Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

    The films, miniseries, music, video games, etc...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

the rev
Posts: 20
Joined: 22 Feb 2019 17:35

Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby the rev » 23 Jul 2021 08:52

We're a month and a half away from the new Dune film's first showing, in October it'll be released in the USA. The big question is will it suck? Probably not, it's too big to fail but it could be very mediocre. Just started arguing with someone at Facebook, who was upset that I said Dune was science fiction. The consensus seems to be it's a medieval fantasy tale. This is why the movie will be disappointing. Really, I came here to complain about the movie and how it will be more similar to Lynch's Dune and the media's idea of what Dune is. Instead of Frank's Dune. I admit I enjoy Lynch's Dune quite a bit, because it's Lynch not because it's Dune. It's a silly movie and a monumental waste.

georgiedenbro
Posts: 937
Joined: 11 Jun 2014 13:56
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby georgiedenbro » 28 Jul 2021 10:09

My estimation of Villeneuve's recent work is that Dune will be competent but uninspired. I expect a paint-by-numbers film that does the scenes reasonably reliably with none of it being particularly riveting. And maybe more importantly, I don't think the director will take a hard stand on the core themes; i.e. he'll just stick to the plot and not give a clear thesis. Just as an example, I expect Paul will be shown as the great hero, rather than as the charismatic leader the people should be wary of. In the book this is shown through Paul's own inner monologue, where he's all too aware of what he's doing. Another example is the ending. Lynch's Dune shows Paul as the great savior, which I suspect is the common reading of the book. I doubt Villeneuve will go the extra mile and show that Paul simply fails to find a path that avoids the jihad, and so only succeeds at initiating a bloodbath.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"

User avatar
Naib
Posts: 393
Joined: 30 Jan 2014 15:54

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby Naib » 31 Jul 2021 14:50

My expectations are very low for this film. The costuming alone has me scratching my head. Who would wear heavy armour in the heat of Arrakis? The high-wire kung fu seems out of place from the little I've seen. I fully expect Villeneuve will give us a cursory look at the story and favour of a lot of cgi action in easily digested sequences.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18369
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby Freakzilla » 13 Aug 2021 07:13

I'm alarmed by the lack of dialogue from the book in the trailers. I expect to be disappointed .
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Naib
Posts: 393
Joined: 30 Jan 2014 15:54

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby Naib » 15 Aug 2021 10:26

I find the dialogue I've heard in the trailers very alarming. Villeneuve seems to have taken upon himself to make the script more 'street'.

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3638
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby inhuien » 19 Aug 2021 04:20

Interesting change of PoV for Dune PT 2. :text-bump:

User avatar
Naib
Posts: 393
Joined: 30 Jan 2014 15:54

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby Naib » 19 Aug 2021 09:16

That lets Denis make up whatever he wants to fit within his 'vison' of Dune. Are we quite sure he's not adapting Doon?

User avatar
Naib
Posts: 393
Joined: 30 Jan 2014 15:54

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby Naib » 03 Sep 2021 15:30

First review is up:

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/dune-review-denis-villeneuve-1234660459/

None to complimentary but about what I expected.

famicommander
Posts: 28
Joined: 03 Sep 2021 17:15

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby famicommander » 04 Sep 2021 11:25

Naib wrote:First review is up:

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/dune-review-denis-villeneuve-1234660459/

None to complimentary but about what I expected.

That's like the most negative review out there. The reception has been overwhelmingly positive overall.

Reviews with a score:
Xan Brooks, The Guardian: 5/5
Clarisse Loughrey, Independent (UK): 5/5
Robbie Collins, Telegraph: 5/5
Ben Travis, Empire Magazine: 5/5
JimmyO, JoBlo's Movie Network: 10/10
James Mottram, Total Film/SCMP/Games Radar: 5/5
Michael Rougeau, Gamespot: 10/10
Adam Solomons, Awards Watch: A
David Crow, Den of Geek: 4.5/5
Marshall Shaffer, Slashfilm: 9/10
Glenn Kenny, RogerEbert.com: 3.5/4
Rodrigo Perez, Playlist: B+
Dulcie Pearce, The Sun UK: 4/5
Raphael Abraham, Financial Times: 4/5
Alex Flood, NME: 4/5
Jo-Anne Titmarsh, HeyUGuys: 4/5
Nicholas Barber, BBC: 4/5
Leah Greenblatt, Entertainment Weekly: B
Scott Collura, IGN: 7/10
Brian Truitt, USA Today 2.5/4
Rafaela Sales Ross, The Skinny: 3/5
Ian Sandwell, Digital Spy: 3/5
David Kats, The Film Stage: C+
David Ehrlich, Indiewire: C-

