Page 1 of 1

DE references in Heretics and Chapterhouse

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 08:55
by Rymoah
Not that I want to discuss again the canonicity of McNelly's Dune Encyclopedia, but I'd like to know if any effort has been made in trying to trace all the possible references to the DE that Frank Herbert put in his last two books of the Chronicles.

For example, I just found this:

Frank Herbert in Chapterhouse:Dune wrote:She fell into a semi-reverie, still alert to the sounds behind her, but relishing the evidence of new victories that had been displayed to her this morning. She liked to roll the names of captive planets silently on her tongue.

Wallach, Kronin, Reenol, Ecaz, Bela Tegeuse, Gammu, Gamont, Niushe...


Contributor of Ampoliros entry in the DE wrote:AMPOLIROS, LEGEND OF. A pre-Guild legend appearing on many planets, including Arrakis, Ix, Kronin, Reenol, Ecaz, Caladan, Bela Tegeuse, Giedi Prime, Gamont and all the planets of Niushe.


If I'm not mistaken, Kronin and Reenol aren't referenced in any other book in the Chronicles.

Rymoah

Re: DE references in Heretics and Chapterhouse

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 10:17
by inhuien
I've not heard of any such undertaking.

Re: DE references in Heretics and Chapterhouse

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 10:25
by SandChigger
Rymoah wrote:I'd like to know if any effort has been made in trying to trace all the possible references to the DE that Frank Herbert put in his last two books of the Chronicles.

Not that I know of; interesting.

If I'm not mistaken, Kronin and Reenol aren't referenced in any other book in the Chronicles.

So it seems. Nice catch.

(If this is original to McNelly, it would be fantastic, because The Hacks Twain reference Kronin in House Corrino. :lol: )

Re: DE references in Heretics and Chapterhouse

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 10:44
by lotek
Yup I'd be interested to know who came first, the chicken or the egg ^^

Well done Rymoah !

You are a true cherry-picker (which is a compliment here, as over at dungnovels it was used as an insult against me) !

Re: DE references in Heretics and Chapterhouse

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 11:13
by Rymoah
SandChigger wrote:So it seems. Nice catch.

(If this is original to McNelly, it would be fantastic, because The Hacks Twain reference Kronin in House Corrino. :lol: )


:lol: I didn't remember Kronin appeared also in House Corrino. I noticed that the Ampoliros entry is one of those which lack initials at the end of the article -- can't tell if its author is exactly McNelly or one of the other contributors.

lotek wrote:You are a true cherry-picker (which is a compliment here, as over at dungnovels it was used as an insult against me) !


I must have missed that, it's long time I (fortunately!) don't lurk or post on the "official" board. Anyway, thanks! :)

Rymoah

Re: DE references in Heretics and Chapterhouse

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 12:59
by lotek
it was a while ago, my blaze of glory was short and byron must have erased my posts quickly. Now all my ips are banned so I haven't been back there since.
Not that it matters.

Re: DE references in Heretics and Chapterhouse

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 14:08
by Freakzilla
To do such a thing one would need an intimate knowledge of the DE while reading through HoD and CH:D.

It's a good idea, though.

It's been a long time since I read the entire DE, maybe I'll do that after GEoD this time around.

Re: DE references in Heretics and Chapterhouse

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 04:38
by Rymoah
Freakzilla wrote:To do such a thing one would need an intimate knowledge of the DE while reading through HoD and CH:D.

It's a good idea, though.

It's been a long time since I read the entire DE, maybe I'll do that after GEoD this time around.


Well, I am reading and analysing the DE for the Wiki we started at DuneItalia, but it'll definitely take an immense amount of time (and you can deduce it by observing the entry I've arrived at :D). Furthermore, my re-reading of the Chronicles stuck after book I in Dune, but I'll try anyway to report in this thread all the other references in HoD and CH:D while I'm reading through the DE.

Rymoah