Discribe the BG!

Image
    One of the two remaining Great Schools tasked with mentoring humanity

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

User avatar
SwordMaster
Freakbanned
Posts: 781
Joined: 24 Feb 2009 20:35
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Discribe the BG!

Postby SwordMaster » 13 Mar 2009 19:38

Short intro to the BG at the start of HoD if you have a minute.

It would be a huge help if you took a moment to try that for me, I need as many real Dune people to post their intro, or at least their place in the Dune universe, at the start of HoD

... no thoughts of non FH related garbage, as if I need to ask....

:roll:

Thank you
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1988
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Postby DuneFishUK » 13 Mar 2009 19:54

Which HoD? Be specific.

User avatar
SwordMaster
Freakbanned
Posts: 781
Joined: 24 Feb 2009 20:35
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby SwordMaster » 13 Mar 2009 20:37

DuneFishUK wrote:Which HoD? Be specific.


really?

Sorry let me be very clear

Heretics of Dune
Author Frank Herbert
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1988
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Postby DuneFishUK » 13 Mar 2009 20:44

Good good.... can't be too careful these days :P

(tbh though - it could have been an evaluation of how things stood at the start of D7 minus those two... obviously not though)

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 13 Mar 2009 21:56

Hunters is HuoD.

Pronounced (if at all) "Grunters".

Or like that grunt-thing the guy does in the opening theme of the old HBO show "OZ".

HUOD! Daaaa-na-na-na. HUOD! Daaa-na-na-na-naaaa! :wink:

User avatar
SwordMaster
Freakbanned
Posts: 781
Joined: 24 Feb 2009 20:35
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby SwordMaster » 14 Mar 2009 00:29

SandChigger wrote:Hunters is HuoD.

Pronounced (if at all) "Grunters".

Or like that grunt-thing the guy does in the opening theme of the old HBO show "OZ".

HUOD! Daaaa-na-na-na. HUOD! Daaa-na-na-na-naaaa! :wink:


I know you guys will come back and post one for me right.... :roll:
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.

User avatar
SwordMaster
Freakbanned
Posts: 781
Joined: 24 Feb 2009 20:35
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby SwordMaster » 17 Mar 2009 15:07

This has been an epic failure by me. SM = PHAIL

anyhow, here is my intro, please comment on it if you can

The BG is an all female group, dedicated to maintaining the survival of humanity. They have been responsible for various breeding programs through the millennia. They maintain influence with a vast political strength; they use sexual bonding to control males in positions of power; many of the BG agents are spread throughout the empire, using information and influence to ensure their power in order to continue their goal of preserving the human race.
Last edited by SwordMaster on 17 Mar 2009 21:01, edited 3 times in total.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 17 Mar 2009 17:00

(I think it was more a case of people not really being sure what you wanted. ;) )

Isn't "control" a bit strong? Wouldn't "influence" be more accurate? The former makes them sound too much like the Honored Matres... who of course developed in part from the BG, but they weren't the same.

User avatar
SwordMaster
Freakbanned
Posts: 781
Joined: 24 Feb 2009 20:35
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby SwordMaster » 17 Mar 2009 21:01

SwordMaster wrote:This has been an epic failure by me. SM = PHAIL

anyhow, here is my intro, please comment on it if you can

The BG is an all female group, dedicated to maintaining the survival of humanity. They have been responsible for various breeding programs through the millennia. They maintain influence with a vast political strength; they use sexual bonding to control males in positions of power; many of the BG agents are spread throughout the empire, using information and influence to ensure their power in order to continue their goal of preserving the human race.



change this to influence?
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18157
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 17 Mar 2009 21:10

I'm not sure the BG main objective was human survival. Leto chastises them in his carvings at Sietch Tabr, saying they saw the need for the GP but didn't act.

Up until the Atreides Dynasty, I think they were more into the evolution of humanity. They hoped to breed a superman to save humanity for them.

Afterwards, the ONLY objective was survival of The Sisterhood.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
SwordMaster
Freakbanned
Posts: 781
Joined: 24 Feb 2009 20:35
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby SwordMaster » 18 Mar 2009 18:51

Freakzilla wrote:I'm not sure the BG main objective was human survival. Leto chastises them in his carvings at Sietch Tabr, saying they saw the need for the GP but didn't act.

Up until the Atreides Dynasty, I think they were more into the evolution of humanity. They hoped to breed a superman to save humanity for them.

Afterwards, the ONLY objective was survival of The Sisterhood.