Very positive reviews without a score:
Pete Hammond, Deadline
Steve Pond, The Wrap
Germain Lussier, iO9
Roger Friedman, Showbiz411
David Jenkins, Little White Lies
Catherine Bray, Film of the Week
Eric Eisenberg, Cinemablend
Tim Grierson, Screen Daily
Leila Latif, AV Club

Reviews without a score that are positive with some reservations:
Stephanie Zacharek, Time Magazine
Justin Chang, LA Times
Donald Clarke, The Irish Times
Richard Trenholm, CNET
Owen Gleiberman, Variety

Mixed or negative reviews without a score:
David Rooney, THR
Richard Lawson, Vanity Fair

Having read every one of these reviews, these are the two criticisms I saw the most:

1. Too much set up for not enough pay off; they're scared we'll never get a sequel

2. People complaining about "white savior" tropes

Overall it seems like the reception is extremely positive. Currently sitting at an 85% on RT with an 8.2/10 average rating based on 34 reviews. RT doesn't have every review on the list yet.

famicommander
Posts: 28
Joined: 03 Sep 2021 17:15

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby famicommander » 05 Sep 2021 12:49

Villeneuve says he had to cut Gurney's balliset scene from the film. He filmed it and he loved it and it hurt him to cut it but he said he just couldn't keep it in the final cut.

Maybe it will make it into a sequel or an extended edition somewhere down the line.

Serkanner
Administrator
Posts: 2931
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby Serkanner » 06 Sep 2021 13:01

If we are in any way lucky there will not be another one.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

famicommander
Posts: 28
Joined: 03 Sep 2021 17:15

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby famicommander » 06 Sep 2021 14:08

Serkanner wrote:If we are in any way lucky there will not be another one.

Why? The reception has been extremely positive. I will see it myself before I decide whether I want a sequel. But based on the director's other four big budget films so far and the reaction to this one I expect it to be fantastic.

Serkanner
Administrator
Posts: 2931
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby Serkanner » 07 Sep 2021 10:09

famicommander wrote:
Serkanner wrote:If we are in any way lucky there will not be another one.

Why? The reception has been extremely positive. I will see it myself before I decide whether I want a sequel. But based on the director's other four big budget films so far and the reaction to this one I expect it to be fantastic.


I don't like Villeneuve's movies. They are over the top visual porn. Not one of his movies gave me the tiniest urge to watch it again.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

User avatar
Naib
Posts: 393
Joined: 30 Jan 2014 15:54

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby Naib » 08 Sep 2021 08:15

Serkanner wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Serkanner wrote:If we are in any way lucky there will not be another one.

Why? The reception has been extremely positive. I will see it myself before I decide whether I want a sequel. But based on the director's other four big budget films so far and the reaction to this one I expect it to be fantastic.


I don't like Villeneuve's movies. They are over the top visual porn. Not one of his movies gave me the tiniest urge to watch it again.

There is that. I've seen several of his films, once, but apart from Blade Runner 2049 I've never bothered try them a second time.

famicommander
Posts: 28
Joined: 03 Sep 2021 17:15

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby famicommander » 09 Sep 2021 11:00

Naib wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Serkanner wrote:If we are in any way lucky there will not be another one.

Why? The reception has been extremely positive. I will see it myself before I decide whether I want a sequel. But based on the director's other four big budget films so far and the reaction to this one I expect it to be fantastic.


I don't like Villeneuve's movies. They are over the top visual porn. Not one of his movies gave me the tiniest urge to watch it again.

There is that. I've seen several of his films, once, but apart from Blade Runner 2049 I've never bothered try them a second time.


But even still, the movie is getting near universal acclaim and it has already pulled Frank's original book into the top 50 of the Amazon's best seller list. I believe that's the highest the novel has been on that list.

