Whipping Star

Image
    Non-Dune Frank Herbert Book Discussion

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla, Mr. Teg

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Postby orald » 23 May 2008 06:27

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Writing style is closer to D:V than Dune.

D:V? IDK, it's a bit too technical for Whipping Star.

I think maybe The Godmakers(?) or The Heaven Makers are closer, as they focus more on 1 or 2 char's, instead of D:V jumping around a bit.
Or even Dragon In the Sea/Under Pressure.

I'd say all the ConSentiency books are a bit like Asimov's Alija Bailey(?) books, i.e the early robots series when it was more of a detective story, only FH's are packed with some philosophy.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

User avatar
Mr. Teg
Moderator
Posts: 699
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
Location: Chair
Contact:

Postby Mr. Teg » 23 May 2008 09:56

Tleilax Master B wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Writing style is closer to D:V than Dune.

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read Destination Void either :oops:

But, it is on the list. Its about time for my yearly run through the Dune series again :wink:


Dude, gotta read Destination Void.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP

User avatar
Dune Nerd
Posts: 168
Joined: 30 Apr 2008 12:30

Postby Dune Nerd » 23 Jun 2008 17:48

Mr. Teg wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Writing style is closer to D:V than Dune.

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read Destination Void either :oops:

But, it is on the list. Its about time for my yearly run through the Dune series again :wink:


Dude, gotta read Destination Void.


Yes yes you do, it is a mind bender for sure.

Back on topic, I just finished reading Whipping Star and it was sweetness. Nice story plus there was decent science discussion and I love the sentients that FH includes in this story. Top notch.

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 23 Jun 2008 18:03

Dune Nerd wrote:
Mr. Teg wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Writing style is closer to D:V than Dune.

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read Destination Void either :oops:

But, it is on the list. Its about time for my yearly run through the Dune series again :wink:


Dude, gotta read Destination Void.


Yes yes you do, it is a mind bender for sure.

Back on topic, I just finished reading Whipping Star and it was sweetness. Nice story plus there was decent science discussion and I love the sentients that FH includes in this story. Top notch.


Read Dosadi Experiment yet? Do it. Immediatly. :D

I didn't really get much "science" out of Whipping Star, people keep saying that, but that's not what I thought it's strength was. Maybe I'm not including some concepts under science that I should be? I wouldn't mind hearing your take on this.

I found it to concentrate much more on the perception of reality and other philosophical themes like the nature of communication. Is that what everyone (I've heard Byron comment on this too) means by this being a "hard" science novel? Because by my standards, which are admittedly pretty strict, this is more medium boiled SF than hard. Maybe I need to go back and read this one again to see what I missed...
Image

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 23 Jun 2008 19:15

I have to give another "Harumph!" to D:V. I loved it. The ending really grabs ya by the booboo.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Dune Nerd
Posts: 168
Joined: 30 Apr 2008 12:30

Postby Dune Nerd » 23 Jun 2008 23:47

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Dune Nerd wrote:
Mr. Teg wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Writing style is closer to D:V than Dune.

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read Destination Void either :oops:

But, it is on the list. Its about time for my yearly run through the Dune series again :wink:


Dude, gotta read Destination Void.


Yes yes you do, it is a mind bender for sure.

Back on topic, I just finished reading Whipping Star and it was sweetness. Nice story plus there was decent science discussion and I love the sentients that FH includes in this story. Top notch.


Read Dosadi Experiment yet? Do it. Immediatly. :D

I didn't really get much "science" out of Whipping Star, people keep saying that, but that's not what I thought it's strength was. Maybe I'm not including some concepts under science that I should be? I wouldn't mind hearing your take on this.

I found it to concentrate much more on the perception of reality and other philosophical themes like the nature of communication. Is that what everyone (I've heard Byron comment on this too) means by this being a "hard" science novel? Because by my standards, which are admittedly pretty strict, this is more medium boiled SF than hard. Maybe I need to go back and read this one again to see what I missed...


Have read Dosadi, also top notch and enjoyed it thoroughly. Have to say though while recommendations are being handed out you should read D:V, some of the best fiction to be put into print.

Whipping star, I agree that it discusses lots of concepts in philosophy and communication but those are not my strong points so I focused more on the bits of science that it actually has in it. Anymore most sci-fi completely ignores the science and acts like we are dumb but in this novel it did discuss some technical topics.

Maybe instead of science I should have said mathematics, to me science is mathematics with appropriate labels. I can't remember off the top of my head but I know that there was some logic games that McKie plays that are quite well done. As well as other examples that I can't thing of due to lack of sleep, newborns are great for the brain!

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Postby orald » 24 Jun 2008 09:54

Freakzilla wrote:I have to give another "Harumph!" to D:V. I loved it. The ending really grabs ya by the booboo.

I'm still tempted to type it here...Ah damn FH and his catchy phrases! :D
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.



I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 24 Jun 2008 10:23

orald wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I have to give another "Harumph!" to D:V. I loved it. The ending really grabs ya by the booboo.

I'm still tempted to type it here...Ah damn FH and his catchy phrases! :D


NOOOOOOOOO!!!
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Hunchback Jack
Posts: 1982
Joined: 30 May 2008 15:02
Location: California, USA

Postby Hunchback Jack » 21 Oct 2008 17:33

I just recently finished Whipping Star and Dosadi Experiment. Great books.

Whipping Star has some of the hallmarks of a typical sixties SF novel - a central mystery, a brave male protagonist, aliens, and future tech as envisioned at the time.

What raises it above the typical pulp fare is its focus on ideas rather than the breathless action you would find in a sixties-era Heinlein, for example. In others' hands, the extended conversation between McKie and Fanny Mae, for example, would be a disaster, but Herbert's portrayal of the difficulties in communicating with something utterly unlike us is masterful.

Summary: Herbert's sixties SF pulp is deeper and more complex than most other authors' best work.

HBJ

User avatar
dunaddict
Posts: 211
Joined: 24 Sep 2008 09:09
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Whipping Star

Postby dunaddict » 22 Jun 2010 11:28

Read it. Pretty funny. Pacifist torturer Abnethe. Rug-dogs. :D
Dragged a bit in the middle after 20+ arms had been chopped off. Got a headache trying to understand Fanny Mae.
Will read Dosadi soon.

User avatar
lotek
Posts: 5735
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

Re: Whipping Star

Postby lotek » 22 Jun 2010 11:41

I read Whipping Star when in my early teens, it was great to be so challenged and knowing you could read it as many times as you liked until you got it right... Funny enough I did not get the pun in the title for quite a while :)

Did someone already point this out:
in Road to Dune, tweedledee and dum coughed up this thing called "Dune: Whipping Mek"
They even steal stuff from not Dune books the cheek of these guys will never cease to amaze me...
and then I :puke:
Spice is the worm's gonads.

distrans
Posts: 338
Joined: 04 Jan 2013 01:06

Re: Whipping Star

Postby distrans » 17 Jan 2013 19:48

that bit in dosadi where hes suddenly dropped off without anything to help and has to wait and see
reminds me of stories alot of special teams types tell

i suspect frank bought alot of drinks for known killers fleshing things out

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Whipping Star

Postby inhuien » 18 Jan 2013 07:53

I have no idea what you're referring to here, Why not open a new thread on The Dosadi Experiment so we can get some details.
Image


Return to “˱”