• Register
  • Login
  •          

Chapter 35

ʙᴏᴏᴋ ᴏɴᴇ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴜɴᴇ ᴄʜʀᴏɴɪᴄʟᴇꜱ

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Chapter 35

Postby Freakzilla » 12 Feb 2008 17:57

The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the
    terrors of the future.

-from "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen kills his one hundredth slave gladiator in the arena with Count and Lady Fenring in attendance. Before the games the Baron has a talk with the Count. The emperor doesn't like how the Sardaukar have been ordered off Arrakis but the Baron was affraid the emperor's hand in helping him might be exposed. The emperor wants to look at the Baron's books too. Fenring hints that the Emperor will charge him with crimes against the Imperium if he should think of betraying the Baron. The Baron secretly hopes he will, this is exactly what the Houses of the Landsraad fear, the Sardaukar picking them off one by one. They would rally around the Baron and he could be emperor in his lifetime.

Feyd and Hawat have planned a show for the games, usually the slave gladiators are drugged but this one won't be. However, his psyche has been implanted with the word "scum" to momentarily imobilize his muscles. Also, Feyd has switched which of his knifes traditionally holds the poison, even Hawat doesn't know about that. The crowd and those who are knowledgeable about such things realize the slave isn't drugged when he comes out. Feyd recognizes him as one of the Duke's fighting men taken from Arrakis. He puts up a good fight but Feyd's secretly poisoned wrong knife saves him, before the poison fully takes effect, the slave falls on his own knife. The crowd wants Feyd to cut off his head but he refuses and orders the man burried intact with his knife in his hand. The crowd goes wild and the Baron orders a fete then goes off to kill the slavemaster for this treachery. The Count and Lady Fenring notice this, she plans to seduce Feyd to preserve his bloodline, she also plans to implant words in his psyche to make him more easily controled. The Count thinks it's a shame they couldn't have saved Paul, Margot says the Bene Gesserit have a saying, don't count a man dead until you see his body, even then you can make a mistake.
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Chapter 35

Postby nampigai » 06 Mar 2010 17:45

I'm wondering - at a time the Count and the lady Margot are discussing the blood line and he says "yes, and I can see now why we must have that bloodline" and later "the things we do in the name of humanity". What I'm wondering is; is the Count controlled by the Bene Gesserit? I never gave this much thought but it would make some sense - I'm thinking of the end of the book (I'll not say more so I wont spoil for first time readers)
    Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
    - Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
    nampigai

Postby SadisticCynic » 06 Mar 2010 18:27

I always interpreted the Count's "The things we do for humanity" statement as him letting someone else have his wife but you might be onto something there.
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    SadisticCynic

Postby nampigai » 06 Mar 2010 18:40

SadisticCynic wrote:I always interpreted the Count's "The things we do for humanity" statement as him letting someone else have his wife but you might be onto something there.

I just don't get what he would need that bloodline for. He doesn't have any breeding program himself, he was - however - a part of that of the Bene Gesserit.
    Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
    - Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
    nampigai

Postby Freakzilla » 03 Apr 2010 05:21

nampigai wrote:What I'm wondering is; is the Count controlled by the Bene Gesserit?

Who isn't?

Maybe "used" is a better choice of a word than "controlled".
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Freakzilla

Postby JimmytheT » 20 Nov 2011 00:43

There are so many parts of this chapter that I enjoy:

-First look at the Fenring's; I find Hasmir's manner of speaking annoying (in a good way). All those "uuuhhhmm"s and "aahhh"s piss me off because it reads like I am actually in the room hearing him talk slowly with these devious pauses.

-This chapter really solidifies the Harkonnen nobility's penchant for cruelty and sadistic nature. The fact that a 17 year old boy is about to kill his 100th "gladiator"--all of which to this point have clearly been drugged for easy slaughter--is enough to make one cringe.

-The way the fight is goes down along with Feyd's trecherous switch of poisonous blades makes you appreciate Feyd's prowess and at the same time helps to sets up the finale of the story almost perfectly. You really want Feyd to take it in the chin following his victory.

If I am not mistaken, is not Fenring a eunuch? If so that helps to explain his fealty to the Bene Gesserit, and the ease with which he openly accepts cuckolding.
    Your life story would not make a good book. Don't even try.
    -Fran Lebowitz
    JimmytheT

Postby Freakzilla » 04 Jan 2012 11:43

Wow, we got way off-topic on that one, mostly my fault.

nampigai wrote:
    SadisticCynic wrote:I always interpreted the Count's "The things we do for humanity" statement as him letting someone else have his wife but you might be onto something there.

I just don't get what he would need that bloodline for. He doesn't have any breeding program himself, he was - however - a part of that of the Bene Gesserit.

After reading this chapter again I'm certain that Fenring in league with the Bene Gesserit. He and Margot are certainly working as a team towards the same goals.
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Freakzilla

Postby Freakzilla » 04 Jan 2012 11:44

JimmytheT wrote:If I am not mistaken, is not Fenring a eunuch? If so that helps to explain his fealty to the Bene Gesserit, and the ease with which he openly accepts cuckolding.

Yes, this is mentioned in the epigraph of a previous chater.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Freakzilla

Return to ˲