Did they operate under the false guise of safe guarding humanty then?
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18157
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 18 Mar 2009 19:05

SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I'm not sure the BG main objective was human survival. Leto chastises them in his carvings at Sietch Tabr, saying they saw the need for the GP but didn't act.

Up until the Atreides Dynasty, I think they were more into the evolution of humanity. They hoped to breed a superman to save humanity for them.

Afterwards, the ONLY objective was survival of The Sisterhood.


Did they operate under the false guise of safe guarding humanty then?


First, you'll have to provide a quote saying that is what they were doing.

They were practicing politics in the guise of teachers, which should be a lesson in itself to us all.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Hunchback Jack
Posts: 1982
Joined: 30 May 2008 15:02
Location: California, USA

Postby Hunchback Jack » 18 Mar 2009 19:07

Their whole "greater purpose" was a secret, wasn't it? Didn't they act as advisers, and rent out their powers to leaders, etc. Rent-a-witch?

Edited to add: What Freak said :)

HBJ

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18157
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 18 Mar 2009 19:14

Of course, one of their main services was truthsaying, which I'm sure was a great front for a spy, just think of the influence RM Mohiam had on Shaddam IV, not to mention his audience.

They also obviously provided "finished" young women to Royal Houses wich worked out nicely with their breeding program.

They also acted as arbitrators, the political benifits there are obvious, too.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Postby Redstar » 18 Mar 2009 19:52

For some reason when I think of the BG as a whole I can't help but imagine them as nothing more than children playing in Leto's sandbox.

User avatar
SwordMaster
Freakbanned
Posts: 781
Joined: 24 Feb 2009 20:35
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby SwordMaster » 19 Mar 2009 12:02

Freakzilla wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I'm not sure the BG main objective was human survival. Leto chastises them in his carvings at Sietch Tabr, saying they saw the need for the GP but didn't act.

Up until the Atreides Dynasty, I think they were more into the evolution of humanity. They hoped to breed a superman to save humanity for them.

Afterwards, the ONLY objective was survival of The Sisterhood.


Did they operate under the false guise of safe guarding humanty then?


First, you'll have to provide a quote saying that is what they were doing.

They were practicing politics in the guise of teachers, which should be a lesson in itself to us all.


Looking for quotes right now, in relation to the KH and I think they were more interested in Power then Humanity.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.

User avatar
Phaedrus
Posts: 551
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 04:35

Re: Discribe the BG!

Postby Phaedrus » 21 Apr 2009 01:47

Some quotes from Chapterhouse:

"You're farmers," he said. "That's what you Bene Gesserit really do."
She saw immediately what had happened, Mentat training coming out in him without his knowing. Best not explore that yet. "We are concerned with everything that grows, Miles. It was perceptive of you to see this."

Bell said there were no limits beyond which the Sisterhood would refuse to go in preserving the Bene Gesserit. A modicum of truth in this boast but it was the truth of all boasting. There were indeed things a Reverend Mother would not do to save the Sisterhood.
We would not block the Tyrant's Golden Path.
Survival of humankind took precedence over survival of the Sisterhood. Else our grail of human maturity is meaningless.


The Bene Gesserit's secret purpose was that: to mature humanity. They believed that Leto preserved them for this purpose, because they alone hold the key to humanity's past in their Other Memory. No one else has the thread of connection to a common past, and no one else has quite the understanding of humanity that they have.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

User avatar
Rakis
Posts: 1583
Joined: 16 Feb 2008 00:00

Re: Discribe the BG!

Postby Rakis » 21 Apr 2009 08:00

Phaedrus wrote:Some quotes from Chapterhouse:

"You're farmers," he said. "That's what you Bene Gesserit really do."
She saw immediately what had happened, Mentat training coming out in him without his knowing. Best not explore that yet. "We are concerned with everything that grows, Miles. It was perceptive of you to see this."

Bell said there were no limits beyond which the Sisterhood would refuse to go in preserving the Bene Gesserit. A modicum of truth in this boast but it was the truth of all boasting. There were indeed things a Reverend Mother would not do to save the Sisterhood.
We would not block the Tyrant's Golden Path.
Survival of humankind took precedence over survival of the Sisterhood. Else our grail of human maturity is meaningless.


The Bene Gesserit's secret purpose was that: to mature humanity. They believed that Leto preserved them for this purpose, because they alone hold the key to humanity's past in their Other Memory. No one else has the thread of connection to a common past, and no one else has quite the understanding of humanity that they have.


