• Login
  •          

Alleged Cliff-Hanger: There is no "Dune 7"

Dune 7

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, SandRider

Re: Alleged Cliff-Hanger: There is no "Dune 7"

Postby Naïve mind » 29 Aug 2012 13:47

gurensan wrote:Still want to see these ... "notes."

Want 'em unedited, unabridged, unfucked. Organized by either plot line or by character arc. Even FH couldn't have kept *everything* in his head.

Of course, having the notes wouldn't tell you which story lines Herbert would've dismissed later on. Or changed beyond comprehension. It'd give you the idea, but not the execution.

"Paul's son turns into a giant sandworm" would've been a perfectly adequate note for Children of Dune and God-Emperor ... and probably would've sounded completely ridiculous to someone who had just read the first novel in 1966.

In that sense, I can understand KJA putting the blame for the poor reception of Dune 7's on Frank Herbert's notes. A man's writing should aspire to more than badly edited free association.
    Naïve mind

Postby Omphalos » 29 Aug 2012 16:41

Naïve mind wrote:

Want 'em unedited, unabridged, unfucked. Organized by either plot line or by character arc. Even FH couldn't have kept *everything* in his head.

Of course, having the notes wouldn't tell you which story lines Herbert would've dismissed later on. Or changed beyond comprehension. It'd give you the idea, but not the execution.

"Paul's son turns into a giant sandworm" would've been a perfectly adequate note for Children of Dune and God-Emperor ... and probably would've sounded completely ridiculous to someone who had just read the first novel in 1966.

In that sense, I can understand KJA putting the blame for the poor reception of Dune 7's on Frank Herbert's notes. A man's writing should aspire to more than badly edited free association.

Bullshit. Don't believe a word of what these two fucktards say. There was no "outline." When Herbert got an idea for a character he didn't sit down and put it on paper. He cut out magazine photos and put images together like Jim Carey's character did in The Truman Show. When he got a story idea he sat down and typed a story or a passage, or put together research together and saved it with margin notes until he was ready to take a crack. Or he wrote a long letter to someone to bounce the idea off of them and see what they thought. He never, ever sat down and did a "I., A., 1., a.," type of thing. Ive been to the Herbert archives in Fullerton three times and I have seen every damn thing that someone though to save from his office, and there is nothing of the kind in there. I've looked through the files for all of his surviving newspaper articles and there is not one damn outline anywhere in there.

Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson are lying liars of lies. There is no truth at all to what they say. Not even a kernel.
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Postby trang » 29 Aug 2012 18:04

Omphalos wrote:
    Naïve mind wrote:

Bullshit. Don't believe a word of what these two fucktards say. There was no "outline." When Herbert got an idea for a character he didn't sit down and put it on paper. He cut out magazine photos and put images together like Jim Carey's character did in The Truman Show. When he got a story idea he sat down and typed a story or a passage, or put together research together and saved it with margin notes until he was ready to take a crack. Or he wrote a long letter to someone to bounce the idea off of them and see what they thought. He never, ever sat down and did a "I., A., 1., a.," type of thing. Ive been to the Herbert archives in Fullerton three times and I have seen every damn thing that someone though to save from his office, and there is nothing of the kind in there. I've looked through the files for all of his surviving newspaper articles and there is not one damn outline anywhere in there.

Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson are lying liars of lies. There is no truth at all to what they say. Not even a kernel.

So let me get this straight.. they are liars and there was no outline... just making sure:)
    Got it:)
    "Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
    But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.."
    trang

Postby queotic » 05 Sep 2012 06:46

certainly possible. I've considered wither the dune 7 book would be placed even further in the future and not be centered around the no-ship but rather a universe with them removed.

Going with Herbert's habit of hiding things in plain sight, I believe that, if there were to be a "Dune 7," it would have been set 10,000 years after the events of Children of Dune. In Heretics, one of the epigraphs is:

Ten thousand years since Leto II began his metamorphosis from human into the sandworm of Rakis and historians still argue over his motives. Was he driven by the desire for long life? He lived more than ten times the normal span of three hundred SY, but consider the price he paid. Was it the lure of power? He is called the Tyrant for good reason but what did power bring him that a human might want? Was he driven to save humankind from itself? We have only his own words about his Golden Path to answer this and I cannot accept the self-serving records of Dar-es-Balat. Might there have been other gratifications, which only his experiences would illuminate? Without better evidence the question is moot. We are reduced to saying only that "He did it!" The physical fact alone is undeniable.

-The Metamorphosis of Leto II, 10,000th Anniversary Peroration by Gaus Andaud
    queotic

Previous

Return to ˱