Even if it's not your cup of tea the movie seems to be doing a great job of exposing new people to Dune. From what I can tell a lot of people here want it to fail just so that they can feel validated about whining about it because wonderboy and his idiot sidekick got producer credits. I'd rather see it for myself and then bitch about it after the fact, if warranted.

famicommander
Posts: 28
Joined: 03 Sep 2021 17:15

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby famicommander » 16 Sep 2021 22:18

On pace for a 30-40 million dollar opening for the limited markets it is launching in this weekend. Black Widow did 23 million for its opening in the same markets. Dune did about 8 million for Wednesday and Thursday early viewings.

It seems highly likely the sequel will be greenlit based on those numbers. Dune seems unlikely to match Black Widow's US box office because Dune will be free on HBO Max, but it'll still get some US cash and Dune has the benefit of getting a Chinese release, which this year's Marvel films will and have not. WB has also said that HBO streaming numbers will be a factor in the decision to greenlight the sequel.

Critically it's still sitting at 88% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 59 reviews. 7.9/10 average score.

Serkanner
Administrator
Posts: 2931
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby Serkanner » 17 Sep 2021 11:51

famicommander wrote:
Naib wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Serkanner wrote:If we are in any way lucky there will not be another one.

Why? The reception has been extremely positive. I will see it myself before I decide whether I want a sequel. But based on the director's other four big budget films so far and the reaction to this one I expect it to be fantastic.


I don't like Villeneuve's movies. They are over the top visual porn. Not one of his movies gave me the tiniest urge to watch it again.

There is that. I've seen several of his films, once, but apart from Blade Runner 2049 I've never bothered try them a second time.


From what I can tell a lot of people here want it to fail just so that they can feel validated about whining about it


Wrong again. I just don't give a flying fuck about movie adaptations of great literature for the simple reason they all failed to get across what literature does for me.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

famicommander
Posts: 28
Joined: 03 Sep 2021 17:15

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby famicommander » 17 Sep 2021 16:20

Serkanner wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Naib wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Serkanner wrote:If we are in any way lucky there will not be another one.

Why? The reception has been extremely positive. I will see it myself before I decide whether I want a sequel. But based on the director's other four big budget films so far and the reaction to this one I expect it to be fantastic.


I don't like Villeneuve's movies. They are over the top visual porn. Not one of his movies gave me the tiniest urge to watch it again.

There is that. I've seen several of his films, once, but apart from Blade Runner 2049 I've never bothered try them a second time.


From what I can tell a lot of people here want it to fail just so that they can feel validated about whining about it


Wrong again. I just don't give a flying fuck about movie adaptations of great literature for the simple reason they all failed to get across what literature does for me.

That doesn't explain why you'd want the movie to fail. Just don't go see it. How does it affect you in any way?

famicommander
Posts: 28
Joined: 03 Sep 2021 17:15

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby famicommander » 17 Sep 2021 21:22

Most sold fiction of the week on Amazon (hardcovers, paperbacks, e-books, audio book sales combined):
1. Forgotten in Death
2. The Last Thing He Told Me
3. It Ends With Us
4. Beautiful World, Where Are You
5. Dune (up 4 spots from last week; 18th straight week on the list)

Most read fiction of the week on Amazon (includes new purchases, subscription services, and people reading previously bought copies on Kindle):
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
4. Billy Summers
5. Dune (up 3 spots from last week; 34th straight week on the list)

This movie is going to sell more copies of Frank's books than they've sold since the man died.

Serkanner
Administrator
Posts: 2931
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby Serkanner » 18 Sep 2021 00:33

famicommander wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Naib wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Serkanner wrote:If we are in any way lucky there will not be another one.

Why? The reception has been extremely positive. I will see it myself before I decide whether I want a sequel. But based on the director's other four big budget films so far and the reaction to this one I expect it to be fantastic.


I don't like Villeneuve's movies. They are over the top visual porn. Not one of his movies gave me the tiniest urge to watch it again.

There is that. I've seen several of his films, once, but apart from Blade Runner 2049 I've never bothered try them a second time.


From what I can tell a lot of people here want it to fail just so that they can feel validated about whining about it


Wrong again. I just don't give a flying fuck about movie adaptations of great literature for the simple reason they all failed to get across what literature does for me.

That doesn't explain why you'd want the movie to fail. Just don't go see it. How does it affect you in any way?