Is it me, or this is not apparent in GEoD? The BG seem to feel like they are prisoners of Leto's regime (i.e. He stopped their breeding program,cut the spice, etc). Is this a realization they made only in HoD or before? :|
Image

User avatar
SwordMaster
Freakbanned
Posts: 781
Joined: 24 Feb 2009 20:35
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Discribe the BG!

Postby SwordMaster » 21 Apr 2009 08:27

Rakis wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:Some quotes from Chapterhouse:

"You're farmers," he said. "That's what you Bene Gesserit really do."
She saw immediately what had happened, Mentat training coming out in him without his knowing. Best not explore that yet. "We are concerned with everything that grows, Miles. It was perceptive of you to see this."

Bell said there were no limits beyond which the Sisterhood would refuse to go in preserving the Bene Gesserit. A modicum of truth in this boast but it was the truth of all boasting. There were indeed things a Reverend Mother would not do to save the Sisterhood.
We would not block the Tyrant's Golden Path.
Survival of humankind took precedence over survival of the Sisterhood. Else our grail of human maturity is meaningless.


The Bene Gesserit's secret purpose was that: to mature humanity. They believed that Leto preserved them for this purpose, because they alone hold the key to humanity's past in their Other Memory. No one else has the thread of connection to a common past, and no one else has quite the understanding of humanity that they have.


Is it me, or this is not apparent in GEoD? The BG seem to feel like they are prisoners of Leto's regime (i.e. He stopped their breeding program,cut the spice, etc). Is this a realization they made only in HoD or before? :|


No quotes from before, it seems that LetoII did change the sisterhood, I would imagine before it was only about their own survival, once Leto began the golden path, they got out of its way.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18157
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Discribe the BG!

Postby Freakzilla » 21 Apr 2009 09:23

In HoD and CH:D, NOTHING is more important to a BG that survival of The Sisterhood. They just had to get back into mainstream humanity.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
SwordMaster
Freakbanned
Posts: 781
Joined: 24 Feb 2009 20:35
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Discribe the BG!

Postby SwordMaster » 21 Apr 2009 10:09

Freakzilla wrote:In HoD and CH:D, NOTHING is more important to a BG that survival of The Sisterhood. They just had to get back into mainstream humanity.



This got me thinking, the devide in the BG about the Duncan ghola and obviously, the chance of interfearence with eth GP, is that at the core of the fued within the sisterhood, the BG civil war based on "survival of the BG vs. maintaining the GP" ?

Is that too much of a stretch?
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.

User avatar
SadisticCynic
Posts: 2023
Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
Location: In Time or in Space?

Re: Discribe the BG!

Postby SadisticCynic » 21 Apr 2009 10:17

I understood the feud to be whether or not another Kwisatz Haderach would be created by accident, thus renewing the restrictions on the Bene Gesserit. That was their utmost fear. Cf. the careful watch on people like Odrade.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity

User avatar
SwordMaster
Freakbanned
Posts: 781
Joined: 24 Feb 2009 20:35
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Discribe the BG!

Postby SwordMaster » 21 Apr 2009 10:33

SadisticCynic wrote:I understood the feud to be whether or not another Kwisatz Haderach would be created by accident, thus renewing the restrictions on the Bene Gesserit. That was their utmost fear. Cf. the careful watch on people like Odrade.


Did they fear another KH because it would interfear with the GP?
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.

User avatar
SadisticCynic
Posts: 2023
Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
Location: In Time or in Space?

Re: Discribe the BG!

Postby SadisticCynic » 21 Apr 2009 10:36

They didn't want to be enslaved the way Leto enslaved them so I suppose that is part of the unfolding of the Golden Path; Leto's Peace makes everyone want to break away.

They were afraid of what another Kwisatz Haderach could do to the Universe.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity

User avatar
SwordMaster
Freakbanned
Posts: 781
Joined: 24 Feb 2009 20:35
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Discribe the BG!

Postby SwordMaster » 21 Apr 2009 10:41

SadisticCynic wrote:They didn't want to be enslaved the way Leto enslaved them so I suppose that is part of the unfolding of the Golden Path; Leto's Peace makes everyone want to break away.

They were afraid of what another Kwisatz Haderach could do to the Universe.


And that is brake the GP. I think we are saying the same thing here, they were even concerned that Sheeana would disturb what was left of Leto in the worms.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.


Return to “˱”