swear that it happened for real, but I did see the televised coverage...

User avatar
ULFsurfer
Posts: 270
Joined: 02 Apr 2011 21:20
Location: Among hills & coal mines

Re: Moon Landings

Postby ULFsurfer » 09 Sep 2011 21:15

Simon wrote:Lol, no argument here. (Though I'm still curious about the specifics of the radiation band, the question being more like "How big a risk did they take exactly?" I wasn't aware of the added danger from nuclear testing of the time.)


Hard to say how big risk the Apollo guys were taking, but they definitely did and were lucky that no Solar flares or Coronal Mass Ejections took place while they were out there. First of all, it is true that there can be some radiation at the Radiation Belt (thus the name!) and this is varying coherently with the 11-year Solar cycle. I even have a paper here showing that the highly energetic electron count can differ by a factor of 10 between the minimum and maximum - with some occasional extreme peaks. And Simon, you're right; this could pose a problem to astronauts just as it may do to satellites in geostationary orbit (which goes through this belt). And not only that, the Moon itself is mostly outside the protection of Earth's magnetic field and anything or anyone trying to take a walk on the surface will have to deal directly with whatever is thrown out from the Sun. But from what I understand the Apollo missions took place during minimal activity of the Sun and luckily avoided these nasty events.

I join the others with the statement that the Moon landings were true and I think it's an insult to the 100,000 people who made it come true to say otherwise. Unfortunately I have doubts we will go anywhere anytime soon mostly because of these radiation problems.. it's a bitch to solve. :-(

Someone please invent an anti-gravity machine?

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Moon Landings

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 09 Sep 2011 23:57

ULFsurfer wrote:Someone please invent an anti-gravity machine?


Ha, I know, right as soon as we figure out how to harness negative energy!

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again - we're not going to do ANYTHING signficant (in the way us SF people think of significant, I'm not saying what hasn't already been done isn't!) in space until we have mining and manufacturing in space, ie: the moon. Until then we ain't going anywhere.
Image

User avatar
JustSomeGuy
Posts: 791
Joined: 26 Feb 2011 03:02

Re: Moon Landings

Postby JustSomeGuy » 10 Sep 2011 07:56

Floating skateboards.
I bring nothing to the table.

User avatar
ULFsurfer
Posts: 270
Joined: 02 Apr 2011 21:20
Location: Among hills & coal mines

Re: Moon Landings

Postby ULFsurfer » 10 Sep 2011 10:26

2015!

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 566
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Moon Landings

Postby Simon » 11 Sep 2011 01:38

@Lundse- "Flat Earth Society", Wow. Now that you say it, I remember it, and again, WOW. People are cra-zy.

@Sandchigger- No trolling (I think? lol), the subject has just been on my mind, thought I'd see what you guys thought.
As for witnessing it, what was that like? I mean even today, to look at the footage, it's not so sharp. So on the old sets from the 60's I imagine it was even further diminished. What were your impressions at the time? How'd everyone around you ("the adults") react?

@ULFsurfer- Great response. And I agree, any serious proposition that the landings were faked, is insulting to the 400,000+ who made it happen (Egyptians are like-wise annoyed by suggestions that Atlantians built the Great Pyramids lol).

@A Thing of Eternity- Regarding the industrialization of space, I agree there as well. The moon is definitely the first step, but I think the entire solar system needs to be opened up before we make "SF fan type" progress. :) Sadly the estimates I'm hearing are, on average, 500 or so years, give or take a couple hundred depending on who you ask. :(
Last edited by Simon on 11 Sep 2011 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 566
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Moon Landings

Postby Simon » 11 Sep 2011 01:55

Buzz Aldrin's thoughts on the subject...

Image
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Moon Landings

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 11 Sep 2011 03:48

Simon wrote:@A Thing of Eternity- Regarding the industrialization of space, I agree there as well. The moon is definitely the first step, but I think the entire solar system needs to be opened up before we make "SF fan type" progress. :) Sadly the estimates I'm hearing are, on average, 500 or so years, give or take a couple hundred depending on who you ask. :(


Oh definitely, my main thing is just that we can't keep blasting shit into orbit. We'll never ever build anything signficant up there that way. We need to be mining and manufacturing up there in low grav before we could even build something puny like a space station that could house a hundred people.

I got into an argument on here once about the subject of building space stations to house people in case something happened to the Earth. The reality is that if we even wanted to build one that would house maybe a thousand people we'd bankrupt the entire planet, and it would maybe be able to last, oh, 30 years tops is my guess.

We need to figure out how to make mining automated, then put the bloody robots on the moon and let them just build more of themselves and stockpile materials until we're capable of doing anything with it. Then we can get rocking on it.

Of course something like a space elevator could work as well.
Image

User avatar
trang
Posts: 1223
Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
Location: Hot Tub Time Machine
Contact:

Re: Moon Landings

Postby trang » 11 Sep 2011 11:09

I was 3 when they landed so don't remember exactly, but have been enthusiast about the space program since I was about 7. Everyone has the right to doubt or question anything, but that doesnt make them right or less stupid.

I told someone the other day we started sending probes to mars in the mid sixties and on into the mid seventies with landers, they didn't believe me, they thought pathfinder was our first !! I said google it fuckhead, Mariner, Voyager and Viking.

The moon landings are pure reality, and people who challenge it are closer kin to neanderthal than homosapian, but are allowed to question what they like. I just hope they aren't breeding.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Image

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Moon Landings

Postby SandChigger » 11 Sep 2011 11:14

Simon wrote:@Sandchigger- No trolling (I think? lol), the subject has just been on my mind, thought I'd see what you guys thought.
As for witnessing it, what was that like? I mean even today, to look at the footage, it's not so sharp. So on the old sets from the 60's I imagine it was even further diminished. What were your impressions at the time? How'd everyone around you ("the adults") react?

Even at 8 I was the weird geeky kid into Star Trek and science fiction, so I was in seventh heaven, glued to the tube. Everyone else seemed to take it all matter-of-factly.

Was it HBJ that pointed out that the moon landing was the culmination of a long series of experimental/test missions in Earth orbit and one lunar orbital flight? It was something people had lived with in the background for years, and I never heard anything about it all being faked. (Of course, I was just a boy and we just had the news from the three main networks and local radio stations. Plus the local papers.) It was years before I heard any of the conspiracy theory nuttiness...

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Moon Landings

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 11 Sep 2011 11:45

trang wrote:I was 3 when they landed so don't remember exactly, but have been enthusiast about the space program since I was about 7. Everyone has the right to doubt or question anything, but that doesnt make them right or less stupid.


Oh yeah, to clarify my earlier rant, I don't have an issue with people questioning the moon landing(s), it's the evidence they use that makes me think they're idiots.

Kinda like 9/11 (hmmm, that's today, weird...), I'm not saying the US gov couldn't have been involved, I'm saying most of the evidence put forth is hogwash.

The moon landings are pure reality, and people who challenge it are closer kin to neanderthal than homosapian, but are allowed to question what they like. I just hope they aren't breeding.


:lol:
Image


Return to “˱”