Please quote me where I say I want the movie to fail.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

famicommander
Posts: 28
Joined: 03 Sep 2021 17:15

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby famicommander » 18 Sep 2021 01:21

Serkanner wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Naib wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Serkanner wrote:If we are in any way lucky there will not be another one.

Why? The reception has been extremely positive. I will see it myself before I decide whether I want a sequel. But based on the director's other four big budget films so far and the reaction to this one I expect it to be fantastic.


I don't like Villeneuve's movies. They are over the top visual porn. Not one of his movies gave me the tiniest urge to watch it again.

There is that. I've seen several of his films, once, but apart from Blade Runner 2049 I've never bothered try them a second time.


From what I can tell a lot of people here want it to fail just so that they can feel validated about whining about it


Wrong again. I just don't give a flying fuck about movie adaptations of great literature for the simple reason they all failed to get across what literature does for me.

That doesn't explain why you'd want the movie to fail. Just don't go see it. How does it affect you in any way?


Please quote me where I say I want the movie to fail.


What else is to be inferred from this quote?

"If we are in any way lucky there will not be another one."

Serkanner
Administrator
Posts: 2931
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby Serkanner » 18 Sep 2021 02:46

famicommander wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Naib wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Serkanner wrote:If we are in any way lucky there will not be another one.

Why? The reception has been extremely positive. I will see it myself before I decide whether I want a sequel. But based on the director's other four big budget films so far and the reaction to this one I expect it to be fantastic.


I don't like Villeneuve's movies. They are over the top visual porn. Not one of his movies gave me the tiniest urge to watch it again.

There is that. I've seen several of his films, once, but apart from Blade Runner 2049 I've never bothered try them a second time.


From what I can tell a lot of people here want it to fail just so that they can feel validated about whining about it


Wrong again. I just don't give a flying fuck about movie adaptations of great literature for the simple reason they all failed to get across what literature does for me.

That doesn't explain why you'd want the movie to fail. Just don't go see it. How does it affect you in any way?


Please quote me where I say I want the movie to fail.


What else is to be inferred from this quote?

"If we are in any way lucky there will not be another one."


This: I just don't give a flying fuck about movie adaptations of great literature

Whether it succeeds or fails is inconsequential to me.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

User avatar
Cpt. Aramsham
Posts: 163
Joined: 06 Oct 2012 11:11

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby Cpt. Aramsham » 18 Sep 2021 04:32

Then why do you think we would be lucky if there's not another movie? You claim it's a matter of indifference.

I have seen the film—twice, actually. It is not the book (on a scene-by-scene level it is less faithful than the Lynch adaptation), but it is a pretty good movie on its own merits, and I am convinced it will drive more fans to the books. Instead of trying to explain everything the book explains, it leaves a bunch of things about the universe mysterious and intriguing. This is a very good choice: it's easier to wrap your head around the idea that something is a mystery than to follow a long, complicated explanation, so in this way, it actually manages to reduce confusion while piquing the interest of the uninitiated.

Serkanner
Administrator
Posts: 2931
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby Serkanner » 18 Sep 2021 07:42

Cpt. Aramsham wrote:Then why do you think we would be lucky if there's not another movie? You claim it's a matter of indifference.

I have seen the film—twice, actually. It is not the book (on a scene-by-scene level it is less faithful than the Lynch adaptation), but it is a pretty good movie on its own merits, and I am convinced it will drive more fans to the books. Instead of trying to explain everything the book explains, it leaves a bunch of things about the universe mysterious and intriguing. This is a very good choice: it's easier to wrap your head around the idea that something is a mystery than to follow a long, complicated explanation, so in this way, it actually manages to reduce confusion while piquing the interest of the uninitiated.


You can only experience Dune for the first time once. I consider it a waste of an profound experience if you see the movie before reading the book. If we would have been so lucky there never would have been a Lynch movie, tv series or this crap. If we are lucky it stops here and now. Alas, I don't get my hopes up.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

User avatar
Cpt. Aramsham
Posts: 163
Joined: 06 Oct 2012 11:11

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Postby Cpt. Aramsham » 19 Sep 2021 01:26

It's widely considered that most readers don't properly appreciate the book on their first read, and that the "profound experience" tends to be something that opens up on re-reading. I actually think people who watch the movie first (or both movies, if the second matches) and then read the book might have a better overall experience.

However that may be, you are clearly hoping for the movie to fail, just as famicommander said and you dishonestly denied.