Alleged Cliff-Hanger: There is no "Dune 7"

Dune 7

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, SandRider

lotek

Re: Alleged Cliff-Hanger: There is no "Dune 7"

Postby lotek » 23 Aug 2019 14:51

Probably because what he found was not worthy of being called an outline in his eyes.
Love you always Omphalos
Spice is the worm's gonads.

Cpt. Aramsham

Postby Cpt. Aramsham » 28 Aug 2019 03:03

I suppose, but in that case I would disagree. Just for Dune there are at least five different documents/texts among the Fullerton papers that I would consider outlines: Two brief plot summaries; two chapter-by-chapter breakdowns with "bullet points" for the developments in that chapter; and various loose notes that describe the contents planned for particular chapters, scenes or storylines. I have a hard time seeing what an "outline" would mean that is not covered by any of these.

Of course, again, it is too late to have that debate. But I guess my point is that saying the Dune 7 outline doesn't exists because Frank Herbert didn't make outlines is false.

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Postby Freakzilla » 01 Sep 2019 17:40

Can't prove something doesn't exist
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Postby Freakzilla » 01 Sep 2019 17:42

I asked KJA a few years ago at Dragon*Con, while signing my hardcover of Road to Dune :wink: if they'd ever publish the notes and outline, and he said, "everything worth publishing is in that book (RtD).
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

Cpt. Aramsham

Postby Cpt. Aramsham » 02 Sep 2019 05:40

And I would disagree with that as well. (Though from what we have seen, it's true that The Road to Dune includes much of the coherent material that is clearly distinct from material in the finished version of Dune, i.e. not simply earlier drafts of scenes in the finished book.)

Of course, "what's worth publishing" is a very subjective question, except perhaps from a commercial point of view. I'm sure fans like us would be thrilled with a work along the lines of The History of The Hobbit (which I think is a better parallel than Christopher Tolkien's History of Middle-Earth, since the development of Dune was much less complex than JRR Tolkien's legendarium as a whole), with the complete manuscript history of the work along with analysis and commentary. Perhaps something similar for the rest of the series as well. But it's hard to tell whether such a book would actually sell enough to pay for all the work that would be required to produce it.

distrans

Postby distrans » 10 Oct 2019 00:34

on three occasions
ive bought every one of brains works sitting there on the [used] shelf

and burned them...

and hats off to whomever beat me to it a week ago here in riverside

bless you...